You are here

Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They?

Postby tomdot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm looking to grab a couple of Stillwell plugins, but when the demo asks me to register it takes me to a defunct webpage. I then noticed that the last time any news was posted was 2010, and the forums look like they've been dead for a few years now.

Are the actually alive still? Next question is - is it still safe to buy from them?

If they are alive, why is it so quiet over there?
tomdot
Regular

Re: Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They?

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 am

Hi tomdot!

I've also noticed the lack of activity over at the Stillwell Audio web site, although I don't ever remember hearing of them going under.

I'll put some feelers out and see if I can find out what's happened, as they have a truly impressive range of products that I still use on a regular basis.

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Zukan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 am

tomdot wrote:
If they are alive, why is it so quiet over there?

Apart from mega sales most companies are struggling to survive. Some have come out with new products and the smaller companies that are surviving is a testament to the loyalty and support that they receive from their user base.

I foresee many companies, in all sectors, going under this year....sadly.
Zukan

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses

Postby tomdot » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Normally I would say yes to that, however Stillwell Audio are producing some great plugins that a lot of people use and are still buying. They're small yes, but seemingly doing a lot of business not only with the Stillwell brand but with Schwa plugins too. Not only that, their plugins are included in Reaper so they must be earning a crust bigger than other small developers in their position.

I ended up stumping up the money for some plugins and they work great. I'm looking to grab a couple more at payday, however, the lack of activity means I'm still worried about future support and potential (non) updates.
tomdot
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:16 pm

They develop and design for other companies as well, I believe, so just because their own brand haven't seen any releases for a while doesn't mean they are not hard at work on something or other...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Ras Keita » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 pm

http://www.cockos.com/team.php

This is Stillwell...

John Schwartz
Italics

John joined Cockos in 2008, and since then we have seen astronomical growth by nearly every metric imaginable.

Having spent many years in industries varied and questionable (including Rock and/or Roll), John has become our moral compass, guiding us to the wonderful future.

John is so highly trained that he can type code that compiles correctly almost 3% of the time. He also makes some fantastic audio plug-ins.
Ras Keita

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks for the info - I knew Schwa and White Tie worked on Reaper, but didn't know they had officially joined the main team (or at least, Schwa)...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby White Tie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 am

Hello, just a smidge of rumour control if I may: Stillwell Audio very very much in business. Oh yes indeed. The lack of news and overt public activity for a while is simply a measure of quite how busy the behind-the-scenes activity is. I'll say no more Meanwhile, the trial / buy / support is still getting full attention and remains, I humbly suggest, splendid. Anyone having problems please contact the support@ address. Ta!
White Tie
Poster

Postby tomdot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Well this is good new to hear! Reading back, it might have come across as slightly scaremongering - I can just imagine someone over there panicking that some bloke was saying that you don't sell plugins anymore!

Obviously that wasn't the case, more of a "I really want these plugins, I hope they haven't fell in the bath and died"

So...what you been up to? Anything we might want to know about or be given a discount on?
tomdot
Regular

Postby Stef Andrews » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:06 pm

tomdot wrote:
So...what you been up to? Anything we might want to know about or be given a discount on?

I have to say I find this a bit rude. I may be overreacting, but it seems as tho you've asked if this company were still alive, there's been a discussion on the fact that companies will go under this year - basically as they don't make enough money - then you ask if there's anything you can get some money off!

To add to it, he's stated "he'll say no more", meaning to me that there's something big in the pipeline the company are excited about and that they're waiting for the right time to make a proper announcement.

I apologise if I'm going over the top, but it just seems pretty rude from where i'm sat.
Stef Andrews
Regular

Postby tomdot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:34 pm

It was a joke. You definitely are overreacting and going over the top.

I mentioned above I'd already bought the plugins and was going to buy more (Transient Monster is definitely on the list) before I even got a response to my question, so I'm hardly after a genuine freebie or a discount. If I were a cheapskate, I wouldn't want a discount, I'd simply not register the product as Stillwell's lenient evaluation policy means this is an option for those that don't want to reward the developer for their efforts.

I also mentioned that they appear to be well because of all the other work they do, so I hope that they haven't dropped support - as White Tie states they haven't and I'm happy.

Stillwell/Schwa appear to be a great company full of talent, with great looking and sounding plugins, with a fantastic pricing structure, and if anyone is looking for tools to do the job very well, then Stillwell would be the first place to go!
tomdot
Regular

Postby Stef Andrews » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:56 pm

My apologies, I simply didn't get the humour. It's hard in type at the best of times, maybe a smilie of sorts would have helped!
Stef Andrews
Regular

Postby tomdot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Stef Andrews wrote:maybe a smilie of sorts would have helped!

You should have said!! I was rummaging through some old stuff and found a load of these

Just place them anywhere you think they should go in any of my threads. Work doesn't often inspire a click on an Instant Graemlin

tomdot
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:05 pm

Stef Andrews wrote:maybe a smilie of sorts would have helped!

You should have said!! I was rummaging through some old and found a load of these

Just place them anywhere you think they should go in any of my threads. Work doesn't often inspire a click on a Instant Graemlin.

I like this game.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Scramble » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 pm

>My apologies, I simply didn't get the humour. It's hard in type at the best of times, maybe a smilie of sorts would have helped!

A good rule of thumb on this forum is to assume evere comment is tongue-in-cheek, unless you defintely have reason to think otherwise.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 am

White Tie wrote:Hello, just a smidge of rumour control if I may: Stillwell Audio very very much in business. Oh yes indeed. The lack of news and overt public activity for a while is simply a measure of quite how busy the behind-the-scenes activity is. I'll say no more Meanwhile, the trial / buy / support is still getting full attention and remains, I humbly suggest, splendid. Anyone having problems please contact the support@ address. Ta!

Thanks for the heads-up White Tie - we can all sleep soundly tonight knowing that Stillwell Audio is still alive and kicking behind the scenes.

Excellent news!

I love your stuff!

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby tomdot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 am

shufflebeat wrote:I like this game.

H a h a h a h a

It would be nice to see a new range out of Stillwell tbh - it seems the only thing they dont do is a multiband compressor. Maybe soon?!?!?!?!
tomdot
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm just about caught up with what I find essential/useful/interesting/useless. The last thing I need now is more ing choice.

+1 for Stillwell products and ethos.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.