You are here

Loreen: 'Euphoria'

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Loreen: 'Euphoria'

Postby Mike Senior » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:57 pm

This year’s Swedish Eurovision winner even managed to work its way into the UK charts, and its extensive use of parallel melodic motion between the bass and melody is an unusual treat. Most of the motions are in thirds, starting with the small upward and downward excursions heard under “evermore” (0:08) and “open door” (0:15) respectively, and moving to more extended chains of parallel thirds during the chorus on lines such as “forever till the end of time” at 1:34. There are also some nice parallel fifths on the last “on” (for example, 1:58). At heart, this ear-catching device is so simple that I can hardly believe it’s not used more often in chart tunes. Perhaps I should be careful what I wish for, though. Following Loreen’s success, we’ll probably be drowning in parallel thirds by Christmas.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Re: Loreen: 'Euphoria'

Postby Mike Senior » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:58 pm

I auditioned this track off the Now 82 compilation, and here are the Wikipedia credits:

Writers: Thomas G:son, Peter Bostrom
Production: Peter Bostrom, SeventyEight

Given the number three charting in the UK, I didn't realise quite how successful this track has been -- number one all over most of the rest of Europe and shifting more than a million copies. Crumbs. Anyway, back to the music...

This bass-vocal connection reminds me a bit of Abba's 'Money, Money, Money'. However, there's another Abba song that I'm strongly reminded of at 0:15, but I can't think for the life of me what it is. Can anyone put me out of my misery there? Maybe it's 'The Piper' off 'Super Trouper', but my copy's still on cassette. (Remember those?!)

For more critiques of commercial productions, browse The Mix Review Index.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster