You are here

Tympani sound?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Tympani sound?

Postby alexis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Hello - Looking for a tympani (a pair, or do they sometimes have three drum notes?) on my track. Anyone recommend a source ... on line or CD? I don't need something perfect and expensive, it's just for friends and family, maybe a step up from GM-level quality.

Thanks for any suggestions!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: Tympani sound?

Postby Daniel Drummond » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 am

If I remember right the Halion One instrument included with Cubase (that you already have) has a timpany preset.
Daniel Drummond
Regular

Postby alexis » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 am

Daniel Drummond wrote:If I remember right the Halion One instrument included with Cubase (that you already have) has a timpany preset.

Yes, thank you Daniel! I've been messing with the HSSE timpani for a while now, not having a lot of luck though. I don't know if it's a general MIDI patch or not, it does say GM 48 or something like that. In any case, I'm having a hard time getting the reverby elastic "boing" sound working right. At least I think that's what my problem is, it's either too soft, or too loud without the nice long decay.

Has anyone with Cubase here used HSSE's Timpani in one of their projects? Or to the original point, found a nice not expensive set of tymapni samples?
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby oggyb » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:39 pm

If you're sitting them back in the mix, feel free to compress to bring up the tail of the sample. Or just add a little more reverb than other elements of the mix.

I seem to remember the HalionOne sound has a lot of attack. Compressing can reduce or increase
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Postby alexis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:52 pm

oggyb wrote:If you're sitting them back in the mix, feel free to compress to bring up the tail of the sample. Or just add a little more reverb than other elements of the mix.

I seem to remember the HalionOne sound has a lot of attack. Compressing can reduce or increase
Hello oggyb! Your recollection is 100% accurate I believe, the HSSE timpani have an awful lot of attack. Unfortunately the timpani are front and center in the song, and in my hands the degree of compression necessary to tame the attack and bring up the tail introduced too much artifact (similarly with reverb). However, I will revisit this.

Thanks again!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Postby oggyb » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Try putting a gate over the track, assuming the hits are individual. Set to 6-20ms and see what happens.
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:23 pm

alexis wrote:Hello - Looking for a tympani (a pair, or do they sometimes have three drum notes?)

If you're aiming to be authentic, Classical orchestras generally used two, Romantic and later routinely had anything up to five. And they would all constantly be being retuned to different notes. Any more would probably need two players. No reason to restrict yourself to what a "real" orchestra could do, of course!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby oggyb » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
alexis wrote:Hello - Looking for a tympani (a pair, or do they sometimes have three drum notes?)

If you're aiming to be authentic, Classical orchestras generally used two, Romantic and later routinely had anything up to five. And they would all constantly be being retuned to different notes. Any more would probably need two players. No reason to restrict yourself to what a "real" orchestra could do, of course!

Correct, and in Britten the timpanist would be expected to re-pitch his drums in a split second, every other note.
oggyb
Frequent Poster