You are here

Soloing tracks in Nuendo

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Soloing tracks in Nuendo

Postby Elephone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi. I've probably got a slow brain... but I'm not sure what's going on with the solo buttons in Nuendo. It seems the solo functions both as 'enable' and 'solo'.

Often you want to hear a selection of tracks to listen to in isolation, so you solo those tracks.

However, it is quite reasonable to want to then solo one of those selected tracks to hear it alone, and then listen to the selection again.

Is there a way to do this without having to un-solo, then re-solo the smaller number of tracks.

(Sorry if this is really basic stuff)

Cheers.

James
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Soloing tracks in Nuendo

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:00 pm

There's no way, as far as I am aware, to do this on an ad-hoc basis.

But you could...

...link the tracks you want to toggle together.

...send tracks to a Group and solo the Group.

...folder tracks solo the folder.

You may reach a point where it may be simpler to mute tracks you don't want to hear than solo the ones you do.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby alexis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Elephone wrote:Hi. I've probably got a slow brain... but I'm not sure what's going on with the solo buttons in Nuendo. It seems the solo functions both as 'enable' and 'solo'.

Often you want to hear a selection of tracks to listen to in isolation, so you solo those tracks.

However, it is quite reasonable to want to then solo one of those selected tracks to hear it alone, and then listen to the selection again.

Is there a way to do this without having to un-solo, then re-solo the smaller number of tracks.

(Sorry if this is really basic stuff)

Cheers.

James

I've just recently become a big fan of the "Listen" function in Cubase's Control Room. If it's possible to "Listen" to more than one track at a time in Nuendo, that might do it for you (after setting the volume attenuation of the other tracks to -XXdB in the Control Room, as you desire).
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:54 pm

alexis wrote:I've just recently become a big fan of the "Listen" function in Cubase's Control Room. If it's possible to "Listen" to more than one track at a time in Nuendo, that might do it for you (after setting the volume attenuation of the other tracks to -XXdB in the Control Room, as you desire).
Listen simply ducks the rest of the tracks, whereas Solo mutes them, otherwise there's little difference - you can Solo or Listen to multiple tracks just the same.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby alexis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:05 pm

The Elf wrote:
alexis wrote:I've just recently become a big fan of the "Listen" function in Cubase's Control Room. If it's possible to "Listen" to more than one track at a time in Nuendo, that might do it for you (after setting the volume attenuation of the other tracks to -XXdB in the Control Room, as you desire).
Listen simply ducks the rest of the tracks, whereas Solo mutes them, otherwise there's little difference - you can Solo or Listen to multiple tracks just the same.

Excellent, hadn't done that yet!

That being the case, it might be less button clicks to use the Listen as a solo on multiple tracks, rather than using the actual Solo button, for reasons the OP described. Just set the amount of ducking on the Listen function in the Control Room to essentially a mute level. Just a suggestion though, it works on a single track of course, but as I mentioned I haven't actually tried it on multiple tracks simultaneously!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby Elephone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Wow! I thought I was being stupid.

I would have thought this would be a pretty necessary function that merely requires an 'enable' button as well as a 'solo' button. I mean, sometimes I might have 11 tracks solo'd, but then want to quickly listen to just one. To keep muting the other tracks is just unnecessarily tedius.

Oh well, thanks. I'll try the workarounds in Nuendo.

P.S. If Steinberg are trying to avoid adding too many buttons, the simple solution would be to offer optional buttons, like in other programs. Is Reaper any better on this front? I'm becoming increasingly tempted to give it a go!
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:06 pm

You can remove all of the solos by using the S button at the very top, then you can solo just the one track, but you wont be able to go back to the multiple soloed tracks you previously had.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Elephone wrote:I would have thought this would be a pretty necessary function that merely requires an 'enable' button as well as a 'solo' button. I mean, sometimes I might have 11 tracks solo'd, but then want to quickly listen to just one. To keep muting the other tracks is just unnecessarily tedius.
I don't really see it that way. 'Solo' doesn't say 11 tracks to me - one or two is sufficient. If your tracks are grouped sensibly I can't see why you'd want 11 tracks individually soloed.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Elephone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:09 pm

" 'Solo' doesn't say 11 tracks to me - one or two is sufficient. "

Exactly! That's why there should be an enable button too.

I don't always want to group my tracks, and in any case it's easier to decide which ones to group when you can easily enable & solo them. Sometimes I might have 24 tracks, several of which merely act as structural guides, and I'd like to be able to easily disable them quickly.

I don't know why people defend software for their oversights or laziness. It really wouldn't be that difficult to offer optional buttons, unless Adobe programmers only use geniuses.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Elephone wrote:I don't know why people defend software for their oversights or laziness. It really wouldn't be that difficult to offer optional buttons, unless Adobe programmers only use geniuses.

There are many features I'd also like to see - but I couldn't attribute their being missing as oversights or laziness!

I'm not 'defending' anything. I simply see no need for the feature you're describing and I wouldn't want an extra button for it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Elephone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:43 pm

It seems clear to me that it would offer a more efficient means of working, especially in the early stages before grouping, etc.

Anyway, I can't see why the button used for allowing the signal to be heard in recording mode (i.e. the little round button with the speaker symbol that turns yellow when on) can't function as an track 'enable' option in play mode.
Elephone
Frequent Poster