You are here

Best connection? Laptop tiny (1/8"??) stereo headphone out to T/S in powered speakers

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Best connection? Laptop tiny (1/8"??) stereo headphone out to T/S in powered speakers

Postby alexis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi - I'd like to play a .wav file from my laptop to powered speakers, with the above connections.

Where should I start looking for a simple, reasonably-priced commercial product to help me with this? As far as I know, I could even use my ART box, but I would maybe need a Y-connector to go from the laptop to the ART?

Or is the box overkill, I just need a custom cable with 2 T/S at one end and a (1/8" ??) stereo connector at the other?

Thanks for any thoughts!

[Edit: here is a pic of the laptop's headphone out: Dell Latitude D630 Stereo Headphone Out Port . It of course has USB ports, and also (FWIW) a mini-firewire port (visible in the same photo) and a serial port.]
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: Best connection? Laptop tiny (1/8"??) stereo headphone out to T/S in powered speakers

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:01 pm

I would use a standard minijack to stereo RCA-phono cable for the laptop connection, with the rca-phonos plugged into the ART DTI box, then TS cables from the other side of the DTI box to the speakers.

Ground loops are notorious in the kind of set up you describe, so the transformer inthe DTI box will provide a useful service -- and the flexible I/O connectivity will avoid having to make or find weird cables!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Best connection? Laptop tiny (1/8"??) stereo headphone out to T/S in powered speakers

Postby alexis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I would use a standard minijack to stereo RCA-phono cable for the laptop connection, with the rca-phonos plugged into the ART DTI box, then TS cables from the other side of the DTI box to the speakers.

Ground loops are notorious in the kind of set up you describe, so the transformer inthe DTI box will provide a useful service -- and the flexible I/O connectivity will avoid having to make or find weird cables!

H

Right, Hugh - thanks! I'm off to give ART another shower of shekels. Based on my buying habits from them in the last week or two, I wonder if I should buy stock in their company!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2