You are here

Logic Studio For Mastering ???

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby musicworld1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi

I'm looking to master projects, scores, and solo instruments. Would the mastering features in Logic Studio render a quality master ? or would it be advised to purchase a 3rd party plugin such as Wavelab 7 or Ozone 5 ?

What are some high end mastering plugins ? alternately what are some mid range mastering plugins ?
User avatar
musicworld1
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:00 pm
Without Music Life Would Be a Mistake

Re: Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby desmond » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:53 pm

Well, there are three very different tools there, Logic, Wavelab and Ozone. One is a DAW, one is a wave editor, and one is a plugin.

There is also really no such thing as a "mastering plugin", though some are promoted and designed as such. Any mastering process requires a bunch of tools and the tools needed will vary based on your needs, tastes and aesthetic. There are a *ton* of plugins out there, with different sounds, identities, sonic fingerprints and features.

Be aware that there is no such thing as "Logic Studio" anymore, there is Logic Pro, and Mainstage. Either are not "mastering applications" and while you could at a push use a DAW for mastering, it's not ideal - though some are better than others in this regard.

You're better of imo getting a wave editor like Wavelab, SoundForge, and exploring those while getting a feel for what tools those apps don't provide and where to fill in the gaps with third-party plugins. Also don't skimp on the monitoring and environment, as if you can't hear what you are doing, all the tools in the world won't give you good results...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6455
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?


Re: Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby G-Doubleyou » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:35 pm

If you do indeed have the Logic Studio Suite, it came with SoundTrack Pro and Waveburner, both capable of mastering.

Also on Mac is Quattro DSP, T-Racks standalone, there are also a few other audio editor that can host plugs.

User avatar
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:00 am

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3


Re: Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby musicworld1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:25 pm

desmond wrote:

Be aware that there is no such thing as "Logic Studio" anymore, there is Logic Pro and Mainstage 2

I checked the Apple site it confirms Logic Studios DVD box set still comes with Logic Pro 9, MainStage 2, Soundtrack Pro 3, and Jam Pack collections on six content DVDs. So why do you say Logic Studio is NOT Logic Studio anymore ???
User avatar
musicworld1
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:00 pm
Without Music Life Would Be a Mistake

Re: Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby Guy Johnson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm

I use Logic for mastering ... level EQ compression, limiting, reverb, expansion, all with automation. Editing.

as well as Waveburner for the final treatment.

I use 3rd party plugins as well as the logic/Waveburner ones.

I'm very happy with the workflow.
User avatar
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1329
Joined: Thu May 01, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: North Pembrokeshire

Re: Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby Dave Blackman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:47 am

Depends on what you mean by mastering. If you mean tweaking the audio sonically, then sure - fill your boots. All the tools are there; compression, EQ, limiting - honestly, I'd have been made up if I'd had something like that when I started doing this. There are better tools around, but if you're dipping your toes in the water it'll cover all your bases in the short term. The audio editing is a bit clunky, but if you're not doing anything too complicated you should be fine.

If you mean mastering as in PQ editing, ISRC encoding and generating and verifying DDPs and PMCDs for replication, then no. You'll need something else.

Dave
Dave Blackman
Regular
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:00 pm

Re: Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 am

musicworld1 wrote:I checked the Apple site it confirms Logic Studios DVD box set still comes with Logic Pro 9, MainStage 2, Soundtrack Pro 3, and Jam Pack collections on six content DVDs. So why do you say Logic Studio is NOT Logic Studio anymore ???

Apple retail do not sell boxed copies of software anymore, and Logic Studio was discontinued some time back, with Logic Pro and Mainstage moved to the App Store for purchase. Best you might be able to do is find somewhere that still has old stock, and this is probably why you might be able to get it from the Apple Online Store, if they still have stock to shift.

However, why you'd want to pay £417 for Logic, Mainstage, Soundtrack and Waveburner vs £160 for Logic and Mainstage I don't know. You'd be paying £250+ essentially for Soundtrack Pro and Waveburner, both discontinued and unsupprte apps and while ok, are not exactly brilliant (or stable).

Better off getting Logic and a good wave editor, or a wave editor and plugins imo, for that money.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6455
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?


Re: Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby HKPotential » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm

I hope at first you can distinguish the difference between mastering and mixing. Before going on to the mastering stage, make sure you bring out the best in your mix and focus on making the individual mixer tracks as efficient and energetic as possible. Dont forget to leave that -3db or around of headroom that all mastering engineers require. If you can "beef up" and cleanse your track within the mixing process, then the only thing you need to worry about when it comes to mastering is making sure you're getting a consistent sound through your tracks.

In an ideal world, your mix should be as perfect as possible with no problems to patch up within the mastering process.

Good Luck
User avatar
HKPotential
Regular
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00 am

Re: Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby musicworld1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:00 pm

desmond wrote:
musicworld1 wrote: why you'd want to pay £417 for Logic, Mainstage, Soundtrack and Waveburner vs £160 for Logic and Mainstage I don't know. You'd be paying £250+ essentially for Soundtrack Pro and Waveburner, both discontinued and unsupprte apps and while ok, are not exactly brilliant (or stable).

Better off getting Logic and a good wave editor, or a wave editor and plugins imo, for that money.


I get your point, and you're probably right about the Apple stock thing with it still being on the shelf. In contrast it's nice to to get Logic now at a cut price. Was Soundtrack Pro and Waveburner needed tools for mastering ? or can Logic do this alone.
User avatar
musicworld1
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:00 pm
Without Music Life Would Be a Mistake

Re: Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Soundtrack Pro is a wave editor. It's decent, but there are better options out there (Wavelab, SoundForge, Wave Editor, Audition etc) that are still being developed/supported.

Wave burner is a CD authoring/burning application.

Logic is not a substitute for either (which is why they were including in the original Logic Studio bundle).
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6455
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?


Re: Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Postby musicworld1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 pm

desmond wrote:Soundtrack Pro is a wave editor. It's decent, but there are better options out there (Wavelab, SoundForge, Wave Editor, Audition etc) that are still being developed/supported.

Wave burner is a CD authoring/burning application.

Logic is not a substitute for either (which is why they were including in the original Logic Studio bundle).


Crystal clear, cheers Dez.
User avatar
musicworld1
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:00 pm
Without Music Life Would Be a Mistake


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests