You are here

Yamaha MoX6 & Logic Pro

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Yamaha MoX6 & Logic Pro

Postby tim233 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi anyone know the settings I need to change to get the MoX6 and Logic/Mac talking to each other?
The synth comes with Cubase but it also says you should be able use Logic and other software just using the USB/Host connection (no audio or Midi leads required) I have tried various settings in the USB and MIDI utilities on the mox6. Maybe to do with the Saffire Pro interface I am using, as the Mox6 also has its own audio interface. many thanks in advance
tim233
Poster

Re: Yamaha MoX6 & Logic Pro

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:21 pm

If it's plugged in via USB then it will create it's own MIDI port, which you use in Logic just like any other external MIDI instrument.

Do you know how to use/setup external MIDI instruments in Logic?
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby tim233 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Desmond yes I have been using a MIDI controller keyboard in Logic with the same USB connection with no problem. But with this new USB/Host port on the synth, it is supposed to transmit MIDI and Audio data together, and is not registering either in Logic/Mac. In fact, when I first connected the synth, the Mac thought it was a 'computer keyboard' I was trying to connect.
tim233
Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:53 pm

tim233 wrote:But with this new USB/Host port on the synth, it is supposed to transmit MIDI and Audio data together, and is not registering either in Logic/Mac. In fact, when I first connected the synth, the Mac thought it was a 'computer keyboard' I was trying to connect.

That means, your computer should see both a virtual MIDI device, and a virtual audio device. Open your AMS Utility - is your keyboard listed under both the MIDI and Audio tabs? If not, install it's software it came with, the keyboard may need drivers to announce itself to the computer.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby tim233 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:09 pm

I have already downloaded and installed the latest Yamaha USB driver for the MOX6. I can see this driver in the System Preferences under 'Other' but there are no Device Names against the drop-down menu, even with the MOX6 connected and powered up. Not sure what you mean by AMS?
tim233
Poster

Postby MarkOne » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:13 pm

AMS=Audio MIDI Setup... in your applications/utilities folder :)

The other thing to watch is that the MOX will probably be installed as not only a MIDI port but also an Audio Interface (This is how my Roland works), so you can get the audio from the MOX down the USB cable but either that then becomes your interface, or you have to create an aggregate device in Audio Midi Setup to aggregate the MOX with your existing sound card/interface
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby tim233 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks MarkOne & Desmond. Ok the Saffire is there in the AMS but nothing that says Yamaha etc. Does that mean the driver is not installed? As I said, the driver shows up in the System Preferences under 'Other' but with no Device Name against it and greyed out Send buttons ?
tim233
Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:33 pm

If there is no audio interface listd in the AMS for the Yamaha, then there is no way to feed audio in via USB. Try a reinstall, or connect the Yammy's analog outputs to your regular audio interface and bring the audio in that way.

Ditto with MIDI.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby tim233 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks. Ok I downloaded & reinstalled the correct USB driver! (Yamaha/Steinberg)
Now MOX shows up in AMS ok.
Getting a MIDI signal into Logic ok, but no Audio signal from the MOX, so nearly there.
tim233
Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 am

tim233 wrote:Thanks. Ok I downloaded & reinstalled the correct USB driver! (Yamaha/Steinberg)
Now MOX shows up in AMS ok.
Getting a MIDI signal into Logic ok, but no Audio signal from the MOX, so nearly there.

So, so in Logic's audio driver preferences, which devices do you have set as the input audio device, and the output audio device? If you want to use the MOX as the input audio device, to feed it's audio into Logic, you'll need to choose it as the input audio device (I'm keeping things simple for now until we can verify everything is working ok).
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby tim233 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks Desmond. I have set Logic audio input to MOX, but still no audio to Track (track input set to 1/2) Also note: Is there not a way of getting digital audio out from the MOX but keep using the Saffire? (which is Firewire not USB) as its more preferable for ins/outs etc.
tim233
Poster

Postby tim233 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:42 am

Ok got the audio into Logic now by changing settings in MOX - Utility / USB I/O / Mode1
tim233
Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:50 am

tim233 wrote:Thanks Desmond. I have set Logic audio input to MOX, but still no audio to Track (track input set to 1/2)

Ok, so in the audio drivers preferences, you have the MOX set as the audio input device, yes?
It's probably only a stereo signal anyway, so record-enabling a stereo track on inputs 1 & 2 should be hearing the MOX audio. Are they the only inputs listed?

tim233 wrote:Also note: Is there not a way of getting digital audio out from the MOX but keep using the Saffire? (which is Firewire not USB) as its more preferable for ins/outs etc.

Yes, but as I said in my last post, I was trying to keep things simple for now - one thing at a time. In short, you have to use Aggregate Devices to aggregate multiple audio interfaces into one big virtual one, then use that virtual one in Logic. This gives Logic combined access to all the I/O of all the audio devices in the aggregate device you created. You do this in the AMS Utility.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby tim233 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Ok see my last post, Audio signal is there now thanks. I guess the Aggregate is the next step.
tim233
Poster

Postby tim233 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Yes I have set the MOX as the Audio input device, and set the Saffire as the Audio output device (both are listed as input and Output devices)
tim233
Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:17 pm

tim233 wrote:Yes I have set the MOX as the Audio input device, and set the Saffire as the Audio output device (both are listed as input and Output devices)

Ok you'll need to set up an aggregate device as I described in the previous post.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby tim233 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:50 am

Hi I've setup the Aggregate device in AMS, and made the MOX and Saffire sub-devices of the aggregate. The Aggregate now also appears in the Logic audio I/O preferences. Have set the ins/outs as thought logical but still no audio.
tim233
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 am

tim233 wrote:Hi I've setup the Aggregate device in AMS, and made the MOX and Saffire sub-devices of the aggregate. The Aggregate now also appears in the Logic audio I/O preferences. Have set the ins/outs as thought logical but still no audio.

Make sure you are choosing the correct inputs. If the MOX is the first audio device, then it's probably still inputs 1 & 2 of the aggregate device. If the saffire is first, then the MOX inputs will come after the saffire. So for instance, if the saffire has four inputs, the MOX will be coming up on inputs 5 & 6.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby tim233 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi I tried that but still no audio. In fact I've tried many combinations. Can you just confirm what the Logic audio I/O settings should be set to, and also the settings on the AMS. Thanks in advance
tim233
Poster

Postby tim233 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Ok I've sorted it I think! I hadnt stored the changes I previously made in the MOX utility USB (see above) so when powered down it reverted to original settings.

For info (and to help anyone else) the settings now are:

Logic Audio: both I/O = Aggregate Device
AMS setttings:
Saffire audio interface - sound output
MOX6 - sound input
tim233
Poster