You are here

Little MicroShift - a free plug-in

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Little MicroShift - a free plug-in

Postby tomas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Get your free Little MicroShift Plug-in:

https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2013/&rc=403-1029-017

iLok dongle required.
tomas
Regular

cheers,

t-:

Re: Little MicroShift - a free plug-in

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:09 pm

tomas wrote:iLok dongle required.
:roll:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby tomas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Well, I thought it would be fair to point out...
tomas
Regular

cheers,

t-:

Postby HKPotential » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:58 pm

soooo how much is a 20 cent ice cream cone?
HKPotential
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:40 am

The Elf wrote:
tomas wrote:iLok dongle required.
:roll:

:roll: Same here
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Mixedup » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Why the moaning about iLok? I mean, this thing is FREE if you have an iLok, which is the same registration/authorisation stuff they use for all their plug-ins. No-one's forcing you to have it and there are free alternatives if you want to avoid iLok. :roll:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Mixedup wrote:Why the moaning about iLok? I mean, this thing is FREE if you have an iLok

...but if you don't have an iLok and just want to demo the thing you can't. That seems crazy to me. Why would anyone buy an iLok to try a demo they may not end up wanting?

What's the point in doing that and closing off a huge chunk of your potential market?

And I speak as one who actually DOES have an iLok! :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Plenty to moan at in life if you want, this is not one of those things.

Thanks, the Mrs will like that !
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby HKPotential » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:57 am

Everyone who has an iLok should admit companies with iLok including ahem...Pro Tools, have not been the most forward thinking and generous.
HKPotential
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:15 am

"What's the point in doing that and closing off a huge chunk of your potential market?"

Stupid I agree. I had an email from Steinberg a day or so ago offering a "FREE!!" 30 day trial of Cubase 7. Was it really I wondered? I knew Steinies wanted a dongle some months ago for the trial, had they seen sense? Don't be daft Dave! STILL want a dongle when you get to the small print...Orta be a LAW!

I can download trials of Sam Pro x, Sonar/Cakewalk, ALL the Sony stuff, why not Cubase7?

BTW I have a dongle for Cubase LE6, bet it won't work for the 7 trial?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby SecretSam » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 am

On my laptop, I have two USB slots and a Firewire socket. So if I used Cubase (Synchrosoft USB dongle) and SoundToys (iLok USB dongle), then where would I plug the control surface, the keyboard, and so on ?

And in case anyone thinks iLok prevents piracy, I suggest a quick Google search.

Yet one more time for the thickies in the marketing department:

The only people inconvenienced by dongles are legitimate customers ... because people who use 'appz' are using software that has been modified to avoid them.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby HKPotential » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:50 am

SecretSam wrote:
Yet one more time for the thickies in the marketing department:

The only people inconvenienced by dongles are legitimate customers ... because people who use 'appz' are using software that has been modified to avoid them.

Totally true. Crackers have already found a way to bypass ILok keys to an extent where it's actually easier to crack an ILok than it is to just have a normal serial.
HKPotential
Regular

Postby Goddard » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:55 am

SecretSam wrote:On my laptop, I have two USB slots and a Firewire socket. So if I used Cubase (Synchrosoft USB dongle) and SoundToys (iLok USB dongle), then where would I plug the control surface, the keyboard, and so on ?

Can't one simply use a USB hub for such?
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:04 am

SafeandSound Mastering wrote:Plenty to moan at in life if you want, this is not one of those things.

Totally disagree here...

Why should a company expect me to buy an iLok in order to run something they're giving away? I'm still a little old school and feel that if a company wants you to use a dongle they should supply the dongle with the software. I rarely use any software that requires anything more than a serial number.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby HKPotential » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 am

I'm super new school and I think iLok is old school lol.
HKPotential
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:07 pm

James Perrett wrote:
SafeandSound Mastering wrote:Plenty to moan at in life if you want, this is not one of those things.

Totally disagree here...

Why should a company expect me to buy an iLok in order to run something they're giving away? I'm still a little old school and feel that if a company wants you to use a dongle they should supply the dongle with the software. I rarely use any software that requires anything more than a serial number.

They don't expect you to do anything though. The offer is there to those who have the required hardware; if you don't have it then that is unfortunate for you.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby SecretSam » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:11 pm

My grumble is not that they require an iLok for a freebie (but on reflection: why on earth would you need to copy protect something you give away for free ?).

My grumble is that they require an iLok for their paying customers.

And the suggestion that I carry a USB hub as well as a dongle .... is not well received ;-)
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:25 pm

It is only free for a limited time.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Well I've just redeemed one of the supplied codes, got my free copy of Little MicroShift, but before I can use it I have to download its iLok key @ ilok.com, and guess what?

Despite working fine with all the plug-ins that need it, my iLok isn't recognised by iLok.com (as usual!) so I'll have to do a search on the SOS Forum to find the long thread of iLok problems to remember how I finally got it to work last time I updated the darned thing.

I think I had to change browser in the end to even get it recognised - wish me luck! :crazy:

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I'll have to do a search on the SOS Forum to find the long thread of iLok problems to remember how I finally got it to work last time I updated the darned thing.

Ah, here we go, and guess what again?

The thread in question was started up a year ago by someone with a Soundtoys iLok problem :headbang:

www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php ... ber=976038

And the solution - I now have to download and run a legacy version Firefox 3.6 to before I log onto the iLok web site :madas: :crazy: :round1: :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Jack Ruston » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Look, we have iLok because as a community we have stolen software to such an extent that manufacturers have taken steps to protect their product. That's down to us, not down to them.

Sound Toys are giving away a free plug in. Why should they go to any effort to change the way they distribute their products for people who don't have iLok? If you'd like to use it, buy an iLok. It's certainly worth the spend just to get a free SoundToys plug in.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Jack Ruston wrote:Look, we have iLok because as a community we have stolen software to such an extent that manufacturers have taken steps to protect their product. That's down to us, not down to them.

Sound Toys are giving away a free plug in. Why should they go to any effort to change the way they distribute their products for people who don't have iLok? If you'd like to use it, buy an iLok. It's certainly worth the spend just to get a free SoundToys plug in.

Then as with Steinberg and Cubase 7. Don't say it is free!

This is almost as bad as those computer "free test and repair sites" where you spend an hour downloading and running the software only to find it is NOT free to fix things!

Err? Hang on a cotton pickin! If it is "free" why does it need protecting?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Don't get me wrong Jack - I'm prepared to go through all this to get my free Soundtoys plug-in as I love them so much.

I've now got the Little MicroShift up and running, and as expected it sounds gorgeous 8-)

And I don't even mind the iLok - it's just the archaic compatibility problems involved when you need to update its licenses that wind me up. My head's still reeling from having to temporarily downgrade from Firefox 19 to Firefox 3.6 just to get the license into my iLok :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Jack Ruston » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:51 pm

It is free. To say it isn't is like saying 'Well I had to buy a computer to use it, what a con!'

SoundToys software works via iLok. Why should they go to the effort of changing the method of authorisation and delivery. That just makes work for them if they then want to start charging for that software.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:03 pm

No, it isn't like saying that.

It is like saying: why should I bother to use software from a bunch of bozos who make it difficult for me to use it ?

So I won't.

Oh, look: lots of other software out there.

I have heard the SoundToys plugs, by the way, and they sound great. If they sold them one at a time instead of in a 500 quid bundle, and if they didn't need a dongle, then I would buy a few.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Kev Adams » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:05 pm

James Perrett wrote:Why should a company expect me to buy an iLok in order to run something they're giving away? I'm still a little old school and feel that if a company wants you to use a dongle they should supply the dongle with the software. I rarely use any software that requires anything more than a serial number.

Me too. I've avoided anything which needs iLok having read about all the problems people have had. I had (still have, in a sense) a copy of an older version of Autotune, but can't run it on Vista, and despite the fact that I could have upgraded for a reasonable price it would have required me to buy and wrestle with an iLok key. No way- and so Antares have lost my custom.
My Syncrosoft Dongle has been pretty trouble free, I have to say, but I hated having to keep switching that between PC and laptop, which was one reason for moving from Cubase to Reaper. Still need it for Wavelab on the PC but...

If I see the dread word iLok in any promotional or review literature I pass.
Kev Adams
Regular

Retired, hurt Bandcamp

Postby Jack Ruston » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:11 pm

They do offer the plug ins individually and they always have.

I'm afraid it's totally beyond me how people can complain about iLok. It's an inexpensive system attempting to protect manufacturers from theft. Theft that our community sees as an acceptable way of operating. Now a company have delivered an iLok protected product for free for a time limited period and people are complaining.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Jack Ruston wrote:

I'm afraid it's totally beyond me how people can complain about iLok. It's an inexpensive system attempting to protect manufacturers from theft. Theft that our community sees as an acceptable way of operating.

A product that uses iLok tells me that it is aimed at the sort of market that I don't want to be in. I'm much happier to deal with software companies that are prepared to trust their customers. I don't buy a huge amount of software these days but I would much rather give my money to the likes of Cockos or Runaway (AATranslator) than people like Steinberg or Soundtoys who treat their customers as their enemies.

It may also be worth saying that I buy quite a lot of software for other purposes and the use of dongles is virtually unknown outside music software. Yes, there are other licensing systems that we sometimes have to use but not dongles.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby SecretSam » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks Jack - I take that back about the bundle. Individual plugs. So now all they have to do for me is get rid of the iLok, and I'll buy one every payday :-)
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Goddard » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:33 pm

SecretSam wrote:And the suggestion that I carry a USB hub as well as a dongle .... is not well received ;-)

Receive it as you like. I was hardly defending or justifying or even commenting at all on dongle protection, merely asking whether a USB hub would not overcome a shortage of USB ports.

Picked up a Korg Nano set a while ago, consisting of all 3 controllers, and it thoughtfully included a USB hub. Not a dongle in sight. ;)
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Next