You are here

When should gear be turned off?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

When should gear be turned off?

Postby I'd Rather Play » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:57 pm

From the perspective of gear life/energy usage what and when should gear be turned off? Or put another way, how long should it be idle before it's worth turning it off?
I'd Rather Play
Frequent Poster

Re: When should gear be turned off?

Postby Bossman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 am

I'd Rather Play wrote:From the perspective of gear life/energy usage what and when should gear be turned off? Or put another way, how long should it be idle before it's worth turning it off?

I turn off my studio at the end of the day, and turn it all back on at the start of the day.. I have one switch that turns everything on/off.

I know of other studios that just leave everything powered up 24/7.. its always on.

I've heard people suggest that turning things on/off often can shorten its life, but I don't know how true that is - or perhaps it is relevant to some equipment more than others.. i don't know.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much... just switch it off at the end of the day!
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:51 am

I keep everything off unless I'm using it; I'm not made of money and electricity costs!
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby fay spook » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 am

At work I turn most things on at the start of the day and off at the end. I have a reasonable idea of what is needed for the day so I dont need to switch everything on. Switching on is the most stressful time for electrical equipment - light bulbs usually blow when they are switched on- but they are designed to deal with this, or should be. Obviously valves have a finite life and capacitors do too albeit a lot longer. Think if you need all your valve equipment running 24/7 just to keep it warm?? Depending on how the mains is handled in your studio it can be an idea to unplug things during a major electrical storm, perhaps an extreme example....or you could be outside recording thunder and lightening with your handheld recorder or running to the pub "for safety".
fay spook
Regular