You are here

side-by-side mix/master comparison

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

side-by-side mix/master comparison

Postby RishiP » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:13 pm

Hello everyone

In my ongoing struggle with making my tracks sound more professional I ask of your opinions:

http://soundcloud.com/krish-rula/pump-up-the-volume-remaster

http://soundcloud.com/krish-rula/pump-up-the-volume

Im really looking for tips on the overall tone of the song, not things like "add a vocal bit here" etc. The major change i made was in the eq section of mastering.

If you could help me decide which one in your opinion is better sounding, that would be greatly appreciated, and I would also gladly give any tips or advice you need.

I dont know a better way to get a count of which one is better, so either post here or leave a comment on the one you think is better,either way I thank you for your help.

Rishi
RishiP
Regular

Re: side-by-side mix/master comparison

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:05 am

From a quick listen the non-remastered sounds better here.

The 'remaster' has lost low-end weight and sounds less exciting. I can hear that maybe you're trying to control some of the subs, which is a good thing, but if the weight of your bass all lives down there you can only do so much before the bass begins to sound anemic. This is one reason to make sure that you don't rely solely on a low sine-wave sub for your bass, but make sure there is some higher harmonic interest to help the ear 'hear' that lower bass on smaller speakers.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:36 pm

Listening on a laptop.....I find the remastered version much clearer and each sound comes through. The pre-master sounds like the sounds are competing but the stabs have more impact!

Postby RishiP » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I just listened to both in my car on my way to work and I think I have to go back and find a good middle ground. I agree that the remastered one sounds better on my laptop and the unremaster sounds cluttered, but in my car the remaster lost a lot of power.

The major difference I made on the remaster is a wide dip around 1kHz of 3db on eq, somehow it made it clearer on my laptop. i need to double check what happened to my lowmids, which I may have cleared out using a tubetech pe1c attenuation knob

I appreciate the help and hope to hear more feedback from others. Especially if you listen on different systems.

Thanks again
Rishi
RishiP
Regular