You are here

VST synths routing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

VST synths routing

Postby Wiseau » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:04 am

Hi

I've just started using Komplete vst synths, Massive, Absynth etc. However all patches only play
out of midi channel 1. They're not set to 'omni' or ' all midi'.

Channels 2,3 etc only produce sound when routed to channel 1, so I'm unable to have different patches on each midi track. My other vst synths work fine, so there are no problems system wise.

I've downloaded the manuals, and they don't cover it, only the audio/midi setup - no problems there either.

It's a mystery, and a little frustrating, as I've been using vst synths for a long time, and my whole setup is generally used for midi work.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Wiseau
Regular

Re: VST synths routing

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 am

From what you're saying above you seem to have things back to front. You route *to* a VSTi on a specific MIDI channel, not *from* the VSTi.

Not sure what DAW you're using, but...

Open an instance of Kontakt (if you're using Cubase, load it into the Instrument Rack - *not* as an Instrument Channel), load in two instruments and set one instrument to respond on channel 1 (A1) and the other to respond to channel 2 (A2).
Now create two MIDI tracks. Route both MIDI tracks to Kontakt and set one channel to output MIDI channel 1 and the other to MIDI channel 2. You should now be able to access either of the two loaded instruments.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Wiseau wrote:Channels 2,3 etc only produce sound when routed to channel 1, so I'm unable to have different patches on each midi track.

Only some software instruments are multi-timbral. Those that are not, it's simple: Create a new track, add a second instance of that instrument, choose a sound. You can have as many sounds going as your computer can handle.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Wiseau » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:38 pm

The Elf wrote:From what you're saying above you seem to have things back to front. You route *to* a VSTi on a specific MIDI channel, not *from* the VSTi.

Not sure what DAW you're using, but...

Open an instance of Kontakt (if you're using Cubase, load it into the Instrument Rack - *not* as an Instrument Channel), load in two instruments and set one instrument to respond on channel 1 (A1) and the other to respond to channel 2 (A2).
Now create two MIDI tracks. Route both MIDI tracks to Kontakt and set one channel to output MIDI channel 1 and the other to MIDI channel 2. You should now be able to access either of the two loaded instruments.

I'm ok with the first bit probably how I described it.

I'm using Cubase 6.07

I'll try what you suggested.

To anwser Desmond as well, it is multi.

The patches sound great, I want to get playing.
Wiseau
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Wiseau wrote:To anwser Desmond as well, it is multi.
Kontakt is, but your original question was about Absynth and Massive, which aren't.
BJG145
Frequent Poster