You are here

ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear

Postby LeeJamieHayes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 am

Morning,

I am interested in the following three devices to start learning to record, mix and master but am unsure of what the best option would be.

If you could recommend me some different setups in which I could start recording my new project properly instead of using Logic's MIDI instruments that would be great!

Lee
LeeJamieHayes
Poster

Re: ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear

Postby OneWorld » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am

LeeJamieHayes wrote:Morning,

I am interested in the following three devices to start learning to record, mix and master but am unsure of what the best option would be.

If you could recommend me some different setups in which I could start recording my new project properly instead of using Logic's MIDI instruments that would be great!

Lee

Got to be an X32 surely, a lot of modern digital desks act as mixer/control surface/recorder. The nearest I came to that was the Yamaha 01X (ok no recorder) which hitched up to Cubase a treat, though Yamaha in their wisdom dropped it, after telling us with having MLAN was 'future proof' well it was until I bought one and the 'future' stopped right there lol
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby LeeJamieHayes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 pm

OneWorld wrote:

Lee

Got to be an X32 surely, a lot of modern digital desks act as mixer/control surface/recorder. The nearest I came to that was the Yamaha 01X (ok no recorder) which hitched up to Cubase a treat, though Yamaha in their wisdom dropped it, after telling us with having MLAN was 'future proof' well it was until I bought one and the 'future' stopped right there lol

Why the X32 in your opinion?
How will that particular device aid me over the A&H and seperate preamps etc?

Cheers!
LeeJamieHayes
Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 pm

LeeJamieHayes wrote:
OneWorld wrote:

Lee

Why the X32 in your opinion?
How will that particular device aid me over the A&H and seperate preamps etc?

Cheers!

Research the specs - that's your job! I was just going off what facilities each of them offers and also look at reviews and user comments for a more objective perspective. I find the reviews in SOS mag really good, though there are others. When I am buying equipment I also do a search on problems for example, the search string "behringer x32" +problems
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm

devices to start learning to record, mix and master

web
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:41 pm

Ohm's Law states, "You're PA isn't as powerful as you think it is".

Shouldn't that be the power law? P=VI? (Or P=UI if you are not living in Scunthorpe.)

As for the OP, Behringer - you will have it for a week, Mackie: you will have it for a year, A&H, you will have it for a life-time.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:43 am

The Red Bladder wrote:

Shouldn't that be the power law? P=VI? (Or P=UI if you are not living in Scunthorpe.)

Too easily confused with P=Ct where:
P = the extent to which one needs to visit the bathroom (levels of anxiety, 1-9)
C = capacity (cc),
t = time (hrs)

P.S. Why pick on Scunthorpe? A fine town with the Prime Minister at it's centre.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby DGL. » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:32 am

The Red Bladder wrote:

As for the OP, Behringer - you will have it for a week, Mackie: you will have it for a year, A&H, you will have it for a life-time.

As they have been saying over on soundforums, This ain't your fathers behringer. And don't forget the midas PRO series is made in the same factory by the same people and so far the few people that have had problems (out of over 30,000 X32's sold!) have had them fixed quickly and efficiently.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby LeeJamieHayes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:35 am

shufflebeat wrote:
devices to start learning to record, mix and master

web

Funnily enough my first device was a boss BR-800. I never got on with it as the interface was too cluttered.

I prefer working on a Mac for audio editing.
LeeJamieHayes
Poster

Postby LeeJamieHayes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 am

I've had a real think and I'm still unsure of what route to go. I dont really need a mixer at the moment as I'm sure I could cope without. I think i'm going to focus on upgrading my interface first as I only use a Line 6 UX2 at the moment.

I'm looking at the apogee stuff as I'm a fan of their gear since using it in the studio. I also heard good things about RME and Focusrite. What interfaces do you reccomend and how will a interface tie in with a mixer later on?

I am pretty set on an SM57 and a Sontronics Saturn as my first two mics which I'll use to start experimenting with mic position and editing.
LeeJamieHayes
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 am

You are probably right to abandon the mixer idea for now as I've seen a few beginners put of from recording for life after buying a package deal including a complicated mixer.

I'd suggest that you look at RME for interfaces. I use ADAT as my standard way of getting signals in and out of my interface as there are a variety of devices that will convert from analogue to ADAT (and back again) from the Behringer ADA8000 at the bottom end right up to Audient and others at the high end.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby sambrox » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:55 am

The Red Bladder wrote:

Shouldn't that be the power law?

Sorry to be pedantic chaps, but I'm pretty sure Ohm's Law says, "Your PA"....

Also, what's an outboard ear?

:D

Cheers,
Sam
sambrox
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:26 pm

sambrox wrote:
The Red Bladder wrote:

Shouldn't that be the power law?

Sorry to be pedantic chaps, but I'm pretty sure Ohm's Law says, "Your PA"....

Also, what's an outboard ear?

:D

Cheers,
Sam

Much obliged, Sam. I don't consider that pedantic, by the way. That's just correct.

I believe an outboard ear is a second opinion on your mix. :)
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

Postby sambrox » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 pm

shufflebeat wrote:I believe an outboard ear is a second opinion on your mix. :)

Hahaha, that makes sense :lol:

Cheers,
Sam
sambrox
Regular

Postby Joe Sanborn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Lee

Hi Lee,
This is Joe Sanborn with the Music Group. Please let me know if I can answer any questions in regards to the X32.

The X32 is an ideal choice for you recording application.
- 32 Midas designed mic preamps
- 32x32 FIrewire and USB interface
- Control Surface functions including HUI and MIDI CC commands on the Assign Section
- Full recall including mic preamp and fader positions
- Full channel strip, EQ, dynamics
- EQ and compression on all Buses including Main Mix
Full details at:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/X32.aspx
There is a Video tab on this page as well.

You may also want to take a look at the BEHRINGER forums page:
http://forum.behringer.com/
There is an entire X32 section.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your project!

Kind Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
Joe Sanborn

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:32 am

Apologies for my somewhat flippant previous suggestion, I was in too much of a hurry.

Your initial plan to buy gear as a first step did start a few red lights flashing. If you haven't read this first you might be tempted to spend unwisely (by helpful sales execs).

Mike Senior - Shifty Fades at Play
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster