You are here

Novation Zero SL vI vs Vii

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Novation Zero SL vI vs Vii

Postby OneWorld » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Could anyone tell me what advantages Zero SL II has over Zero SL I, as the earlier version has 2 LCDs but the later one only 1. And if they both use AutoMap 4, what is the point of Zero SL II when it does nothing the earlier version cannot do?

A related question.....

Automap sets up the Automap server, and I noticed on some of my VSTs (am using Cubase) some VSTs are listed as the VST itself, and others, Kontakt 5 for example, just show up as the Automap version, this was quite irritating because I had a load of tunes created using Kontakt 5. I bought a Zero SL I, installed Automap, then found I couldn't access those songs as the project in Cubase was looking for Kontakt 5 and not Kontakt 5 (Automap)

Is there a way to force Automap to show both version? or some work around in Cubase, in the end I had to uninstall Automap and then roll back to the drive image made with I TrueImage before installing Automap.

So now I have the hardware sat there doing nothing, but I did like the functionality where it did work, and now wondering whether if I bought the Zero SL II, it might work better than the earlier hardware.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Re: Novation Zero SL vI vs Vii

Postby chris... » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:42 pm

OneWorld wrote:and others, Kontakt 5 for example, just show up as the Automap version
That doesn't sound right at all. Both versions should be available.

Are you on Mac or PC ?
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:42 am

I have an SL Zero mk 1, and regard it as a complete waste of money. By the time I find out what each fiddly little control is connected to, I could have done it quicker with a mouse.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:16 am

Agreed. It gave me a taste of what a control surface could do but I didn't want to go on using it. I replaced it with a second hand Mackie Control Pro.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio  

Postby OneWorld » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:38 pm

chris... wrote:
OneWorld wrote:and others, Kontakt 5 for example, just show up as the Automap version
That doesn't sound right at all. Both versions should be available.

Are you on Mac or PC ?

Hmmm, am on a PC, using Cubase 5, various soft samplers (Gigastudio VST - that does show both standard and Automap in VST Instruments) Kontakt 5, as mentioned I only see the Automap listing in VST instrument, I use several soft synths as well, some show both Automap and non-Automap, some don't, but the irritating thing is, when I load the Automap version of ther VST, I expected it to load a saved patch, but no, it was a completely new instance, so lost all the patches
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 pm

SecretSam wrote:I have an SL Zero mk 1, and regard it as a complete waste of money. By the time I find out what each fiddly little control is connected to, I could have done it quicker with a mouse.

Well, yep, sort of mirrors my experiences with it, makes many bold claims but like a lot of software, doesn't quite live up to the claims, and as ConcertinaChap says, maybe it is better to buy a good control surface like the Mackie
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeySpank » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:06 pm

I bought mine because Ultravox use them live with GForce soft synths. I figured if it was good enough for Billy Currie it was good enough for me.

But like all soft controllers you need to take time to learn how to use it. Personally speaking, I'm like you guys and don't have the patience! But having the machine auto-remap every time I select a new soft synth or effect in Logic is actually very handy if you think about it. And the keyboard action is pretty nice (aftertouch too!).

My biggest frustration is actually the touch-sensitive knobs: the little screen changes its display if you so much as graze against the wrong knob when you're moving your hand. Which sounds a bit rude...
MonkeySpank
Regular

Spanky