You are here

how to : be sure plug ins are compatible?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

how to : be sure plug ins are compatible?

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 am

Hi,

I'm slowly getting to grips with DAW recording/editing/production (using REAPER)(and after a confidence boost and encouragement from this forum)

I am intrigued (& often tempted) by reviews of various plugins, for example: IK Multimedia classic studio reverb (SOS august 2006).

Whatever the inherent value of a purchase i hesitate as i am unsure of the steps to take to check if the plug in will work with my set up and if it will behave in the same (straightforward) way those plug in's that are bundled with my DAW of choice do?

With a few more months of working and saving I am on course to get a Prism Sound LRX2 location recorder for our school, with it's bundled MTR software and also a version of Sadie 6; so how a plug in behaves with other DAW's generally is also my question.

Are there some introductory guidlines or check lists that will help me?

regards

steve

Re: how to : be sure plug ins are compatible?

Postby The Elf » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:03 am

As long as a plug-in supports the format you use (e.g. VST, RTAS, AU, etc.) then it should work. The only real problems may come if you are using a 64-bit DAW and try to use a 32-bit plug-in.

As to whether it works in a way that you are happy with... Try downloading demos of plugs that interest you and see how they work. That's why manufacturers provide demos and is as good a guarantee as you're going to get.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Kwackman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:07 am

Plug-ins come in a few formats- VST and AU (Audio Unit) are the most common. There are others including at least 2 for protools.

I think Reaper takes the VST plug-in format.
So, if a company says there plug-in is VST compliant, it will work in your DAW.

Most plug-ins come in at least VST and AU.
PSP for instance make a nice compressor, it comes in vst and AU.
So, when I'm using Cubase, the VST version works, and when using Logic, the AU version works.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby Kwackman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 am

The Elf beat me to it, and put it better!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 am

many thanks for these answers and advice. It seems there are not too many surprises in store.

on and up!

steve