You are here

Small handheld portible recorder for military wives choir

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Small handheld portible recorder for military wives choir

Postby Dodger » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Hello

My sister sings in a devision of the military wives choir and they are looking at buying a small portable recorder similar to the Zoom H2?

this is just to record and listen back to rehearsals and possible upload to there website. they are looking to spend up to £150

the only features they really need is to record stereo then preferably a line out to plug into there rehearsal PA to listen back. also there are not the most technically minded people so as simple as possible to work and get audio files off is the best.

they currently using an Ipad but are worried the lady whose ipad they use may get reposted ...

I am a where there are dozens of units like this but having only ever used a tascam DR-100 which is way out of budget was just after some guidance

thanks

Jack
Dodger
Regular

Re: Small handheld portible recorder for military wives choir

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:12 pm

There are numerous recorders that will meet your budget criteria that are relatively easy to use. Two things I'd suggest to look-out for:

1) Can the recorder be fastened to a mic-stand or tripod easily? Many amateur recordings I hear are marred by almost constant handling noise or being placed inappropriately on a table or something as it was the only satisfactory means of supporting the recorder - but in a dire position for getting a useful, balanced recording.

2) How 'stereo' are the mics? Sometimes, although there are two mics, they are omnidirectional. Now I love spaced-omnis for recording choirs, but the stero effect with mics about an inch apart would be virtually non-existent. Look for cardioid mics in an X/Y configuration - ie mics at 45 degrees and facing inwards.

Don't know if you've found a good site to compare machines. If not, check-out SOLID STATE SOUND . A great range of products, with good descriptions, and at competitive prices. (I have no connection with them.)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Do many of them have a decent Android phone like a Samsung Galaxy S3? They're everywhere right now and cheap as chips... and you can use any USB audio device with generic drivers... such as a USB mic.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby molecular » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:53 pm

I have two H2s I use for school projects quite often. They are a breeze to operate and they actually have four mics, so you can do cardioid at 90º or at 120º or get a kind of bodged 4 channel surround.

They have a small camera-style threaded attachment for tripods etc, rather than a mic stand-compatible one but that's what all the hand held recorders I've seen have, and you get a little plastic handle to screw into it free which goes some way to reducing handling noise.

If I needed another similiar thing, I'd go for the same again.

I have a Sony D50, which is probably the most well-used thing I have, but that is a step up, budget wise.
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.

Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby John Willett » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:44 am

I would look at the Olympus LS12 or LS14 if money is tight, or the Olympus LS100 if yoo can spare a little more.

Also the Tascam range is good.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons