You are here

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626 ? plz help

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626 ? plz help

Postby triorg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:51 pm

hi, im having a debate with my self so i have come to the sos family for guidance :)

im looking to buy a new firewire and im struggling to make the leap, i have 2 in mind which are both about the same price £400,Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626,,,,

i have read the reviews in sos and im 50/50 so please could you give me some wise words and help me choose,,
i currently have the focusrite pro 20 (5yrs old now) , windows 7 pro, cubase 7 artist,and record mainly heavy metal/thrash,,,,

many thanks
triorg
New here

Re: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626 ? plz help

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 pm

I have both, and there is fairly little to choose between them in terms of features. M-Audio's control panel/mixer utility is simpler, but Focusrite's is more powerful. The M-Audio has an extra bank of ADAT I/O, the Saffire has a couple of other bells and whistles the ProFire doesn't. The ProFire refused to talk to my crappy Dell laptop, the Saffire has got on well with all my PCs. Other than that, I think I could happily have used either on any given session and got pretty much the same results.

However, there seem to be a few question marks around at the moment about M-Audio's ongoing support for the ProFire 2626 -- apparently there are still unresolved problems with the Mountain Lion drivers, not that that will affect you -- so if you take that route, you might want to chase them up and check what their plans are.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster

Postby triorg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:06 pm

thanks sam, you made some good points there, i think you have convinced me to lean towards the saffire as i use a pc and use a laptop. and i haven't had any problems with my old saffire 20,,,
triorg
New here

Postby James Perrett » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:26 am

As far as I know... (I could be wrong)

Profire2626 = Bridgeco chipset
Saffire Pro 40 = Wavefront DiceII chipset

Both are slightly 'iffy' and fussy about what they connect to but, if you can't afford RME, then I'd probably go for a DiceII based unit over a Bridgeco unit.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Goddard » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:19 pm

James Perrett wrote:As far as I know... (I could be wrong)

Profire2626 = Bridgeco chipset
Saffire Pro 40 = Wavefront DiceII chipset

Both are slightly 'iffy' and fussy about what they connect to but, if you can't afford RME, then I'd probably go for a DiceII based unit over a Bridgeco unit.

James.

The Dice chips are from TC Applied Tech, not Wavefront (formerly Alesis, who make ADAT Tx/Rx chips).

Latest Saffire Dice drivers (v4.0) are much improved latency-wise.

Dunno about the chip used in the Profire 2626, but afaik Bridgeco (whose chips were apparently used in older Profire models) are now affiliated with Archwave (whose chips are used in some newer "hybrid" FW + USB interfaces).

According to Vin/TAFKAT at DAWbench, M-Audio were developing their own drivers rather than merely repackaging their chip vendor's supplied drivers, although dunno if that applied to the Profire 2626 or still even holds true.

If the product description refers to "JetPLL" then it's a Dice-based interface.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Goddard wrote:
According to Vin/TAFKAT at DAWbench, M-Audio were developing their own drivers rather than merely repackaging their chip vendor's supplied drivers, although dunno if that applied to the Profire 2626 or still even holds true.

It did althrough I'm not sure what the current state of play is.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster