You are here

Slate Raven

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Slate Raven

Postby smiller » Tue May 07, 2013 5:09 pm

While I feel the article on the Raven in the most recent issue was was well written and makes me want to try the control system out, I am concerned about positioning monitor speakers. It would appear the the monitors would have to be angled downwards or placed too far out to the sides. I am also concerned about the reflections from the surface producing phase cancellation at very audible frequencies. The screen is tilted at such an angle that it would even appear to block your view into a live room. This may be unavoidable as it is not 3-D as a hardware mixer is and requires the tilt in order to work from a seated position. The smaller MTi may be a better choice. Any thoughts?
smiller

Re: Slate Raven

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed May 08, 2013 9:42 am

smiller wrote:I am concerned about positioning monitor speakers.

The Raven console is quite high, but not excessively so compared to a full studio console, and it's not that wide either... There were no issues at all as far as I was aware with the montior speaker positioning or reflections during my review.

I am also concerned about the reflections from the surface producing phase cancellation at very audible frequencies.

Again, not a problem in practice as far as I was aware -- and that was something I had considered myself prior to the review. The speakers would have to be mounted almost directly above the screen for there to be a significant issue!

The screen is tilted at such an angle that it would even appear to block your view into a live room.

Again, not really... the console back is not much higher (if at all) than a typical SSL or Neve desk. When reviewing the beast, it was set up with a large TV monitor behind it for AV-post applications, set roughly where a studio window might be, and I had no problems viewing that at all.

The smaller MTi may be a better choice.

At the time of the review the details of the MTi wee still being finalised... but there was talk of the frame having an adjustable angle. The MTi will be very popular indeed because it provides most of the MTX advantages at a much more affordable price and in a foramt which cis far better suited to small home and project studios.

The MTX is a flagship product primarily intended for pro facilities and high-end artist and project installations where it would be competing against an SSL AWS console or a Neve Genysis or similar...

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Slate Raven

Postby OneWorld » Thu May 09, 2013 12:39 pm

I'll sit on a higher chair if the monitors are too high - it looks brill - I want I want I want!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster