You are here

Burning a Red Book CD Master

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Burning a Red Book CD Master

Postby AstraLeadGuitar » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:22 pm

Greetings fellow forum readers! I'm looking forward to participating on the Sound on Sound Forum.

Regarding making a master CD, Tascam seem to think that this can be burned onboard the Tascam 2488 Mark II digital portastudio. However, I presume this wouldn't be up to Red Book Standard for one thing due to the lack of ISRCs. The last time I had a production master made, I wanted ISRCs embedded, so I got a professional mastering engineer to make a Red Book Master using the CD-R the Tascam had burned. However, this time round, I'm wondering whether I have to go to that trouble again.

Have any of you guys or gals on the forum used the software Cdrdao available from SourceForge which apparently allows for full control of sub-channel data such as ISRCs? I'd be interested to know whether it's easy to use and really up to the task of making a professional RB Master, i.e., no nasty surprises with it not playing on standard players! Looking forward to your views.
AstraLeadGuitar
New here

Re: Burning a Red Book CD Master

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:48 pm

I've not used CDRDAO for production masters myself although I understand that it will produce discs suitable for use as masters (they're not strictly red book discs as red book discs can only be pressed, not burned). Recently I've started using it as part of another software package to burn listening copies of DDP filesets and it seems to work fine.

I started off using CDRWin and then moved to Feurio and then Plextools to burn masters for replication. Plextools is extremely useful as it allows you to automatically perform quality tests on the disc after burning if you have the right drive.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby AstraLeadGuitar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:29 pm

James Perrett wrote:I've not used CDRDAO for production masters myself although I understand that it will produce discs suitable for use as masters (they're not strictly red book discs as red book discs can only be pressed, not burned). Recently I've started using it as part of another software package to burn listening copies of DDP filesets and it seems to work fine.

I started off using CDRWin and then moved to Feurio and then Plextools to burn masters for replication. Plextools is extremely useful as it allows you to automatically perform quality tests on the disc after burning if you have the right drive.

Thanks very much for your informative reply, James. What I want to do is have a master CD-R with ISRCs and UPC embedded, which will first serve as master for duplication and then be good enough to be able to produce a glass master for replication. Hence my interest in CDRDAO. Plextools sounds interesting. Since your post, I have visited the Plextor website and saw it for download but I presume you have to have one of their Plextor drives installed in order to use it? I just have a regular Lightscribe CD-R-DVD drive in my Compaq Laptop.
AstraLeadGuitar
New here

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:09 am

You need the right sort of Plextor drive in order to write discs and perform advanced testing but, if your drive supports it, you can check for C2 errors which will give a basic go/no go indication. Nero's Drivespeed will also test for C2 errors.

It turns out that I was wrong about using CDR-DAO. I was confusing it with CDRecord which is the one I've been using. CDRecord is free too.

James.
James Perrett

Postby Scramble » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:35 am

> I presume this wouldn't be up to Red Book Standard for one thing due to the lack of ISRCs

You don't strictly need ISRCs, I think the latest Red Book standards recommend them but really they're not part of the CD standards, they're just meta-data, and the same applies to UPC codes.

Having said that, it's still a good idea to include them.

A lot of CD manufacturers these days will accept a DDP file, which is a better bet than sending a CD, but cheap software that can render a DDP file is not easy to find.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Scramble wrote:
A lot of CD manufacturers these days will accept a DDP file, which is a better bet than sending a CD, but cheap software that can render a DDP file is not easy to find.

But not impossible...

I've done 2 DDP projects in Reaper so far and I'm about to submit a third.

You'll find some free tools at

http://ddp.andreasruge.de

James.
James Perrett

Postby Red Mastering » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:41 pm

interesting, didn't know reaper has ddp option. Very worthy to check it considering the sonoris ddp creator isn't cheap...:/
Red Mastering
Regular

online mastering

Postby James Perrett » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:17 am

Reaper's DDP isn't exactly intuitive and the only instructions that I could find were in a YouTube video so I added a post to their forum with the essentials from the video so it might be worth a search for those.

Edit:

Here are the instructions...

To those that don't want to watch the video, the important points are:

Set sample rate to 44.1kHz, Frame rate to 75 and project BPM to 240 (not sure why) in the Project Settings dialog.

Place a marker named ! at the start.

Leave 2 seconds of silence at the start before the first track marker which should be labelled something like #TITLE=Track Title|PERFORMER=Band Name|ISRC= GBXXX7891916.

Insert subsequent track markers.

Just before the end enter a marker with album info in the form @Album Title|PERFORMER=Band Name|LANGUAGE=English

Render to a file called Image

I found that the Region/Marker Manager window was invaluable in speeding up the process as I could just copy and paste the band/title/isrc info for each marker and just change the bits that needed to be changed.

James.
James Perrett

Postby trevorscott33 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:22 pm

have they changed the red book standard? when i bought my HHB 850 i'm sure the manual said it recorded to red book standard :?
trevorscott33
Regular
https://soundcloud.com/trevor-scott-333
Music is my madness that keeps me sane.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:01 pm

trevorscott33 wrote:have they changed the red book standard?

Nope. Wouldn't really be a standard if they kept changing it... ;)

when i bought my HHB 850 i'm sure the manual said it recorded to red book standard :?

It may have done, but it was wrong if it did.

The Red Book relates only to pressed CDs. The HHB CDR-850 records 'orange book' CDs (CD-Rs are defined in the 'orange book'), but it can do so in a 'disc-at-once' mode which means that the resulting CD-R -- when 'finalized' -- can be used as a source disc for a CD pressing plant to create the 'glass master', which then allows red-book CDs to be produced.

Once 'finalized' an orange book CD-R is broadly compatible with, and can be played back on, standard red-book CD players... usually. But it most definitely isn't a 'red-book' CD.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby trevorscott33 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:46 pm

thanks Hugh, that's good to know :)

how much does it cost to get a 'glass master' these days?
trevorscott33
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:25 pm

It depends on the packaging, but you can do a small-ish run of glass mastered CD's for under £200 if you know where to look.
James Perrett

Postby trevorscott33 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:34 pm

thanks for that, what do you call a small ish run?
trevorscott33
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:51 pm

If you exclude VAT you can have 250 CD's on a spindle for £200 but if you want VAT included you can only get 100 for that price. I would have to add that I haven't seen the results for myself but the customer that uses this plant seems happy (and he knows the difference between duplication and replication).

James.
James Perrett

Postby AstraLeadGuitar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi, guys. Thanks for your latest posts. So, Hugh, perhaps the correct language would be to say I'm looking to make an Orange-book CD-R which is Red-book compliant?

I don't suppose you'd know whether a standard DVD-CD player-burner as installed on my Compaq Notebook would be capable of checking for C2 errors? It's called an "AHL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA T50 L ATA Device" - is there free or reasonably-priced software which can do such an error check?
Thanks very much.
AstraLeadGuitar
New here

Postby James Perrett » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:53 am

If you want to check whether your drive can output C2 errors I would download and install a copy of Plextools Professional XL V3.16 which is hidden away somewhere on the Plextor Europe website.

Run it and choose your drive from the dropdown list at the top. Select Drive Functions/Drive Information/Features and see if there is a tick by C2 errors. If there is then your can use the CD Read Test in Plextools' Diagnostic Functions to check for errors.

While Plextools' more advanced functions require a Plextor drive, the basic functions like these work with any drive.
James Perrett

Postby AstraLeadGuitar » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Ok. Thanks a lot for the tip, James. I'll check out the software and see what gives.
Cheers.
Astra.
AstraLeadGuitar
New here