You are here

radio edit

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

radio edit

Postby trevorscott33 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:49 pm

hi, i'm sure this has been asked befgore, but i can't locate any threads, so i'll ask :lol: apart from the track usually being shorter, what other things do you do to your tune for a radio edit?
trevorscott33
Regular
https://soundcloud.com/trevor-scott-333
Music is my madness that keeps me sane.

Re: radio edit

Postby Richie Royale » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Take out the swear words. ;)
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby trevorscott33 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Richie Royale wrote:Take out the swear words. ;)
but i don't *##**!!! swear :smirk:
trevorscott33
Regular

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:29 pm

trevorscott33 wrote:hi, i'm sure this has been asked befgore, but i can't locate any threads, so i'll ask :lol: apart from the track usually being shorter, what other things do you do to your tune for a radio edit?

Break it down to a simple ABABBA type structure, each of which may have 8,12,16 bars. Then again give me the full length of "papa was a rollin' stone" any day.

Postby KeithAC1 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:18 pm

If you are gonna re-arrange it as suggested above, see if you can get to the first chorus by about 30 seconds in... ie Don't make 'em wait too long :)
KeithAC1
Poster

Postby trevorscott33 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:26 pm

thanks guys, good calls, but how about stuff like frequencies? how high and proberbly more important how low?
trevorscott33
Regular

Postby dmills » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Let the station transmitter processing take care of that, it is what it is there for (FM will brick wall at 15Khz on the high end and will severely limit energy above a few Khz to keep the peak deviation under control given the use of pre emphasis.

On the low end, most stations will be running full time high pass filters at 50Hz or so as well as some fairly sophisticated 'Bass enhancement' in an attempt to win the radio loudness wars.

Watch mono compatibility, FM often ends up dropping to mono (or really narrow stereo) in the presence of severe multipath (As in listening in a car in a built up area).

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby trevorscott33 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am

thanks Dan, that's good news :D
trevorscott33
Regular

Postby alexis » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:23 pm

dmills wrote:Let the station transmitter processing take care of that, it is what it is there for (FM will brick wall at 15Khz on the high end and will severely limit energy above a few Khz to keep the peak deviation under control given the use of pre emphasis.

On the low end, most stations will be running full time high pass filters at 50Hz or so as well as some fairly sophisticated 'Bass enhancement' in an attempt to win the radio loudness wars.

Watch mono compatibility, FM often ends up dropping to mono (or really narrow stereo) in the presence of severe multipath (As in listening in a car in a built up area).

Regards, Dan.
That bit about the low end being HP filtered @ 50 Hz surprised me. Sometimes in my car I am blown away by the power of a song's bass. Those "bass enhancements" enhancements must be *very* effective! Does anyone know if they are sold at Tesco's? :)
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby dmills » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:43 pm

PLL based FM transmitters (The vast majority out there) have an inherent highpass pole at a few Hz due to the loop filter and really do not work well if energy is present down there (Worst case, the loop might unlock, this is very, very bad).

I am sure Bob Orban would be prepared to sell you an optimod, you will not like the price however....

Typically the bass processing applies a Chebyshev polynomial to produce a load of harmonics and to reduce the fundamental level, sometimes there is some band limited clipping going on as well.

Massive bass in the signal fed to the modulator costs you a huge amount of deviation, so you try to play psychoacoustic games to make it sound like it is there without blowing half your allowed deviation on it.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby andy cross » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:58 am

dmills wrote:
the bass processing applies a Chebyshev polynomial...
How long before we read that in the description of a 3-pin plug on the Russ Andrews website?
andy cross
Regular

Postby Adam Inglis » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 am

You get to the hook, preferably a vocal hook, in the first ten seconds but don't give it all away. Tease then surprise.
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby trevorscott33 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:44 pm

thanks, working on it :)
trevorscott33
Regular

Postby piedpiper070813 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:15 pm

For something destined for the radio I would try to have something new or exciting happening every couple of seconds to keep the listeners interest. Even if its just messing with the volume of your current instrument or adding effects to them.
piedpiper070813
Poster