You are here

echoplex ep3 tape delay - replacement tape anyone?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

echoplex ep3 tape delay - replacement tape anyone?

Postby rec-tec » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:11 am

hi all. this is a request about a really old school piece of eqpt. i have had an echoplex ep3 (tape echo) for years (like over 20). it became redundant (to me)due to the lack of replacement tape - i did get one at one point and asked someone to fit it but they mangled the replacement. whilst watching a review of the arturia minibrute bt adrian utley of portishead, i noticed he was used one and i thought i'd like to get to use it again

SO - the really simple question is (following a very long preamble, sorry) do any of you guys know where to get a replacement tape for the rather lovely echoplex ep3 tape delay?

i have tried on google - but alot of the links are 'dead'

it would be great to get it working again - otherwise it is just a rather 60's looking box (and looks like something from a dr who set!)

cheers - R-T
rec-tec
Regular

Re: echoplex ep3 tape delay - replacement tape anyone?

Postby Jack Ruston » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:08 pm

I wonder if Fulltone could supply something like that.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby rec-tec » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:42 pm

hey jack - thanks for the advice. following your suggestion i have contacted them (although i did see a comment in the FAQ section where they are less than complimentary about the echoplex). any way fingers crossed. cheers. R-T
rec-tec
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:37 pm

I'm not familiar with that specific machine, but it appears to use standard 1/4-inch tape, so it is easy enough to splice up a suitable sized loop if you have an original to copy.

However, while it would probably work with standard tape for a while, the nature of the coil storage is likely to result in fouling and snagging, and the lack of lubrication is likely to cause accelerated head wear.

You really need to use self-lubricating 'cartridge' tape, and that's quite hard to find....

I'd give these people a call:

http://www.mytapeecho.com

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby rec-tec » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:19 pm

cheers hugh - as helpful as ever. i've filled out a contact request for the link you gave. fingers on other hand crossed. R-T
rec-tec
Regular