You are here

a game: guess which mic or mics fit this shockmount :)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

a game: guess which mic or mics fit this shockmount :)

Postby signwaive » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:59 pm

i recently acquired this shockmount (see photos) .. i have a modded mxl990 ....my mic didn't fit this shockmount..
the seller didn't have much info either..only that he got it for an se electronics x1 and it didn't fit.
the reason it didn't fit my mic was that the bottom of the 990 is conical and the holder on the shockmount is flat with a lip to it..the thread on the holder doesn't connect with the thread up in the 990..
this has an M22 (22mm) thread and can take mics with body diameters upto 65mm
i'd like to sell the shockmount to help finance a shockmount that DOES fit..i'd like to give the buyer as much info as possible ..would anyone know what range of mics this would fit please and maybe which mic it was actually desgined for ..if at all?.....one of my guesses at the moment is the Se z3300 as that is flat bottomed with a long threaded section around the xlr socket. thanks in advance if you can help.

signwaive

Re: a game: guess which mic or mics fit this shockmount :)

Postby Madman_Greg » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:32 am

Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:39 am

I'd agree. Comparing it to the shockmount for my Gemini III shows details like the rubber collar covering the join in the elastic are identical. The diameter of the thread at the bottom of mine is, so far as I can judge it, 21 - 22 mm.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's StudioNumber 1 in a field of 1.

Postby signwaive » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:18 pm

thanks for having a go...the elastics are fairly generic...after some more research ...its not an Se shockmount..looking at the design and length of the inner cradle hook hangers...
The thing is well built..sturdy with a very thick stand attachement collar ...it looks similar to an MXL mount for some of the higher end MXL mics...the v89 for instance but even there the upper hooks are all in one whereas here they look brazed on...had a look at the peluso mics.. the 22 47

peluso 22 47

here's an ebay listing for one...this is it i think...

ebay peluso shockmount listing

look at the design here...what do you think?
signwaive

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 pm

It's definitely a generic Chinese shock mount, so it could fit any number of 'boutique' or budget mics. As you've found, the critical aspect is the threaded collar, but there is no single standard of diameter and thread pitch, sadly. So the only way you can be sure is to try it on a mic with a threaded XLR collar, and see if it fits.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ronmac » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Looks very much like the ADK SuperMount. http://www.frontendaudio.com/ADK-Super-Mount-p/9999-13099.htm

BTW, if it is the ADK, the threads also match Audio Technica mics.
ronmac
Regular

Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.

Postby Tartaruga » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:59 am

Hmmm…Looks like the ‘Sontronics’ suspension…

http://www.sontronics.com/stc2.htm
Tartaruga
Regular