You are here

Need a quality headset for my video tutorials

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Need a quality headset for my video tutorials

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:41 am

Up until now, I've been using an AT4033a (thanks Dave) and Camtasia to record my videos. The problem I always have is that of maintaining the right distance between me and the mic to prevent all the usual proximity problems and that of gains flying all over the place.

I have a crappy Microsoft headset I use for Skype and I tried a test run with Camtasia. It's perfect for my needs but not exactly studio quality.

I know there are a ton of you live dudes that use headsets, so any recommendations for a headset with a decent microphone? I am not too bothered about the headphone side of things, only the mic.

Thanks
Z
Zukan

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses

Re: Need a quality headset for my video tutorials

Postby Mixedup » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:51 am

Are you going to be on the video yourself? ie does it need to be hidden, as on TV/musical/theatre etc with tiny beige models, or can it have a huge great black blob in front of your mouth? You want wired or wireless, or doesn't it matter? Have you a budget in mind? Maybe a good old-fashioned lavalier mic? More info please...
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:55 am

Mixedup wrote:Are you going to be on the video yourself? ie does it need to be hidden, as on TV/musical/theatre etc with tiny beige models, or can it have a huge great black blob in front of your mouth? You want wired or wireless, or doesn't it matter? Have you a budget in mind? Maybe a good old-fashioned lavalier mic? More info please...

I won't be featured in any of the videos so it can be hidden, does not require wireless (usb is fine), happy with a big black blob in front of me, budget is preferably below £100 and closer to £50.
I have a lavalier but it wasn't the ideal solution. I prefer the headset option.

Thanks dude
Zukan

Postby Neokoenig » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:27 am

I've got one of these: http://www.countryman.com/isomax-headset if you want to try it.
It's XLR (and hypercardioid) though, oh, and it's a bit more than £100 (closer to £200), but you're welcome to borrow it if you want to try it.

I use it for backing vocals on the drums.
Neokoenig
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 am

When I've needed to do this I've used an A-T or AKG head-worn mic with my normal closed-back cans 'over the top' as it were. Works well and not at all uncomfortable on the head.

Best of both worlds...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:09 am

Zukan wrote:I won't be featured in any of the videos so it can be hidden, does not require wireless (usb is fine), happy with a big black blob in front of me, budget is preferably below £100 and closer to £50.

Having tried a bunch of these £50-£100 headset mics, I can say that I've not found one yet that isn't garbage.*

I'd prefer a decent quality lav or a theatre-style quality headset system - it's more expensive of course, but it's an investment and it pays in terms of quality and there is *nothing* worse than audio professionals demoing or teaching audio concepts and they can't even be bothered to make their mic audio sound half decent - it would be like a "professional" photographer giving photographic advice while showing their horrible, out of focus, underexposed and poorly framed photos.

* That's not to say they don't exist, just that all the ones I've personally tried were dreadful.

As Neo says, the £200 price point is more realistic for something that is decent.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:17 am

Neokoenig wrote:I've got one of these: http://www.countryman.com/isomax-headset if you want to try it.
It's XLR (and hypercardioid) though, oh, and it's a bit more than £100 (closer to £200), but you're welcome to borrow it if you want to try it.

Thanks Noe, one to consider but alas the price.
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:18 am

Mike Stranks wrote:When I've needed to do this I've used an A-T or AKG head-worn mic with my normal closed-back cans 'over the top' as it were. Works well and not at all uncomfortable on the head.

Best of both worlds...

Mike, any recommendations on model etc?
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:20 am

desmond wrote:
Zukan wrote:I won't be featured in any of the videos so it can be hidden, does not require wireless (usb is fine), happy with a big black blob in front of me, budget is preferably below £100 and closer to £50.

Having tried a bunch of these £50-£100 headset mics, I can say that I've not found one yet that isn't garbage.*

I'd prefer a decent quality lav or a theatre-style quality headset system - it's more expensive of course, but it's an investment and it pays in terms of quality and there is *nothing* worse than audio professionals demoing or teaching audio concepts and they can't even be bothered to make their mic audio sound half decent - it would be like a "professional" photographer giving photographic advice while showing their horrible, out of focus, underexposed and poorly framed photos.

* That's not to say they don't exist, just that all the ones I've personally tried were dreadful.

As Neo says, the £200 price point is more realistic for something that is decent.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on a model that uses USB. I say this because when working with Win 7 we lost the 'mix stereo' function in the CT and it's a convoluted process to get both internal PC sound and my soundcard to actually work together without me needing a baseball bat.
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:21 am

Neokoenig wrote:I've got one of these: http://www.countryman.com/isomax-headset if you want to try it.

Great link. Made me moist. Might borrow it off you Noe and demo it if that's ok m8?
Zukan

Postby Neokoenig » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 am

Yep no worries; haven't got a gig for a little while so that will work.
Neokoenig
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:42 am

Zukan wrote:Any recommendations on a model that uses USB.

Sorry, I've only really been trying the low end analog headsets in conjunction with various radio/wireless systems, so nothing direct into a computer, so I have no definite recommendations for your purposes, just wanted to chuck in some input which may or may not be useful...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 am

Thanks Des.
Zukan

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 pm

I think you'd be looking at a couple of hundred quid. AKG C520 would be good if you want a little warmth close proximity, or an omni, probable entry level would be Rode HS-1, for neutral. Wouldn't know about cheaper stuff.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Zukan wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:When I've needed to do this I've used an A-T or AKG head-worn mic with my normal closed-back cans 'over the top' as it were. Works well and not at all uncomfortable on the head.

Best of both worlds...

The AKG is a C444 (now discontinued);

the A-T was the ATM73a which I bought second-hand on EBay - and have subsequently sold. Probably out of your price-range new though...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
Zukan wrote:

Best of both worlds...

The AKG is a C444 (now discontinued);

the A-T was the ATM73a which I bought second-hand on EBay - and have subsequently sold. Probably out of your price-range new though...

Zukan