You are here

Need help with mixing.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Need help with mixing.

Postby DaveQuan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:55 am

i explained everything in the video i made below, watch it, it isnt long, i really need the help...

equipment used:
AT2020 Condenser Microphone
M-Audio MobilePre USB Interface
Pro Tools 9
:tongue: video
DaveQuan
Poster
much love

Re: NEED HELP WITH MIXING

Postby The Elf » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:56 am

The first thing you're doing 'wrong' is that you're believing that there is a 'right'. Copying a collection of plug-ins to your signal chain just because somebody else uses the same is not the way.

*Listen* to your sound. What does it need? Is it not bright enough? Maybe you need to use EQ. Is it too dynamic? Maybe you need to use compression...

I see you're adding rap vocals over a pre-recorded backing - this is like trying to add your own foreground characters onto a background painted by somebody else. It's often not easy to make your vocal sound part of the backing.

From your video example...

You are running everything WAY too loud. Get a gain plug-in and nail the backing down to peak around -10dBFS. When you record your vocal, aim to peak no higher than -10dBFS. Red lights on your output buss are a no-no and your audio interface will be sounding strained. There are a number of articles covering recording and mixing levels in the SOS archives - search for them and read carefully.

At the moment your vocal is FAR too loud compared with the backing. I can also hear no timing relation between your vocal and the backing; it's like someone talking while a song just happens to be playing in the background. Maybe try a different backing and pay attention to your performance to make it groove *with* the backing.

Hope something here helps. You just have to work at it a step at a time and learn your craft - there's no 'make it sound good' trick or magic wand! :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Need help with mixing.

Postby A Mole » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:31 am

Agree with the Elf. And there is not much more that can be offered to help you just by writing here.

You have a good voice and you can learn the rest by practicing. There are plenty of books about mixing and the like, but I think a few hours with someone with more experience would be very useful to give you some pointers. Have you any friends who do this? Otherwise I'd be happy to help - PM me if you like.
A Mole
Regular