You are here

Releasing track, Is it tight enough? and guitar in tune?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Releasing track, Is it tight enough? and guitar in tune?

Postby garient » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:26 am

Hi people
I'm releasing a track soon commercially
Just wondering if anyone could listen and tell me if they think its tight enough for release. I've spent a good while editing audio to get it as tight as I can.

Also the lead guitar was slightly out of tune, I've added some auto tune in sections but was wondering if it was ok to?

here's the soundcloud link

https://soundcloud.com/garient/no-love-anymore2/s-mHarP
garient

Re: Releasing track, Is it tight enough? and guitar in tune?

Postby mashedmitten » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:01 pm

With the guitar, there's the one bend that never reaches the note that sticks out. The vocals' pitch and processing is what concerns me more than the solo. There are some timing issues and the drum track seems to stutter in places and not quite match the tune in others. The falsetto words in the vocal don't work for me.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:12 pm

What do you mean by releasing it commercially?

It doesn't strike me as particularly commercial at present because the lead guitar playing and the singing aren't really up to the standard you'd expect in a fairly mainstream genre like this.

I'm not quite sure why, but the mix sounds much better in mono!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster

Postby garient » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:17 pm

mashedmitten wrote:With the guitar, there's the one bend that never reaches the note that sticks out. The vocals' pitch and processing is what concerns me more than the solo. There are some timing issues and the drum track seems to stutter in places and not quite match the tune in others. The falsetto words in the vocal don't work for me.

cheers
yeah still needs work..vocals are finished, just a guide track
garient

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:37 pm

I guess that 'commercial' can cover a range of sins, but................

Long and short of it - the guitar playing is a very poor standard. Tuning and timing are both well off.

The vocals you have already said are a guide. They need to improve significantly.

The whole track is dragging.

Sorry to be so negative but, since I suspect that you are planning to spend some of your own money on this 'commercial' release, then better that you know now.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Ariosto » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 am

Yes, the guitar is out of tune as is some of the singing, and the overall sound is poor. Sorry - but you did ask! I think a new session is required with better performers.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby macdolfan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Here's my take:
At the very beginning, one of the bends sounds off and the some of the other notes seem out of time or tentative. The solo towards the end sounds fine and fits very nicely with the song. As someone else said, I'm not a fan of the falsetto vocals to start some of the words. For my personal tastes, I think the vocals have a little too much processing/delay on them. But I didn't find the singing pitchy or unacceptable. The lyrics I liked quite a bit. The guitars in the verses remind me of Oasis some. I listened on my laptop's speakers, so I can't comment on the overall quality of the sound. Whatever the springlike pogo effect is that occurs throughout the song, I did not like at all. Sounds like a cartoon spring sound to me and didn't seem to fit. Overall, it's a pretty decent song. Thanks for sharing.
macdolfan

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:03 pm

As the others have said, and without wishing to be deliberately cruel... but trying to be realistic... it really isn't there. There are simply too many out of tune/time parts, the recording is suspect and the mix hasn't really begun.

More than anything I would say that you need a producer to get you going - someone who will give you the honest assessment and guidance at every stage in the chain to bring out the best in you.

The very fact that you asking for opinions here suggests that you know in your heart that what you have here isn't really up to scratch. But don't worry - this is all part of the learning curve that all of us are on; if you were to take a other run at it you would do it better. The only thing is... how long do you want to keep learning? It can take many years to develop all of the skills beyond writing and performing into recording and mixing. This is why experienced producers and engineers are worth their salt.

Good luck with it - I sense that with some honing you do have a spark of something special in there.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby garient » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 pm

thanks
although i do produce and have publishing contracts and some success etc...this song was one of those that I just couldn't get right and i seemed to be getting worse ...theres lots of things that need sorting as is clear now so yes definitely getting another producers opinion on live recorded songs epecially
I'm actually concentrating on electronic music for a while as there's less headache!!

cheers!
garient