You are here

Mix/Master feedback wanted - Trailer style piano

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Mix/Master feedback wanted - Trailer style piano

Postby mkeihl » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Hello,

would appreciate some feedback on this mix & master of a piano/orchestral piece I have made.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-keihl/the-revival-wip
mkeihl
New here

Re: Mix/Master feedback wanted - Trailer style piano

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Is the expectation that there will be dialogue over this in places? I ask because when the first set of instrumentation comes in (and at the step at 58 seconds) it feels like the leading instruments are quieter than I'd expect - as if you're expecting a narrative or other instrument to take the lead at that point.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby mkeihl » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:54 pm

blinddrew wrote:Is the expectation that there will be dialogue over this in places? I ask because when the first set of instrumentation comes in (and at the step at 58 seconds) it feels like the leading instruments are quieter than I'd expect - as if you're expecting a narrative or other instrument to take the lead at that point.

You mean the shorts strings are a bit low? Or should the whole part at 0:58 including Percussion be louder? Thanks for the tip!
mkeihl
New here

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Definitely just the short strings, the overall volumes are fine and there's plenty of dynamics across the piece. It just feels that in those places the instrument that is carrying the melody isn't front and central - hence my assumption that there might be a voice over at that point.

[EDIT] I should point you to my signature for my usual caveat though! Better ears than mine may well advise differently.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby mkeihl » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:39 pm

blinddrew wrote:Definitely just the short strings, the overall volumes are fine and there's plenty of dynamics across the piece. It just feels that in those places the instrument that is carrying the melody isn't front and central - hence my assumption that there might be a voice over at that point.

[EDIT] I should point you to my signature for my usual caveat though! Better ears than mine may well advise differently.

Haha, I appreciate any feedback from anyone regardless of experience =]
mkeihl
New here

Postby Dave B » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:51 am

A couple of points :

1. the piano sounds slightly muffled.
2. whatever you have coming in for the low end isn't working - it just sounds like speakers are broken. All I get is a low rumble.

I listened on small speakers first and had to move to headphones to check what I was hearing, so that should be a red flag straight away. I'd cut some of the mush out of the piano, add a little top end to it and then swap your 'woosh' for something with better bass - string with a very low synth underneath if you want that whole 'bowel moving bass' thing.

HTH
Dave B
Frequent Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby mkeihl » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Dave B wrote:A couple of points :

1. the piano sounds slightly muffled.
2. whatever you have coming in for the low end isn't working - it just sounds like speakers are broken. All I get is a low rumble.

I listened on small speakers first and had to move to headphones to check what I was hearing, so that should be a red flag straight away. I'd cut some of the mush out of the piano, add a little top end to it and then swap your 'woosh' for something with better bass - string with a very low synth underneath if you want that whole 'bowel moving bass' thing.

HTH

Thanks for the feedback. I EQ'ed the piano and removed some Match EQ'ing from the master buss. + Some other details. I'm considering doing what you said, to add a string as a bass line, but would appreciate first to hear if my adjustments made things any better. (I uploaded a new version of the song just now)

mkeihl
New here

Postby Dave B » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:06 pm

That's a little better for clarity but I think you can still lift the piano more. I think doing so might lift if over the strings a little more

Rumble is still there.

And that rumble is now really starting to get to me - it's swamping the whole track really badly and making everything sound dark and unbalanced. I tried again on cheap speakers and it was bad. So I moved onto the studio monitors and it was awful - it's just taking up so much of the sound. I'm now starting to wonder if that's the thing that's causing the issues with the balance. All we can focus on is some strange rumbling sound...
Dave B
Frequent Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby mkeihl » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:05 am

Dave B wrote:That's a little better for clarity but I think you can still lift the piano more. I think doing so might lift if over the strings a little more

Rumble is still there.

And that rumble is now really starting to get to me - it's swamping the whole track really badly and making everything sound dark and unbalanced. I tried again on cheap speakers and it was bad. So I moved onto the studio monitors and it was awful - it's just taking up so much of the sound. I'm now starting to wonder if that's the thing that's causing the issues with the balance. All we can focus on is some strange rumbling sound...

Allright, that's the kind of feedback I need. Thought the rumble was cool, but I have a version now where (almost all) rumble is gone. Replaced with a string pad with some bass. Need to test it on different speakers, but feedback is still welcome.

mkeihl
New here

Postby Dave B » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Oooh much better - I can hear things clearer.

Piano is still sounding a little muffled. That may be taste. And when it comes back at about the 2:00 mark it's getting a little lost - this may be level or it needing a little less body and more 'bite' to cut through.

I'd also want to put a nice large concert hall reverb on the strings - particularly in the middle with the faster strings as they sound quite exposed without some space around / behind them

:)
Dave B
Frequent Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby mkeihl » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:01 am

Think we're getting somewhere now....

Update:

Again, appreciate the comments. Not sure about Reverb in this version, I tried something completely different and have been mixing with headset due to people in the house sleeping. :O

Also did a completely different EQ'ing with the piano
mkeihl
New here

Postby Dave B » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Ok, it's hot here today and I'm not in the mood for something physical, so - 1000 apologies - I downloaded your track and had a fiddle :

https://soundcloud.com/hybridian-music/trailerpiano/s-iNAO1

Wot I did :

* I looked at the piano - the initial 'solo piano' section now alternates between my tweaks and the original. I used a little cut at about 200Hz and a gentle boost about 3k to clean and brighten it a little. As I said before it might just be a taste thing. But once the strings come in it does need something to lift it over them.

* I added a hall reverb with a HPF at 200Hz. This was just a big hall from Exponential R2 but any can do. It might even be better to use a convolution for this. I might try that.

* OK ... I was a bad boy .... sorry ... I added a couple more subtle string lines into the arrangements .. I know that when I was listening to it before, I felt that the sound needed to be a little more lush, but now I've done it, I'm not so sure. Maybe it's the reverb glueing it better.

* On the master bus, I added a little eq : HPF about 40Hz, small boost about 115 and a lift at about 8k. A little limiting (just a few dBs on peaks in the louder section).

Doing the above, I really do think that the piano needs something more savage once the strings cut in as it is getting a bit lost. Also, now the percussion is a little overbearing but that's the problem with post-processing.

Anyway, just thought I'd fiddle to show what I've been bleating on about. Hope you're not too offended.

Nice piece btw :D
Dave B
Frequent Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi