You are here

auto power-off for monitors with on/off switches only

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

auto power-off for monitors with on/off switches only

Postby stemwinder » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi there,

I am thinking of moving monitors around and considering putting my Mackie MR5s where my HR624's are - on (high) wall mounts. The mounts both have a balanced 1/4 jack close by, and also electrical spurs with female IEC sockets running from them. All very tidy.

The HR624s have an auto power-off, but the MR5s do not, and it doesn't seem a good idea to leave them always on, but I don't want to use the rocker switch (too difficult to access).

Is there any gizmo out there that I can employ to make this (auto power off) happen? I doubt it, but it's worth asking!

Thanks,

Darren
stemwinder
Poster

Re: auto power-off for monitors with on/off switches only

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't see anything wrong in putting an accessible switch into the mains feed to those monitors. Could be either hard-wired or wireless.

If my monitors haven't auto powered off when I finish for the day then I just switch off at the wall. Been doing it for over a year with no apparent deleterious results.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:22 am

This is what I did when I had to reach over the desk to hit the rocker switches. I had my monitors, plus any rack gear where the power switches were sited on the rear panel (why do designers do this?), all fed from an individually switched plug board.

I should really revert to this system as the rocker switches on my Adam A5s are something of a week link having replaced one that failed.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:16 pm

I plug mine through an adaptor with a remote on/off switch - easy for switching mains in inaccessable places.

Something like THIS :thumbup:

You can also get them with two or three sockets from the remote - gust google.

John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:14 pm

You can get 'intelligent' plug extensions, which when you power down whatever is plugged into the master socket, automatically switches off power to the rest of the board. Also, you can get adapters like John has posted above with hard wired remote switches, if like me you have a habit of hiding remote control boxes from yourself.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Currently struggling to find something to want