You are here

Mix Rescue

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Mix Rescue

Postby Mike Senior » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:19 pm

Submissions for Mix Rescue

If you're posting in this forum because you're not quite happy with the way your mix has turned out, then bear in mind that our Mix Rescue column is on hand to provide advice. If you're interested in being considered then just email an MP3 file of your mix to mixrescue@soundonsound.com (or if you prefer you can post a CD to Mix Rescue, Sound On Sound, Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB3 8SQ, UK). It would be useful if you could include a daytime contact telephone number, some information about how you recorded and mixed your version of the track, and your views about what aspects of the mix are causing you most concern. I currently listen to everything that comes in at that address, so even if your track isn't suitable for the Mix Rescue column, I should probably be able to give you a few tips myself.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Re: Mix Rescue

Postby crockmister » Mon May 22, 2006 8:22 pm

Wow what a generous thing to do. This is the kind of thing that makes this my first and most loyal to forum.
Craig
crockmister
Poster

Postby Groutfinger » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:15 pm

Just had ours done and we are eally happy with the result. Its in this months copy.
You didnt put the band photo in Mike! Our singer is well p*"*ed off, he thinks he is ugly! I didnt comment!
Thanks again.

www.stevemoranoband.com
Groutfinger
New here

Re: Rix Mescue

Postby deepfriar » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:18 pm

While all performed using an Alesis Quad Synth as a trigger, and Reason as the engine/database, I created these sounds. Samples are from LP's of gregorian chants and a recording of a pair of screaming slippers which I slowed down. The sounds:

myspace.com/deepfriarme

click on "purple heart bypass"

please do help with the mixdown. Awfully low levels and lacking a crispness that I can only seem to get if I by a packet and a pint while listening.

Cheers,
Bradley "boudreaux" McDevitt
Seattle, Washington US
deepfriar
New here

Postby panace_amc » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:04 pm

even www.music.cooltoad.com is nice i suppose.
panace_amc

Postby Carlospresents... » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:29 pm

This thread is awful! Why is it pinned?
Carlospresents...
Regular

Postby Mike Senior » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:06 pm

Carlospresents............... wrote:This thread is awful! Why is it pinned?

Because the offer still stands.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Postby Domstone86 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:07 pm

Oh wow another guy from Cambridge!! Heya

Ok basically, I can never seem to get the bass cut through my mix powerfully but not just loud. No matter what I do, having a roll off, adding frequencies to bass, reducing frequencies of everything else, it just doesn't have that "I'm a bass guitar being used for Jimmy Eat World or Avril Lavigne" feel. It's a Westfield with strings at least a year old.

I did a mix for another band once and their bass guitar cut through so I have a feeling it might be the bass but I'm not too sure.

http://www.myspace.com/domstone2005

Myspace probably isn't the best website to discuss low or high frequencies hehe but nvm. The song "I'm Gonna be Strong" has the loudest bass guitar to have a gander at.

Thanks in advance
Domstone86
Poster

Postby Mike Senior » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:17 pm

Skywalker wrote:Oh wow another guy from Cambridge!! Heya

This town ain't big enough for the two of us... etc. etc.

Ok basically, I can never seem to get the bass cut through my mix powerfully but not just loud. No matter what I do, having a roll off, adding frequencies to bass, reducing frequencies of everything else, it just doesn't have that "I'm a bass guitar being used for Jimmy Eat World or Avril Lavigne" feel. It's a Westfield with strings at least a year old. I did a mix for another band once and their bass guitar cut through so I have a feeling it might be the bass but I'm not too sure.

Difficult to tell about the quality of the bass track without listening to the raw multitrack files, but the Myspace mix of I'm Gonna Be Strong sounds very cluttered, which might well be what's stopping the bass getting through. Where are you in Cambridge? If you're fairly central I could maybe pop round and have a listen to the raw files, then if there's something suitable for Mix Rescue we could go from there.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Postby Domstone86 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:45 pm

Ooh that would be awesome if you can.

I live near Marshalls. Like where the McDonalds is on Newmarket road.

Any extra advice would be ace because the man on the moon promoter is setting up a studio there, and he wants me to be a producer :|
Domstone86
Poster

Postby Mike Senior » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:22 pm

Skywalker wrote:Ooh that would be awesome if you can.

Any extra advice would be ace because the man on the moon promoter is setting up a studio there, and he wants me to be a producer :|

That's pretty close to me -- I'm down in Romsey just the other side of Sainsbury's. I'll PM you my mail address and we'll sort something out.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Postby Bardo69 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Hey Mike,Love your write ups!
Just wanted to let you know I sent you an e-mail asking for help.
Was not sure if I was suppose to put it here too.
Anyway keep up the great work!
I always seem to pick up somthing new everytime I read your mixing help article.

Bardo
Bardo69
Poster

Postby Jimmy1740 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:48 am

Hello everybody,

I didn't know where to turn so I turned to this forum and you guys for help regarding a mixing session I'm part of.

The problem is that we don't seem to find any good sound for the band (I'm not the sound engineer in this case) and we've run out of ideas and time.

I've attached two rapidshare files below where you could listen to som mixdowns.

http://rapidshare.com/files/16428630...081111_mix.mp3
http://rapidshare.com/files/16429022...081110_mix.mp3

Just some info; The guitar is quad, where 2 Engl is placed 100 Left and Right and then a Peavy Bandit it placed 80, Left and right (the Peavy is lower in dB than the Engl). The bass is inline with a Sansamp.

I would really appreciate some help in this matter. What do you think is the major problems regaring the sound of this mix?

Many thanks in advance.

/Jimmy
Jimmy1740
New here

Postby IvanSC » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:52 am

Mike Senior wrote:
Skywalker wrote:Oh wow another guy from Cambridge!! Heya

This town ain't big enough for the two of us... etc. etc.

Ok basically, I can never seem to get the bass cut through my mix powerfully but not just loud. No matter what I do, having a roll off, adding frequencies to bass, reducing frequencies of everything else, it just doesn't have that "I'm a bass guitar being used for Jimmy Eat World or Avril Lavigne" feel. It's a Westfield with strings at least a year old. I did a mix for another band once and their bass guitar cut through so I have a feeling it might be the bass but I'm not too sure.

Difficult to tell about the quality of the bass track without listening to the raw multitrack files, but the Myspace mix of I'm Gonna Be Strong sounds very cluttered, which might well be what's stopping the bass getting through. Where are you in Cambridge? If you're fairly central I could maybe pop round and have a listen to the raw files, then if there's something suitable for Mix Rescue we could go from there.

Do I still count as Cambridge? I lived and played music ther from 1961 to 1980 off and on.
Now exiled to near ramsey and Huntingdon but I do get into Cambridge most weeks.
Hopbine and Haymakers....
IvanSC
Frequent Poster

Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

Postby IvanSC » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 am

Skywalker wrote:Ooh that would be awesome if you can.

So how much a night is he going to charge you to be the producer? (grin)
I`m Pixie Productions` Dad & after one successful gig she gave up on the place - too expensive by half.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster

Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

Postby Thiago Campos » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:31 pm

Hey there Mike.

This topic's been up for awhile... Does the offer still stand?

I don't live exactly in Cambridge. More like Brazil. I'm an SOS subscriber and great fan of your work nevertheless.
I hope the pond between us isn't an issue.

Anyway, I've sent you an email with links to songs and the whole explanation.

Hope it finds you well.
All the best!

Thiago
Thiago Campos

Postby Mike Senior » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:16 am

Thiago Campos wrote:Hey there Mike.
This topic's been up for awhile... Does the offer still stand?

Absolutely -- just send through to the Mix Rescue address and we'll take a listen.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Postby NTA » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:02 am

Hi

Just sent mine to the address!!
NTA
Poster

Postby Keefey boy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:03 pm

The problem seems to be your link doesn't work.

cheers,

Russell.
Keefey boy
Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar Man » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:23 am

This guy needs some help from mix rescue.

great song and performance but the mix is lacking.

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... Post844544
Johnny Guitar Man
Poster

Postby Sturphy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:18 am

Here's a mix I created of the recent Mix Rescue track from Axel Ermes. The multitrack files were kindly offered up for the rest of us to mix.

Here are the original and mix rescue versions:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/a ... emedia.htm

My version:
http://soundcloud.com/sturphy/my-mix-of-sos-mix-rescue-track-by-axel-ermes-1124

I read about the multitracks being available in another SOS article, so I avoided the mix rescue article on purpose before getting the files and mixing. I also didn't listen to the original mix or the Mix Rescue version beforehand because I wanted to go into it totally blind. Interpreting what I was given was probably the most fun here.

After I got most of my mix together, I read the article but still avoided listening to the other mixes. I didn't reprogram any of the tracks like Mike did, but I did add several elements. And I worked on that damned bassline for most of the time. I spent about 8 casual hours total on the mix. Could've spent more, needed to move on!

Thanks to SOS for making this happen.

Comments welcome, I had a fun time.

Regards,

Sturphy
Sturphy

Postby Rolandonioninator » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:32 am

Mike, just picked up your book.

I still can't believe you guys offer this service to ppl. As a recent SOS subscriber and a rabid, er...avid reader, I have found the mix rescue articles especially helpful.

I have been obsessed with getting this skill honed, and I cannot tell you how much I value your contribution to SOS and readers in general. From the time I experimented in recording with my old Fostex 4 track micing amps in my bathroom some 25 years ago - to working as a session musician for a long time afterward, I find I am finally getting things right thanks to you and SOS...my mixes are starting to sound expensive, and oh how that is a good thing!! Cheers
Rolandonioninator
New here

Postby k3nnyt4n » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:14 am

Hi
Mike i cant thankyou enough for your great info about mixrescue,studioSOS.
Do you accept songs from outside UK?
thnx
k3nnyt4n
Poster

Postby Mike Senior » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:25 am

kennytan wrote:Do you accept songs from outside UK?

Absolutely. From memory, we've already had songs from Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, the USA, Canada, and Australia, and it looks like there might be one from India coming up soon.

We've even had one from Scotland.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Postby intermittent hummer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:52 am

i cant work out how to start a new post...
can anyone fill me in?
possibly i am being a bit thick?
intermittent hummer
Poster

Postby intermittent hummer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:56 am

or do i mean thread?
intermittent hummer
Poster

Postby Mixedup » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:33 am

Just use the 'post' button, which will create a new post at the start of a new thread.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby Mixedup » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:36 am

Mike Senior wrote:
kennytan wrote:Do you accept songs from outside UK?

Absolutely. From memory, we've already had songs from Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, the USA, Canada, and Australia, and it looks like there might be one from India coming up soon.

We've even had one from Scotland.

You missed out Turkey... and the Isle of Wight I'm sure there are others too.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby intermittent hummer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:54 am

thanks, mixedup
but can't see no 'post' button...
is it subsriber only maybe?
(mac os 10.5)
intermittent hummer
Poster

Postby Mixedup » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:21 pm

It doesn't show when you're viewing a thread. Only when you are viewing the forum home page...
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Next