You are here

New Invention That Creates Vintage Analog Sounding Audio

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

New Invention That Creates Vintage Analog Sounding Audio

Postby WABC1960SAUDIOCHAIN » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:03 am

This is pretty cool. For all of you that can't afford vintage equipment, there's a new invention that takes thin sounding digitally recorded audio and make it sound like vintage analog vacuum tube audio. If you'd like to hear some examples, go to ...youtube.com/wabc1960saudiochain There are examples from a number of decades and material in stereo and mono. The results are pretty amazing, but you should judge for yourself. The people who run the page take digital masters and make them sound like vacuum tube analog masters for musicians and producers.
WABC1960SAUDIOCHAIN

Re: New Invention That Creates Vintage Analog Sounding Audio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:18 am

Not sure it can really be called a 'new invention'... but heck, it's probably a service that some will be willing to pay for, so good luck to you.

I've moved this post to the News forum which is the appropriate place for self-promotions like this.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Scramble » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 am

Personally I'm sick of my mixes sounding full, vintage and warm, like old analogue gear. How about a service where I can turn these mixes into thin, brittle and nasty-sounding 80's digital recordings?
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:28 am

Scramble wrote:How about a service where I can turn these mixes into thin, brittle and nasty-sounding 80's digital recordings?

I'll send you my Mixing rates... ;)

:bouncy:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:26 am

:lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ariosto » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:15 pm

I do not get all this current rage for "old sounding" audio. Digital is not thin, at least when I use it, and hear other good recordings.

I'm more than happy with all the lovely digital sound and would never want to go back to that old scratchy low resolution narrow frequency noisy stuff that we used to get with analogue gear. (Although some of it was pretty good - who in their right mind wants to put the clock back?) This is 2017 not 1955.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Ariosto wrote:Digital is not thin, at least when I use it, and hear other good recordings.
^^^ This.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:31 pm

WABC1960SAUDIOCHAIN wrote:This is pretty cool. For all of you that can't afford vintage equipment, there's a new invention that takes thin sounding digitally recorded audio and make it sound like vintage analog vacuum tube audio. If you'd like to hear some examples, go to http://www.youtube.com/wabc1960saudiochain There are examples from a number of decades and material in stereo and mono. The results are pretty amazing, but you should judge for yourself. The people who run the page take digital masters and make them sound like vacuum tube analog masters for musicians and producers.

There's nothing cool in taking advantage of people's gullibility.
CS70
Frequent Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:06 am

Yes what a mess of contradiction and false claim/assumption.

It talks here about "a new invention" but the YT page only mentions use of a "mid 60's radio broadcast chain".

It assumes that running everything through such a chain : equaliser, plate reverb, compressor and limiter -and who decides what settings are used? - automatically makes it sound "better". Better according to whom?

I wasnt aware plate reverb - any reverb- was generally part of a 60's broadcast chain.

I guess by referring to "digital" as "thin" sounding they mean relative to a "phat" analog sound. By that comparison, a microphone or speaker cable sounds "thin", or "cold and clinical"...And everything we hear naturally in real life is by definition "thin"...

The terms have almost become cliches now: vintage sound, retro sound, old skool analog, analog warmth, and of course there will always be people out there ready to take financial advantage of people's ignorance and perhaps "nostalgia" for what they barely understand.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:34 am

Har! Didn't think this post was going to fare well here...
resistorman
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 am

I am firmly with Tim and R man here.

What the "warm annyloggy" brigade forget or did not know was that most recording engineers and producers back in the day fought hard to ELIMINATE the shortcomings of their equipment! I followed the tape recording scene for a decade or so and saw improvements in electronics (yes! Those pesky OP AMPS!) and especially tape formulations but at the death, the best machines could only get a dynamic range of maybe 70dB and that at 2-3%THD at peak level. LF cutoff was rarely better than -3dB at 30 Hz and the 30 to 120Hz or so response was like the Alps!

Had you given producers like George Martin 1/2 a day with a quite modest digital recording setup he would have thrown you out, locked all the doors, posted security guys and told you "you are never getting THIS back!"

The CLASSICAL music recording industry embraced digital recording as soon as it was able.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:41 am

and yet here I am trying not to purchase yet another UAD emulation of a device from that analog era.
On another note - the studio down the hall was auditioning a new, small mixing desk. My memory fails as to whether it was Neve or SSL. (Do they still make SSL?) anyway it is a pro tools based studio and he wanted that sound. He was running test mixes through the board and comparing to that mix straight from pro tools.
Skeptical me with my reduced frequency range could hear a difference. The closest I can get to describing it is that the pro tools only mix allowed one to hear every individual track in all its well mixed glory while the same mix through the board had some kind of glue or subtle smearing (in a positive sense) that sounded more like an LP minus the related vinyl artifacts. Sorry I can't express it better but I really liked it. And it only cost a kidney and a spleen.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:50 am

I have no issue ManFromGlass with peeps trying to emulate a "vintage" sound be it a particular pre amp or say, a spring reverb.
No, what hisses me off is the presumption that "analogue is better" and the constant critique of digital sound as "thin" or "sterile".

If you use the nulling technique on tape recordings the remnant distortions are horrible and not far below the clean sound. If people LIKE that mixed with their Bach, fine. I don't!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:I wasnt aware plate reverb - any reverb- was generally part of a 60's broadcast chain.

Certain Radio Luxembourg DJ's seemed to love it. Mind you, with all the AM fading and distortion you couldn't tell much about the quality.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:32 pm

OK - I've finally got a chance to have a listen to a few of these 'pretty amazing results', and on each and every one of the ones I listened to there is dreadful compressor pumping that sounds like a budget AGC in action :o :?

Have a listen to what this 'New Invention' chain has done to Petula Clarke's classic 'Downtown' track :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRTvV3zDZo

If that's a desirable result I'll eat my hat :roll:

I'll be as positive as I can be in saying that there's been no attempt to optimise the various settings from song to song, but if these demos are designed to encourage others to indulge then I think it's a non-starter of a project :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm

"This is the best version of this song with the best audio quality you'll ever hear anywhere."

In that case I may as well end it all now.

Can't understand why they've bugg ... sorry, processed all these old songs which presumably are already packed with analogue goodness.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Wealth gravitates upwards.

Postby Ramirez » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Have a listen to what this 'New Invention' chain has done to Petula Clarke's classic 'Downtown' track :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRTvV3zDZo

:o :thumbdown: :headbang:
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Ariosto » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:01 pm

In one place you could hear the fader being screwed up as the voice came back in.

Biggest load of b*ll*cks yet!
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 pm

For comparison here's the original before "improvement"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reSSvOnQEr8

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Wealth gravitates upwards.

Postby Tim Gillett » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:49 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:I wasnt aware plate reverb - any reverb- was generally part of a 60's broadcast chain.

Certain Radio Luxembourg DJ's seemed to love it. Mind you, with all the AM fading and distortion you couldn't tell much about the quality.

Now you mention it James, I have a vague memory from my childhood of some local (Australian) DJ's using reverb on their on-air voices, but I dont recall whether they also put it on the records they spun as well. Long time ago.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:59 pm

I suspect this product is aimed at beginners who want a 'silver bullet' to make things sound great - sadly it doesn't !

I wonder how 'Downtown' would sound, if it had been recorded with modern digital -

Even with the cruel effects of age on the voice this sounds better (to me )than the WABC 1960SAUDIOCHAIN version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAXA_JaC2EE
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:22 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:For comparison here's the original before "improvement"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reSSvOnQEr8

CC

No offence Chris but that's a terrible copy of Downtown. It's mono, hissy and with what sound like mp3 artefacts all through.

Here's much closer to the original:

https://youtu.be/z_m4Qb0iW-o

What a standout track PC's 1964 Downtown was and is. Big, classy performance and production.

http://www.soundonsound.com/people/petu ... k-downtown
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:37 am

Is it too late to copyright the term 'analogually re-mastered'? ADDAD?
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Currently struggling to find something to want

Postby Ariosto » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:45 am

Even the not so good copy of the original was a lot better than the mangled "improvement" "vintage" version!

Not my favourite singer, and the song has a terrible change of key halfway through! The old easy "anyone can do it" change of key - just put it all up a semi-tone. Not exactly inspired song writing. (in my opinion only, of course).
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Mixedup » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:19 am

Well, I'm still a fan of all-analogue recording chains... but this is utter bollarks!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Next