You are here

initial release - to labels or into the wide world!

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

initial release - to labels or into the wide world!

Postby Imran500 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Just wondering if I should target my dance EP initially at labels who release under this genre, or just plain get it out there YouTube and frankly wherever I can upload it to build some interest.

It seems like a contradiction, as I've read labels like a following but also want to hear things exclusively. You can't get a following without getting your music out there, but then it won't be exclusive or a 'new find' so to speak :headbang:
Imran500
Frequent Poster

Re: initial release - to labels or into the wide world!

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:56 pm

How big is your following now? I'd suggest that if it's not big enough to make waves in your chosen field and area then you still have more groundwork to do before you consider labels.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster

Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby johnny h » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 am

Imran500 wrote:Just wondering if I should target my dance EP initially at labels who release under this genre, or just plain get it out there YouTube and frankly wherever I can upload it to build some interest.

It seems like a contradiction, as I've read labels like a following but also want to hear things exclusively. You can't get a following without getting your music out there, but then it won't be exclusive or a 'new find' so to speak :headbang:
There is a lot of fuss about "getting it out there" but in 999 out of 1000 cases this will do absolutely nothing. Nobody will listen and nobody will care. Unless you can create some hype yourself, perhaps through throwing parties or building up some relevant media for yourself, you will need the PR skills of a decent label to get your name out there.

Most smaller labels accept demos. Most have their email out there on the internet. Many also reply to FB messages sent to their FB page. Make sure your music is very good first, then try making an approach. Aim high then work downwards.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Imran500 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks for the answers - I have zero following apart from myself, I'll do everything at once then and build over time, EP to labels, get it out there and try and get a following going
Imran500
Frequent Poster

Postby Stickman0_3 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Hello Imran500

I'd go with your second suggestion - "just plain get it out there YouTube and frankly wherever I can upload it to build some interest".

Always remember that promotion is key. You can have the best sounding track in the universe but without promotion it is nothing. Do the promotion yourself, make a list of sites so you know where you've posted it and if you can keep those sites updated with your latest goings on.

I release all my music with an online label, they distribute it but I do all the promotion. It may be hard work but worth it. I have nine webpages that I use as noticeboards to post my news on.
Stickman0_3
Poster

Postby johnny h » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Stickman0_3 wrote:Hello Imran500

I'd go with your second suggestion - "just plain get it out there YouTube and frankly wherever I can upload it to build some interest".
I release all my music with an online label, they distribute it but I do all the promotion. It may be hard work but worth it. I have nine webpages that I use as noticeboards to post my news on.
And how is that working out for you?
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Stickman0_3 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:44 pm

It's going great johnny.
Stickman0_3
Poster

Postby Imran500 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Hey Stickman and others thanks for the responses, are you getting a decent income out of what you've done
Imran500
Frequent Poster