You are here

How do i design a website.....

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

How do i design a website.....

Postby Alphajuno » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:50 am

So i want to design a website, ive never had a bash at designing one before.

Whats the best way to go about this? Should i be looking at flash or HTML? Which is the easiest for a beginner to start with?

Are there any programs ideally free/cheap that can help me along the way?

Tar

Ray
Alphajuno
New here

Re: How do i design a website.....

Postby Carlospresents... » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:57 am

HTML

Use the internet to teach you.

Then play with Notepad.

That's what I did.

I will be more helpful soon...
Carlospresents...
Regular

Postby hollowsun » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:23 am

Alphajuno wrote:Should i be looking at flash or HTML?
HTML

Alphajuno wrote:Are there any programs ideally free/cheap that can help me along the way?
I don't like to recommend it but Microsoft Frontpage.

Dunno if there is a free/cheap Mac equivalent but to get started, a WYSIWG app is what you want. You CAN do it in a text editor by typing out the HTML but it's a bit daunting if you're an absolute novice.

Steve
hollowsun
Frequent Poster

Postby Rob C » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:28 pm

Before you do anything with software draw what you want on a big bit of paper... or several. Screens with arrows between them and the things you want on them. This is your design.

If you're going to have any text... draft it before you start coding. Get a look at what you're making. You don't need any software to do that and it will save you buckets of time later.

Then you can look at coding. I'd avoid Flash unless you're building a very graphic/multimedia site. If HTML will do the job (my site is HTML) look up the beginners stuff on the web and you're away.
Rob C
Regular

Postby TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:48 pm

Think about the information that you are going to present. Think how the user will navigate to it. Concentrate on getting this part right before all the bells and whistles.

Try to keep the content and style separate. Learn a bit about CSS by browsing the demo site Zen Garden.

The complete HTML reference can be found at World Wide Web Consortium.

Try to stick to the free and open standard stuff to maximise compatibility and accessibility. (ie avoid Flash and browser-specific features). Check your site on a variety of browsers/systems.

Consider using some kind of Content Management System (CMS) (or wiki or blogging system) if you are building more than a few pages and want to maintain it - geeklog is one of many many examples.
TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME
Poster

Postby Michael B » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:59 pm

I agree with Rob C,

start with a piece of paper, think about the design first, then go about learning the tools you need to realise your idea. Think of the analogy with music - instead of buying some software and hoping that'll compose for you, get the idea first then get the software that best suits you.

One of the best sites I've seen, or certainly one where the designer has a good approach to website design and maintenance is www.lingcars.com she says "a website is like a pet or a house plant, if you don't feed/water it, it will die" it is an entertaining website if nothing else, and yet uses no Flash Harry techniques
Michael B
Regular

Postby TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Michael B wrote:One of the best sites I've seen, or certainly one where the designer has a good approach to website design and maintenance is www.lingcars.com she says "a website is like a pet or a house plant, if you don't feed/water it, it will die" it is an entertaining website if nothing else, and yet uses no Flash Harry techniques
And it just goes to show it's a matter of taste - that is a terrible looking site to my eyes
TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME
Poster

Postby Microwave » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:15 pm

That site looks sooo horrid to me - if I'd paid someone to design it I think they would be staring to the wrong side of a kalashnikov
But Michael's advice is spot on.
Microwave
Regular

Postby Michael B » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Yep, the site is cluttered to say the least, but the point I was making is that a site should be entertaining, which if you read some of it, and watch the movies, the scat on Top Gear - Chop Gear it really is a hoot.

I compare this with some of the more 'classy' and 'moody' looking really slick and long faced, and they may look good but they tell me nothing. Whereas the site I mentioned, even though I have no intention of leasing a car, had me chuckling away and so I remember the site name after only one visit!

Alas, I do have to admit that in the media industry image takes precedence over substance
Michael B
Regular

Postby A k A » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:08 pm

Hello,

use iWeb for Mac, very simple, very effective, no need to know HTML or whatever. This is what I did with it, check Apple site for more, you can do a lot more...

http://www.villa.schumann.sizaret.net

Cheers !
A k A
Poster

Postby Shocks » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:27 pm

It really depends on what you want to do with it. Are you looking to have a blog, many sections and content, and want it easily updatable? If that's the case you should consider using a content management system (CMS) like Wordpress to build your site. If you are just looking for a really simple web presence then starting off with an application like Dreamweaver is a good first port of call. Find a simple (professional) site you like and load it into Dreamweaver. You can split the screen between 'design' and 'code' modes - you'll be able to see how the site is put together and can reverse engineer it. I would do this in conjunction with a beginners HTML book so you know what the code means. Try to develop a site using W3C compatible code and CSS rather than using the old way of structuring it with tables - works better across browsers. Once you get really comfortable with the code you can ditch Dreamweaver and use something like BBEdit or Homesite. I would keep away from Flash for now other than using it for things like an MP3 player (like myspace). At first it can be difficult to understand the code - but do persevere!

Ben
Shocks

Postby Pentaren » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Whatever you do don't use frontpage, it writes the most awful proprietary code, which is not at all W3C standards compliant.
Pentaren
Poster

Postby Michael B » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:58 pm

Also, it may be an idea to get down to the newsagents and get a mag, there are some like .NET that will usually inlcude some giveaway software that will get you started with the basics so that at least you learn a bit about HTML. Once you've understood the concept that a web page consists of code that 'tells' a browser what, where and how to display content, you're off!

To give you an idea, whilst looking at this page....

if you're using IE go to View/Source

or Firefox go to View/Page Source

It'll look quite complex, but loook at each line and you'll see the HTML

Bear in mind this is not a simple basic page
Michael B
Regular

Postby moo the magic cow » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:00 am

The HTML or Flash Q is like asking 'Addition.. or Calculus?'
moo the magic cow
Regular

Postby Alphajuno » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks a bunch everyone for the help.

I shall spend a bit of time this weekend planning what it should look like, followed by a lot of google.

On the issue of webspace, is it best to stick with your ISP or are they more suitable alternatives?
Alphajuno
New here

Postby tea for two » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:10 am

Hi Alpha

KISS

Nice, simple, elegant personal website

Free simple template based software to download and build web pages

PersonalWebKit

Serif Web Plus 6

Web easy Express 6

Online simple strong webpage builder software

Moonfruit £2.99 per moth

Low cost simple strong web page builder

NetObjects Fusion

7 Deadly Sins
  • Pop up ads (93% annoyance level)
  • Being required to install extra software to view site content (89%)
  • Dead links (86%)
  • Confusing navigation (84%)
  • Required registration to access content (83%)
  • Slow-loading pages (83%)
  • Ineffective site search tools (80%)

Lots of people have slower older computers. So No Flash.
Unless a welcome page is doing sometime useful, unnecesary to have one
... cut to the chase.

Alphajuno wrote:On the issue of webspace, is it best to stick with your ISP or are they more suitable alternatives?

For increased space & downloadable uploadable allowance, extra email addresses,
less restrictions on what you can put up, more control, far more flexible webdesign,
and a simple domain name eg www.Alphajuno.com or.co.uk or whatever
(not a looong domain name prefixed by your ISP's name)
best to move away from your ISP (also helps look a bit more pro & not a cheepskate ).

This is low cost & useful (has a website builder too).
http://www.123-reg.co.uk

tea for two
Frequent Poster

Our purpose is unique to us, just as meaning of our life is unique to us. There is no universal purpose. There is no universal meaning of life. 

Postby loser007 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:40 am

holy crap, is that your house? i'm coming over for a visit!!!!

nice website by the way!
loser007
New here

Postby Ian Threlfall » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:26 pm

Alphajuno wrote:On the issue of webspace, is it best to stick with your ISP or are they more suitable alternatives?

I have sent you a PM.
Ian Threlfall
New here

Postby moo the magic cow » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:41 pm

Alphajuno wrote:Thanks a bunch everyone for the help.

I shall spend a bit of time this weekend planning what it should look like, followed by a lot of google.

On the issue of webspace, is it best to stick with your ISP or are they more suitable alternatives?

Depends on how much space your ISP gives you. Look at how many MP3s you'll be hosting and their total filesize, and see if it'll be sufficient. Here in the states I pay about $10 a month for hosting (have your own www domain and everything), but I'm looking at a UK site that wants 30 pounds a year.
moo the magic cow
Regular

Postby Steve Marshall » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:04 pm

I started, as someone else suggested, by getting Dreamweaver and loading other people's websites to see what they've done. You'll need Photoshop too - and you've got to start thinking in pixels when you size images.
Most web designers do a draft first on paper, then in Photoshop (or similar). That way, you can move elements & colours around and re-size them until you're happy with the layout - then start working in Dreamweaver.
(You can also nick someone else's layout and just change the pics & text to fit your own needs!)
If you hit any problems, just Google a question - you'll find lots of detailed help online.
Steve Marshall
New here

Postby hollowsun » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:33 pm

Steve Marshall wrote:I started, as someone else suggested, by getting Dreamweaver .... You'll need Photoshop too....
But that's the best part of £1,000 - Mr Juno wants something cheap/free to get a feel for website creation. I suggested Frontpage because it is free and although it generates horrible code, would let him dip his toe in the water and make something basic to get started.

And Dreamweaver has one hell of a learning curve as does Photoshop (although I would recommend Fireworks as a graphic accompaniment to DW) - probably not what Mr Juno wants/needs just to have a dabble.

Steve
hollowsun
Frequent Poster

Postby jhoulston » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:32 am

I would suggest using a free program called NVU. It's available for Mac / Linux / Windows and is a complete Web Authoring System to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver. I use this as well as notepad and am very impressed with it.

If you are looking for website templates, take a look at these sites:
Open Source Web Design
Open Web Design
Open Design Community
All of these templates are free as they are open source. All you have to do it keep the creators name in the footer at the bottom of the page.

If you are looking for a decent but cheap web host, I recommend the following:Streamline Net. I've been with them for over three years and they have been very good.

Hope some of that helps.
jhoulston

James Houlston

Postby geefunk » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:03 pm

how about these guys

came across them whilst asking myself the very same question. Anyone any experience?

as far as free HTML editors are concerned, I've been trying to teach myself with this

seems ok so far....
geefunk
Regular

Postby Bobelix » Tue May 15, 2007 12:57 pm

The HTML Editor at www.coffeecup.com has WYSIWYG and Code views and, as far as I can make out, most of the functionality of Dreamweaver but it's only $49 (£25)to download! There's a free 30-day trial too.
Bobelix

Postby Stuart Churchill » Sun May 20, 2007 5:37 pm

Best price for domain names: http://www.1and1.co.uk
Web hosting: http://www.hartserver.net My website (below) costs £10.60 PA for 100 MB of webspace & 5 GB download. My other website costs £9.09 per year for 50 MB webspace & 5 GB download. So, you could be on the 'net for only about £13! If you wanted to expand later you just need to email them and it's done in a few days. Hope this helps.
Stuart.
Stuart Churchill
Regular
Birthday Song 4 U. Personalised Birthday Songs

Postby Ash18 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:54 pm

I work for a company that can do it for you, if you want a quick and easy option.

High quality site... FREE setup and £10 per month for a small website. Fully designed, built and hosted, all included.

www.sitefox.co.uk

Cheers,
Ash
Ash18

Postby tea for two » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:37 am

http://www.kaimotta.com/digicool/portfolio.html

This guy is a friend of mine and designs within his team interesting websites for artists, musicans, companies.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Our purpose is unique to us, just as meaning of our life is unique to us. There is no universal purpose. There is no universal meaning of life. 

Postby Looney Tunes » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:40 pm

I use Composer, which is included in the Netscape Browser. does the job, and is relativly simple to use. Might be abit basic though?

Looney
Looney Tunes

Postby Karma Koza » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:59 pm

I'd recomend learing to hand code and understand the basics of html (tOOk me a few hours), then learn the basics of css. there are lots of simple tutorial and even free templates on the internet but if your stuck, view other sites code and learn from them. Thats how the web evolves!

UK electronica
Karma Koza
New here

Postby GLENN » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:32 pm

For cheap hosting with a domain name no setup fees and unlimited bandwidth check out www.amen.com tenner year.
Anything else you need to know just ask google.
GLENN
Regular

Next