You are here

Using Itunes to sell your music ?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Using Itunes to sell your music ?

Postby Butters » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18 am

I though this Web Music forum would be more savvy/appropriate for this posting, rather than the SOS Music Business one. However, the "itune" hits don't feature much in either forums, given the huge market and influence itunes now covers in consumer buying.

What is the latest on how to sell your own music via itunes?
Given that DRM has now gone and websites do come and go rather quickly!

I wanted to upload singles mainly, rather that go the CD Baby route, although CD Baby alows you to register your music, which seems a prerequsite for itunes.

Any top tips on making this process easy ?
Butters
Regular

"A young man's tattoo, becomes an old man's graffiti" - Image Is Everything

Peter Cyriax PaQ ultra quiet PC system, with some DAW software

Re: Using Itunes to sell your music ?

Postby Nat JM » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:50 pm

You can use CDBaby for singles. The fact they call every release an album doesn't mean it has to be an album in the traditional sense - you can release an "album" with one track only if you want!
Nat JM
Poster

Postby GlynB » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:49 am

Nat JM wrote:You can use CDBaby for singles. The fact they call every release an album doesn't mean it has to be an album in the traditional sense - you can release an "album" with one track only if you want!

An 'album' with one track on it...perverse!

that's like calling a CD with 14 tracks on it an 'EP'

Anyway, that aside you can also try EMUBANDS who are UK based and can get your music onto iTunes too, allegedly faster than CDBaby too though I've no experience with them having gone the CD baby route myself.
GlynB
Regular

Postby Butters » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback and tip on EMUBAND website.

I have asked some questions regarding the politics of their pricing. I'll update this posting accordingly.
Butters
Regular

Postby GlynB » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:43 am

Butters wrote:Thanks for the feedback and tip on EMUBAND website.

I have asked some questions regarding the politics of their pricing. I'll update this posting accordingly.

The politics of pricing?

Takes me back to my uni days...

Anyway...Keep us updated please.
GlynB
Regular

Postby Chaparazzi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi I'm currently looking at distribution too and this is what i've found.

The Bizmo

Believe Digital

and also EMUBAND.

If anyone has any reccomendations that would be great!

I do like the idea that The Bizmo provide an HTML player from which you earn 100% royalties from sales.

any thoughts?

Matt
Chaparazzi
Regular

Amazing take, spot on, just perfect....right....one more time.

Postby Marbury » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:27 am

i Tunes I find very frustrating and user unfriendly. They have changed the layout to something horrible from what it used to be. Why are people these days obsessed with changing everything every 5 mins ? Perhaps it keeps someone in a job. Anyway,I use their imix facility but I don't think it really makes a difference to sales or anything. I can't even make imixes now because for some reason it no longer lets me drag and drop tracks into a folder to make a mix.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Butters » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks for the tip on Bizmo and Believe Digital, which I will check out. In the meantime, I only picked two companies and asked them the same questions on releasing CD singles, and the costs involved :-

You have to note that there is more than the initial cost to put your music on line. There is the UPC bar code fee and registration fee , if you wish your tracks to be added into the charts (and if you think your music is commercial enough to warrant this type of submission)

CD Baby – I sent three emails to them (cdbaby@cdbaby.com) with my list of questions and I have not received a reply. You may make your own assumptions, but I will not be considering them. No further comment to add.

Emubands – I got a response straight back from their General Manager and was very helpful:-
a) Costings;
Single (1-2tracks) - £24.95 ( or £12.24 per track if you send in two)
EP (3-5 tracks) - £34.95
Album (6+ tracks) - £49.95

With all the above release formats the consumer would be given the option of buying the individual tracks or the entire release together as a bundle.

Album submission being the most economic. You could word specific tracks on the album as being a “single”, for easier consumer selection.

b) Art work considerations on the above:
If you prefer each track to have their own art work, then you will have to submit singles with it’s respective art work
The tracks on an album, will share the one piece of art work.
“ Retailers only accept one artwork cover image per release – we require this either in physical format for high-res scanning or as a jpeg image.”

c)UPC’s:
This is detailed on the front page of their website – we can assign both UPC’s and ISRC’s free of charge where required.

d) Chart registration:
In order for your release to be included in the Official UK Charts it needs to be registered with Catco/PPL who compile the charts on behalf of The OCC. If a song is made available for retail and not officially registered, then it will not be included in the compilation of the charts.

This works out to be £10 extra per track.

For the moment, I think I will concentrate on an album format release, which is going to take me a lot longer to complete. Hope this helps rather than confuse.
Butters
Regular

Postby smithyy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:17 am

smithyy
New here

Postby GlynB » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:14 pm

"You have to note that there is more than the initial cost to put your music on line. There is the UPC bar code fee and registration fee , if you wish your tracks to be added into the charts (and if you think your music is commercial enough to warrant this type of submission)"

If you submit an album to CD baby, they'll sort out the barcode thingy for you as part of the service.

Disapointing they didn't reply though. I have heard that their level of service has declined since Derek Sivers sold it out.

Found out our stuff is on Spotify at the weekend, that's as a result of being with CD baby.
GlynB
Regular

Postby Marbury » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:05 am

Can anyone tell me how you are supposed to drag tracks to the left in your imix folders. Since they messed with the layout it no longer works. I have updated Genius and the newer itunes software but it still doesn't work.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:12 am

I have found out that Apple in their wisdom have deleted this very useful (to us and them) feature. Now you can't drag any tracks into a playlist without buying them. Everyone seems to be in uproar about it as it will ultimately affect sales. People would create a playlist and then gift the album.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Christall » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi guys,
The best place to sell music online that I've seen is Songstall . It's a new one, but it's different because it's totally free to sign up and you get your own fully customisable shop page. Most of the ones I've seen want to charge in advance to sell your music online, and I don't particularly like the idea of someone else making money off my music before I do!
CSD
Christall

Postby Beat Ybooha » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:28 am

I found this via facebook the other day http://www.catalog.sonic8.com/uki/index.php/rebeat-three-track-trial-voucher.html
Basically it's a 3 track trial version of Rebeat Digital and allows you to upload to loads of stores including iTunes via their own app.
Beat Ybooha

Postby Butters » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Tunecore -
Smithyy - thanks for the link to "Tunecore"
Website and details are all clear- However I dislike the fact that you have to make continual yearly
( maintenance) fees to keep your tracks available for downloading. This may amount to a large annual fee once you have a few albums/tracks uploaded.
Priced in dollars which may be a problem with the exchange rates in the future. ie $ 9.99 for each singles song and $19.98 for an album per year.
I will give this one a miss

Songstall -
Allows an artist to setup a webpage to sell their tracks. It looks like a standaone website, with no distribution to the likes of itunes etc.
So this is not what I want personally.

Sonic8 -
Beat Ybooha - thanks for this website tip.
I sent an email to then regarding more details as the site was rather bear on details.
Their support team got back to me straight away, which is a good sign.
After the initial "Rebeat" three track free trial they are pushing, their professional "Rebeat" package
consists of a one off fee of £89.99 inc VAT, it then costs €1 per song you upload onto the site.

I'm sure that £89.99 can't be for just the client desktop software, but must include some admin fees as well???

Regarding art work; In the 3 free trial version you can only do an EP style release. So one Art work per 3 tracks, however you can release as many singles as you like.

They cater for both album and singles formats

Any other hidden fees question:
The only fee you will pay is the €1 storage fee per track and if you buy IRSC codes from them it also costs €1

Sonic8 "Rebeat" in a nutshell:-

You are getting your music sent to a online distribution company who has access to 350 online stores all over the world. These include iTunes, Napster and Amazon.
They take care of all your mechanical royalties and provide reports to which track is selling. Once you have received €50 in your pot they will automatically transfer the funds into your desired bank account.

I think I will give the Sonic8 Rebeat free trail a go.
Butters
Regular

Postby GlynB » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:30 pm

Rebeat looks worth a go especially for the three free tracks to test the water.

Doesn't mention how much puchasing the 'code' is for each song though? I understand you need the code to be on iTunes etc.
GlynB
Regular

Postby daposti » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:20 am

What about DittoMusic? Uk based and a nicely layed out site. http://www.dittomusic.com/

Whats the better site to have your music on itunes or spotify?
daposti
Regular

Postby Butters » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:24 pm

Daposti - thanks for the link to Ditto Music

I found some mixed reviews on the satisfaction of this website ( July 2009 submission) :-

http://drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/4180989

Also I don't want to have to pay annual subscription charges for the releases of my music.

Still looking.
Butters
Regular

Postby daposti » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:12 pm

Well it seems theres mixed views on Ditto Music. I hope I dont have a similar experience.
daposti
Regular

Postby GlynB » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:35 am

Butters wrote:
Also I don't want to have to pay annual subscription charges for the releases of my music.

Me neither.
You are committed to that outlay before you even sell a single download for the year, definitely to be avoided. Paying a small percentage of what you make seems the better option, unless you're selling big time when a one-off fee might be more cost effective option.
GlynB
Regular

Postby jkcosborne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:47 am

jkcosborne
Poster

Postby Butters » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:11 pm

jkcosborne ; Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, BANDCAMP are a website for musicians to sell their music directly to their fans. They do not perform any digital distribution agreements/process.

I did look at their promo video and I was impressed at the way they could monitor users browsing their website and providing statstics as to how is viewing.

I am in the process of submitting my first single with EMUBAND, as a trial, and I'll take it from there.
Butters
Regular

Postby GlynB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Butters wrote:jkcosborne ; Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, BANDCAMP are a website for musicians to sell their music directly to their fans. They do not perform any digital distribution agreements/process.

I did look at their promo video and I was impressed at the way they could monitor users browsing their website and providing statstics as to how is viewing.

I am in the process of submitting my first single with EMUBAND, as a trial, and I'll take it from there.

Please report back how you went on, level of service received, etc.
GlynB
Regular

Postby Bungle1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Interesting thread I will keep an eye on this would be handy to see what your experience is!
Bungle1
Regular
[url=http://www.facebook.com/echoesandhalos[/url]

Postby Butters » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:30 pm

A big thank you to EMUBANDS.

My first single has now been added to the super highway, and is now accessable via iTunes ( It took under two weeks from my paypal payment to being on iTunes).

I'm not a millionaire just yet, so I'd better start writing more of my music.

I'll add more comments/feed back as appropriate.
Butters
Regular

Postby GlynB » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Butters wrote:A big thank you to EMUBANDS.

My first single has now been added to the super highway, and is now accessable via iTunes ( It took under two weeks from my paypal payment to being on iTunes).

I'm not a millionaire just yet, so I'd better start writing more of my music.

I'll add more comments/feed back as appropriate.

Two weeks is very fast. CD baby took months for ours to appear, back in 2007, maybe they cleared the backlogue at iTunes by now, or maybe EMUBANDS get priority if they pay more?

let us know your progress.
GlynB
Regular

Postby Butters » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:53 pm

I have found some other items to figure out:-

1 - The replication to the other distributors, apart from iTunes?
For example, to see if the single is within Spotify, you have to be a member to try and search for the music. I have sent an email to them on their assistance. Still no reply.

2 - On iTunes, I found you could populate other tab files of the Single; "Comment" and "lyrics".
Apparently, EMUBANDS do not get involved with these items. They passed me onto a company called Gracenote. The process seems more setup for Album CD sales, were you send Gracenote a copy of your CD, with accurate TOC(CD Table Of Contents) so this can be added to their library.
Gracenote also have a lyrics section , which I understand is free to submit. But as yet, I need to try and understand these processes and ensure my first Single is updated correctly, before proceeding with any other orders.

Gracenote FAQs:-
http://www.gracenote.com/company_info/FAQ/FAQs/

Lyrics link:-
http://www.gracenote.com/business_solutions/lyrics/
Butters
Regular

Postby sambrox » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:55 am

This is an interesting new(ish) initiative, that will only get better with growth. For an explanation, here is their video tutorial.

Good idea, I reckon.
sambrox
Regular

Postby Superfree » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Hello,
I think that if you don't promote your music is difficult too sell on iTunes,
i have some music on Magnatune, is a website that have memberships so you earn royalties each time the members listen to your music, take a look i have my albums there and i get some decent money per quarter.

Good luck !

Manuel
http://www.royaltyfreepianos.com
Superfree

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Check this from the small print on the Songstall site :

Payments are made to Artists when the artist requests a draw-down via the Account Overview page. This is subject to the amount due to the artist being £5.00 GBP / $10.00 USD / €10.00 EUR / $10.00 CAD or more, and that the funds are deemed to be “available”.

'....deemed to be "available."' By whom, and by what criteria ?

Dodgy or what ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Next