You are here

Library Music - Heads Up?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Library Music - Heads Up?

Postby OneWorld » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:44 pm

For what it's worth, there's a program on BBC R4 at the moment (1:30pm 12th April) about Music Libraries, more about the music itself rather than a 'how to' but still may be useful to some?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Re: Library Music - Heads Up?

Postby tomafd » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:54 pm

A nice trawl back through the 60s & 70s stuff, mostly - loved the comment from one composer from those days about current material - "it's all drones these days !" - and the comments about how most of the old recordings were all done real time, so the spill 'made everything sound bigger'. These days you'll be flying to Budapest (and often paying with your own money) to get that sound - and at a BASCA meeting last night a couple of composers were saying that some of the libraries are now asking for £5000 'recoupment' before you get paid your royalties, even if you've forked out all the recording costs yourself... things really have changed !
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby Wick Daver » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Hmmm I can think of one in particular, just can't pronounce the name..
Wick Daver
New here

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 pm

I enjoyed the program, nothing really of any use to anyone interested in getting into the business but that's not who it was aimed at.

Just another one of those curious Radio 4 pieces that they do so well, and long may they continue.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby BenLD » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:19 am

tomafd wrote:and at a BASCA meeting last night a couple of composers were saying that some of the libraries are now asking for £5000 'recoupment' before you get paid your royalties, even if you've forked out all the recording costs yourself...

And as someone else said at the meeting - that's called 'coupment', not recoupment!

B
BenLD
Regular

Postby Commander » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Recoupment or coupment it's bang out of order. How on Earth are they going to get any composers on board with that deal, especially when they expect you to pay for session musicians as well!
Commander
Regular
Stand by for action - we are about to launch Stingray!
Cue irritating bongo music ...

Postby doctor doctor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:30 am

tomafd wrote:A nice trawl back through the 60s & 70s stuff, mostly - loved the comment from one composer from those days about current material - "it's all drones these days !"

hah !

I recently had the task of explaining to one of those layman types what I actually did for a living.
And the said layman's response :
"Library Music, it's all that background stuff isn't it, it's all just chords, it must be really easy to do that."

Oy-vey !

doctor doctor
Poster

Postby tomafd » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:45 am

Commander wrote:Recoupment or coupment it's bang out of order. How on Earth are they going to get any composers on board with that deal, especially when they expect you to pay for session musicians as well!

There's plenty of desperate composers out there - though those with the cash to spend on paying for the recordings are likely to be the ones saying '[ ****** ] right off' when faced with that kind of deal.
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby blue manga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:36 pm

I thought tho - that PRS had a mandate to ensure the composer gets their share of royalties ?

(hence a PRS composer can not offer 'stock' sounds)

Is it even legal for a publisher to just 'take' that money ?
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby blue manga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:32 pm

- Right - now I understand it's just nicking it out of the MCPS - not PRS ...

TBH tho (IF IT'S TRUE) - this sort of practice - only shows weakness.

a) the weakness of that particular publisher
b) the weakness of the MCPS model - that a publisher can just do this

- I know of at least a couple of libraries who are taking some fairly drastic measures right now - and the things I'm hearing - feel more like the first bricks crumbling in the foundations - than steps to strengthen and focus on strength.

These kinds of measures, which may seem like strong ideas to the people who thought them up - show only weakness.

Message to MCPS libraries - stop winging - stop wriggling - stop hating - stop blaming - most certainly dont start stealing from composers - dont squeeze composers - be strong - be bold - focus on your strengths - be PROFESSIONAL - and most importantly support and nurture your number one asset - your composers.

There are a lot of composers out there - but truly outstanding composer producers are rare.
- squeeze them, steal from them, try to inhibit their growth - restrict their cash flow - YOU WILL LOOSE THEM.

- and you will end up with hobby composers. Then you sink into the sea of mediocrity. Then you will fail.
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby blue manga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:25 pm

blue manga wrote:

Message to MCPS libraries

PS - that should be a message to 'some of' - certainly not all.
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby Nutshell Cavities » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:52 pm

you is talking to ur self isn't it
Nutshell Cavities
Poster

Postby doctor doctor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:29 am

blue manga wrote:-

- I know of at least a couple of libraries who are taking some fairly drastic measures right now - and the things I'm hearing - feel more like the first bricks crumbling in the foundations - than steps to strengthen and focus on strength.

Some very drastic business ideas rumbling around right now. Strange times ahead.

doctor doctor
Poster

Postby Commander » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:22 am

blue manga wrote:There are a lot of composers out there - but truly outstanding composer producers are rare.
- squeeze them, steal from them, try to inhibit their growth - restrict their cash flow - YOU WILL LOOSE THEM.

- and you will end up with hobby composers. Then you sink into the sea of mediocrity. Then you will fail.

I have seen this first hand over the past couple of months, formerly very professional Library publishers acting like complete idiots and culling their best writers. Looks like commercial suicide to me, which is fine if that's what they want but very sad when they take their composers down with them.

"The tree that does not bend with the wind will be broken by the wind" - Mandarin Chinese proverb
Commander
Regular
Stand by for action - we are about to launch Stingray!
Cue irritating bongo music ...