You are here

PPL to go online again!

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

PPL to go online again!

Postby Scramble » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:58 am

I got an e-mail from PPL today that is sure to make Feline's head explode when he sees it: App v.4.2 is being shut down in 5 days time, and then at the end of Febuary (supposedly) PPL's online service starts up again.

(It didn't give me much confidence when the e-mail also went on about needing information for my German payments, when I never authorized PPL to deal with German payments.)
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Re: PPL to go online again!

Postby narcoman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:42 pm

probably a good thing. That stupid app must have written by a farking half wit.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Scramble » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Well, yes, but they tried to go online before and the whole thing was a disaster and it had to be closed down, and the horrible app 4.2 thing had to be resurrected. So let's hope they've done it properly this time.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:33 pm

lol indeed...... I fear I will have to take a "believe it when I see it" attitude to this one...

We were here this time last year, remember? The web portal was so ball-achinging bowel-shattering slow (not to mention full of bugs) that they had to take it away again...

Perhaps they've saved up and bought a 56k modem to connect it with this time.
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby balvenie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:09 am

It is quite clear. We don't use the 4.2 app after Feb 14. We have to log in to PPL and make sure anything that is "ready" is made live and we no longer need two passwords. I love PPL they are doing a great job and keep in touch with me, and MCPS very well. If it was not for them we would be thousands of pounds worse off.
balvenie
Regular

Postby feline1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:57 pm

balvenie wrote:It is quite clear. We don't use the 4.2 app after Feb 14. We have to log in to PPL and make sure anything that is "ready" is made live and we no longer need two passwords. I love PPL they are doing a great job and keep in touch with me, and MCPS very well. If it was not for them we would be thousands of pounds worse off.

I think you're getting confused: you obviously WORK FOR THEM - this explains why they pay you and keep in touch. Not so sure you're "doing a great job" though.
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Scramble » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:39 pm

>I love PPL they are doing a great job

Does that include last year's debacle?
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:23 pm

well it's Monday today... the "end of February" is Wednesday...
I for one am BREATHLESS with anticipation regarding the PPL online registration service relaunching
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby Scramble » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 pm

It's here. Anyone game to try it?

------------------------------
Dear Member,

PPL is pleased to confirm that from today you can register new recordings and fix existing invalid recordings through your online myPPL account.

What are the benefits?

• All your PPL account information is now easily accessible
in one place.

• You no longer have to remember separate login details
for the App v4.2 as it is now closed.

• It is easy to see if any of your previously submitted recordings are missing mandatory data and classed as ‘invalid’. You can then correct these recordings to ensure you receive any payments you are due for them.

For more information on how to register repertoire through myPPL, read the quick guide or full guide for more detail. Login to your myPPL account to view the changes.

Workshops are being held at our offices on 14 and 21 March, please email recordcompany@ppluk.com if you would like to attend.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Scramble wrote:It's here. Anyone game to try it?

I logged in there and bumbled around - it's still alarmingly slow, taking up to 60 seconds to respond to mouse clicks. (Or for instance when you try to type in a search field - you get an hour glass as it tries to do an auto-complete look-up on what you're typing...)

About 10% to 15% of my repertoire seems to have magically become "invalid" since I last looked at it too Thanks guys. Perhaps there are little beetles and grubs crawling around in the server, and they sometimes eat the data and invalidate it?

I expect it will take me several weeks to repair my data unless they seriously improve system performance. I might for instance want to edit about 20 fields in a particular 'Candidate Recording' - at the current 60 seconds per mouse click that will take about 25 minutes instead of 3 or 4...
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:28 pm

It seemed a little less sluggish this evening (11pm UK time)

However, the links in the email they sent to the Quick and Full User Guides had died, they were timing out
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby petev3.1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Ten attempts to get into MyPPl so far. No luck. Error message 403.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:53 pm

I was able to get in yesterday evening.

I continue to me mildly flabberghasted at what they've done to all that data I painstakingly entered and uploaded over the past 10 years in via the PPL CatCo App...

- for several of the fields (e.g. date of performance), they seem to have just gone "lol" and randomly replaced them with other numbers (seems to be date of data upload a lot of the time!) ... other fields they've just gone "lol who wants to know that!" and discarded the data (e.g. recording venue/location/country).

The latter is particularly convenient for them, since they only pay out of performances from the UK. Whoops! Did we just invalidate all our data and mean we can't pay out of it? Sorry there!
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby petev3.1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Lucky you. My entire account has disappeared and the helpline is unavailable. Ho hum.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:20 pm

petev3.1 wrote:Lucky you. My entire account has disappeared and the helpline is unavailable. Ho hum.

ARRRRGH.
I've had about 4 replies from their helpdesk via email last week, which was pretty good for them!

Basically though,
about 80% of my VPL video repertoire has mysteriously become "INVALID" since the online registration went live (it wasn't like that last month!)

Plus, whilst I've noticed hundreds of errors in my data, I can't really correct any of it very easily, because you can't edit the top-level entry (the 'Golden Recording') directly - you can only click "Edit Repertoire" on the underlying "Candidate Recordings" - and I don't know what the hell they've been doing with mine all these years, but most of mine have 2 or 3 candidate recordings per track, which are all just *my* uploads (Data Source= my label), but usually the one with the best quality (i.e. least mangled) data doesn't have an edit button beside it, wheras the ones where most of the data has been munged does (really I'd prefer to delete the munged ones).

I really don't know what dickens they do to their data. It reminds me of Eric Idle's idiotic guard at "Swamp Castle" in Monty Python & the Holy Grail, who would utterly mangle every single instruction Michael Palin gave him.
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby MarkOne » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Clearly I am A STUPID PERSON.

I cannot for the life of me figure this website out. If any of you have the least idea how I can fix my entries please point me in the right direction.

If I search on my name I get all the recordings I uploaded using the dreaded APP.

All but one of them have a big red X against them indicating that they are invalid. OK.

If I then click on a song it shows the data and underneath the name of the song and my name the same big red X appears with the following text: These attributes must be completed by the PPL Rights Holder for the recording to be included in a PPL distribution

However, there are no fields being shown as actually in error. Therefore I have no idea a) what to fix and b) how to fix it.

I guess the whole thing is moot really, as the chances of this stuff getting any real airplay is pretty slim, but it would be nice to think that I have the basics in place on the off-chance.

----- EDIT -----

I've just clicked on the 'Fix Invalid Registrations' tab put in the name of one of the "Invalid" Recordings and checked all the Error/Sup error combinations and the response is always: "No invalid registrations for this selection"

So basically, nothing is invalid but all the recordings (except one) are invalid.

terrific.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Yeah, I don't think the "fix invalid registrations" thing is working - I emailed them a bug report about that -
I have about 60 invalid recordings showing, but they don't show up if I search there -
plus the search, even if it did work, is stupid - you can't "select all", you have to search for individual error types one at a time.
Or, you can ask it for a summary - which tells you how many you have with errors, but doesn't link to them - if you them try and search for ones with those error types - no results! ARRRRRGH.
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby petev3.1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 am

The whole thing is unbelievable. How is such a mess possible? Is the data world becoming so complex that human beings can't operate it?

I see there a good chance we're going to be hit by massive solar storms this year. I suppose this means there'll be another billion invalid recordings to fix yet again next year.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 pm

It's perhaps possible because PPL are incompetant? (I mean, I'd like to think it's that, rather than some kind of attempt to carry out accounting fraud...)

I'm still waiting to hear why 60-odd of my recordings mysteriously became invalid following the re-launch,
but the answer has to be either:

A. the data got corrupted during some kind of migration exercise, or
B. they unlilaterally changed the rules for valid data again, without telling us.

If it's A, that's dreadful, and they should be have migration testing and validation procedures in place to detect it, and not just expect me to log in and notice and try to fix it myself

If it's B, then at least we can have more confidence in their IT infrastructure, but it's bloody annoying and I don't see why members should have to put up with it (again).

I'm also still waiting to find out why, for instance, my bank details mysteriously disappeared from my accounts shortly before they were due to pay me, or why my entire VPL account for one of my labels disappeared from their systems, and a couple of other queries which they just failed to answer for such a long time that I can't even remember what they were any more (which, doubtless, is what they intended...
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby atechnogirl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:39 pm

feline1 wrote:
balvenie wrote:It is quite clear. We don't use the 4.2 app after Feb 14. We have to log in to PPL and make sure anything that is "ready" is made live and we no longer need two passwords. I love PPL they are doing a great job and keep in touch with me, and MCPS very well. If it was not for them we would be thousands of pounds worse off.

I think you're getting confused: you obviously WORK FOR THEM - this explains why they pay you and keep in touch. Not so sure you're "doing a great job" though.

I apologise for the new name which is out of my control but I do not WORK FOR THEM. Oh my word, it is so easy if you read the things you need to do.
atechnogirl
Regular

Postby Scramble » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:27 pm

>it is so easy if you read the things you need to do.

Yes, that explains why so many of Feline's previous entries became corrupted. He just doesn't realize how easy it really is and he doesn't read very well.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby atechnogirl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:49 pm

As Feline has spent all his time on this forum not being able to get his royalties, I would agree with you (unless you are being sarcastic) in which case I can only stand my ground and say, read the rules.
atechnogirl
Regular

Postby feline1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:53 am

atechnogirl wrote:As Feline has spent all his time on this forum not being able to get his royalties, I would agree with you (unless you are being sarcastic) in which case I can only stand my ground and say, read the rules.

I fear the rules of this forum preclude me from telling you to **** off in quite the manner I'd like, but you really are just descending to pure trolling now.

Whether you work for PPL or not, I know they do read this forum, because I had an email from one of them once saying that they'd read me complaining on here, and they were sorry I'd had these problems and if I'd let them know the issues they'd look into it. I rather exasperatedly emailed back to point out that I'd already HAD raised all the issues with PPL, both in email, face-to-face at a workshop, and even on a 3-way telephone conference call......and many of them were still outstanding over a year later, which was one of the bloody issues in itself! But I'd nonetheless be delighted if they would sort them out. Surprise surprise, I didn't get a reply to that email
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby atechnogirl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 pm

I am glad that you have adhered to the rules of this forum and not told me to **** off. Unlike you, I have never been banned from the Guardian and I am not a troll. I make money on PRS, PPL, and MCPS because there are genuine royalties to be made. You might not be reading the rules properly, or it could be that you are below the limit where royalties are paid, or (probably very unlikely)..you are just a whiny person who enjoys whining about your lack of royalties.
Also, I might add that I do not work for PPL or anyone else, and they keep in contact with me without question and they do a very good job.
atechnogirl
Regular

Postby feline1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 am

You clearly are a troll, as you are ignoring all the salient points put to you, and instead just trying to impugn my character.

I am not whining about 'lack of royalties', I am pointing out issues with database corruption, bugs in a website and dysfunctional workflows and policies. (None of which help rights holders and performers to get their royalties, in any case). Now do **** off.
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby atechnogirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Honestly, I am not trying to impugn your character. I have just never come across the problems you mention.
atechnogirl
Regular

Postby MarkOne » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:39 pm

You are lucky then... Pretty much all my database entries are "Invalid" and yet I slavishly followed the instructions using the App 4.2 thingy when uploading my songs - even querying a couple of things via email with PPL, and doing as they asked.

But then... I am probably very stupid.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Postby atechnogirl » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:06 am

MarkOne wrote:
I agree
atechnogirl
Regular

Postby feline1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:39 am

atechnogirl wrote:
MarkOne wrote:
I agree

I'm surprised the moderators let you get away with this trolling crap.

I'd also put money on you being a sock puppet of johnny h
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:41 am

MarkOne wrote:You are lucky then... Pretty much all my database entries are "Invalid" and yet I slavishly followed the instructions using the App 4.2 thingy when uploading my songs - even querying a couple of things via email with PPL, and doing as they asked.

Same here.
They changed the database schema more than once without telling anybody, so that previously valid data became invalid.

I'm sure there's bugs in the new portal too (despite them withdrawing it and "fixing" it for a YEAR) - recordings that I have edited in the new portal in the last week, that were valid, have since gone invalid after they processed them over night!
In particular I'm seeing some where the Rights Holder is just gone! not displayed! ...
feline1
Frequent Poster

Next