You are here

Public Liability Insurance

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Public Liability Insurance

Postby The_BPP » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:28 am

I've a small band, and we perform a lot of gigs. Some venues insist on us having public liability insurance, which we currently don't have.

Any recommendations for a cheap insurer?

(we just wanna tick the "insured" box, really, nothing more... Peace of mind is not very rock and/or roll).

Thanks in advance!

Andy :D
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Re: Public Liability Insurance

Postby ken long » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:30 am

Got mine with Aviva.

£40 for £1,000,000 cover for a year.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 am

Hi Andy,
You might find it better to talk to an insurance broker and moreover one who is "muso friendly"!

I would bet you a 5mtr XLR cable that your kit is not insured under many and several circumstances as you move it from home to venue! It would also be unlikely to be covered on your normal home contents policy. A broker can go though all these matters and come up with a good deal. I do not think it costs you anything to get such a quote?

And NEVER tell a "normal" insurance company that you are a gigging musician, as far as most of them are concerned you are all a load of irresponsible crackheads!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:45 am

I was going to say join the MU because they throw in £10m PL cover... but then I saw the annual fee was £177... COuld be worth it for the other benefits and activities, but I suspect a good broker could do a better rate for PL insurance.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby feline1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:38 am

The MU also offer a substantial discount on musical equipment insurance (via Hencilla Camworth), so that combined with the free public liability insurance still makes it cost effective to pay the MU subs (which you can pay monthly...)
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Steve A » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:43 am

Am I right in thinking for the MU Public Liability insurance to apply to a band, every band member would also need to be a paid up MU member?
Steve A
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 pm

Forget "Rock and Roll" this could seriously bite you.

I have PLI and gear insurance organised through the MU. The "free"/£177 issue Hugh quite rightly mentions should however be seen in context. The combination of PLI and the "free up to a certain value" gear insurance (that can in turn be used to cover the excess in any policy you might be offered) that comes with membership may make a significant difference.

Don't forget there are several perfectly proper ways to minimise your premiums, for instance if there are items of gear that never leave your house they do not require international cover. Your guitar might. It's perfectly possible for several policies to cover different levels of risk.

I consider insurance to be, like a driving licence, one of those basic elements that make gigging possible.

With decent cover you will qualify for gigs others won't. Factor that into your sums.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby feline1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:30 pm

Steve A wrote:Am I right in thinking for the MU Public Liability insurance to apply to a band, every band member would also need to be a paid up MU member?

I believe the correct answer is that MU members are forbidden from working with anyone who is not a union member, unless you drive round their house and spraypaint "SCAB" over it. Or something. NOTE: this answer may be wrong.
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:46 pm

feline1 wrote:
Steve A wrote:Am I right in thinking for the MU Public Liability insurance to apply to a band, every band member would also need to be a paid up MU member?

I believe the correct answer is that MU members are forbidden from working with anyone who is not a union member, unless you drive round their house and spraypaint "SCAB" over it. Or something. NOTE: this answer may be wrong.

I believe that's been updated to a burning (c) on the lawn.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby The_BPP » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:57 pm

ken long wrote:Got mine with Aviva.

That sounds like a good deal - I'll have a look!
Thanks!
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:28 pm

The_Big_Piano_Player wrote:
ken long wrote:Got mine with Aviva.

That sounds like a good deal - I'll have a look!
Thanks!

yes it was... but I half read your post (giltee m'lud!). I don't gig.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby mc9320 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Musicguard are also cheap. It costs me £40 to insure my keyboard for £1000000 cover
mc9320
New here

Postby zoosound » Wed May 23, 2012 9:24 pm

+1 for musicguard. You can do it all online too which is pretty handy. I've insured the gear for my rehearsal facilities with them for about 6 years now. £150 per annum with £1m public liability included :)
zoosound
Regular

Postby The_BPP » Thu May 24, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks for the update! I was somewhat disappointed with the initial lack of replies! :)
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby snaxbox » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:42 am

And the vote goes to musicguard! I'm looking for one too actually and I'm still shopping for the best one here in our place. Hope I'll get a nice quote when I do.

(spam signature link removed ;) )
snaxbox

Postby turbodave » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:26 pm

I've used Simply Business for a few years, they always throw up some good bargains. Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:58 am

turbodave wrote:I've used Simply Business for a few years, they always throw up some good bargains. Dave

+1

They can go from sweet-shop to multinational and have great deals and are linked to the other 'simply' companies, such as Simply Books.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster