You are here

archive.org - how come there are commercial albums on there for free?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

archive.org - how come there are commercial albums on there for free?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Tue May 01, 2012 7:26 pm

I'm probably (hopefully) missing something here - but how is it possible to listen to commercially available, copyrighted music by Vangelis, free, on the web site www.archive.org:

http://archive.org/details/VangelissDirect.completeAlbum

I was under the impression that archive.org was a legitimate web site but perhaps I'm wrong? Or perhaps Vangelis' publishers have allowed this to be streamed for free?

Whatever about illegal web sites, it (superficially) seems worrying when major legitimate web sites feel they can provide music illegally.

Any thoughts?

Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Kevin Nolan,KNECT.
www.knect.ie

Re: archive.org - how come there are commercial albums on there for free?

Postby blue manga » Tue May 01, 2012 8:02 pm

sharing is good
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue May 01, 2012 8:27 pm

I agree it's very strange, but the archive has a very good reputation for not handling dodgy stuff and is also quite pro-active about removing material that the owners identify, so I can only guess that they are either not aware of it or it is in fact legit.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Save paradise, Pull up a parking lot!

Postby Kevin Nolan » Tue May 01, 2012 9:42 pm

blue manga wrote:sharing is good

Would you suggest that all current "for sale" goods in the world be shared, cost free?

I'm interested in yout considered thought on that.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Kevin Nolan,KNECT.
www.knect.ie

Postby Frank Rideau » Tue May 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Here we are again.
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Postby blue manga » Wed May 02, 2012 10:05 am

:D

I've no idea btw - if in this instance the Vangelis album is appearing legally or not .. I suspect the rights holders know .. you should look on the Archive as a library really ..

But in these times - it's no bad thing - to share some of your work.
I would even say, in some cases, it's a very strong business strategy to give your best work away.
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Wed May 02, 2012 11:19 am

blue manga wrote: :D

I've no idea btw - if in this instance the Vangelis album is appearing legally or not .. I suspect the rights holders know .. you should look on the Archive as a library really ..

But in these times - it's no bad thing - to share some of your work.
I would even say, in some cases, it's a very strong business strategy to give your best work away.

Fair points - would 'buy into that' outlook myself :-)

It's just very strange to find a large amount of Vangelis' music freely streamed on archive.org!

Cheers
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Kevin Nolan,KNECT.
www.knect.ie

Postby narcoman » Wed May 02, 2012 11:29 am

Kevin Nolan wrote:

It's just very strange to find a large amount of Vangelis' music freely streamed on archive.org!

Cheers
Kevin.

Not when you read into Vangelis' personal beliefs about music and art....
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Kevin Nolan » Thu May 03, 2012 8:55 am

narcoman wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:

Cheers
Kevin.

Please - expand ...
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Kevin Nolan,KNECT.
www.knect.ie

Postby Richie Royale » Thu May 03, 2012 10:04 am

http://www.nemostudios.co.uk/vangelis/interviews/ts82/ts82.htm

Some quotes from him there.

"We had a million seller, then another. I hate it if a project I am involved in, and don’t particularly like, becomes successful."

"I compose for myself, which is the best thing to do, and every day I do something different. Maybe tomorrow it will be a ballet, or an opera, or some African music. I don’t want to be successful. I want to be me"
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby buggymusic » Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 am

sounds like he was tripping :beamup:
buggymusic
Regular

Postby alexis » Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 am

I missed the part where he said, "... and so I want everyone else to take the money I earned from my life's work, please, really, they can have every bit of it".
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby ken long » Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 am

alexis wrote:I missed the part where he said, "... and so I want everyone else to take the money I earned from my life's work, please, really, they can have every bit of it".

That's because that isn't the case. He already earned that money. Anything given away now won't earn him anything.

But I think it's rich saying he composes for himself. I'm sure he's had to change things up for his film work over the years.

"i didn't like working on Blade Runner mate, and I didn't like the fact that I made lots of money from it. Makes me sick"... etc. etc.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby VOLOVIA » Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Vangelis, that brings back memories...

Long time ago I was working in the high-tech floor of Rose-Morris, in London when this funny sounding guy came in and asked me to show him how the M1 (Korg) worked. After a brief demo, I went back to my guitar, messing around (hard working days indeed :) )..

Then he approached me again asking if I wanted to go to a party that night... hmmmm, OK.. and he told me his secretary would have called... sure!

To cut a long story short that guy was Jon Anderson and the party was the launch of another YES album. At the party he approached me asking what I was doing that week... I said working. Could I go to Rome and help a friend of his? The morning after I was sleeping at a top Rome's hotel when a call at 2 in the morning woke me up. "Can you can up to the top floor to talk to 'the man'?"..

Sure. There it was a dinner party coming to an end with various movie people and Vangelis. He promptly sent the other home and sat me down in front of his 'ghetto blaster' to play me endless demo cassettes... "Does this sound OK to you"?

Morning in the studio... well, morning, around 11, fetched by a be-suited driver..

Top recording studio with all his keyboard patched in and blended live by the Man with volume pedals, one key doing the cellos, one strings... all recorded live to tape trough a massive SSL.
My contribution? Patching his new M1 through his analogue-custom made sequencer/arpeggiator.

That was another Vangelis/Anderson album. Me? Within a week, a little, little, bit richer and back in Rose-Morris. Anyone an M1 or even an M3, I throw in the leads?

Then the guy from 'The Final Countdown' popped in.. but that's another story...

Vangelis... a cool-down-to-earth guy whose in love with music. And the trapping of luxury (masseur, etc...).
VOLOVIA
Regular

VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER Songwriter/guitarist

Postby The Elf » Thu May 03, 2012 4:36 pm

What a fantastic life experience. I am deeply, deeply jealous!!! 8-)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby sthum » Thu May 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Richie Royale wrote:http://www.nemostudios.co.uk/vangelis/interviews/ts82/ts82.htm

"We had a million seller, then another. I hate it if a project I am involved in, and don’t particularly like, becomes successful."

"I compose for myself, which is the best thing to do, and every day I do something different. Maybe tomorrow it will be a ballet, or an opera, or some African music. I don’t want to be successful. I want to be me"

I doubt very much if Vangelis was just starting out now that he would be giving his music away for free?

He's clearly made a fortune over the years and can easily afford to make flippant comments about 'million sellers' and 'I don't want to be successful'!

What utter tosh... Sad really..
sthum
Regular

Postby ken long » Thu May 03, 2012 4:50 pm

sthum wrote:
Richie Royale wrote:http://www.nemostudios.co.uk/vangelis/interviews/ts82/ts82.htm

I doubt very much if Vangelis was just starting out now that he would be giving his music away for free?

He's clearly made a fortune over the years and can easily afford to make flippant comments about 'million sellers' and 'I don't want to be successful'!

What utter tosh... Sad really..

exactly that.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Folderol » Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 pm

I wonder if he actually realises that he has changed as he's become richer. A surprising number of people seem to be quite unaware of it.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Save paradise, Pull up a parking lot!

Postby narcoman » Thu May 03, 2012 7:04 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:
narcoman wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:

Cheers
Kevin.

Please - expand ...

He loves his music and he appreciates lovers of his music. He was a LOT of money and is happy for others to enjoy his art. He's a very generous man and very "pro art".
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Kevin Nolan » Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 pm

narcoman wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
narcoman wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:

Cheers
Kevin.

Please - expand ...

He loves his music and he appreciates lovers of his music. He was a LOT of money and is happy for others to enjoy his art. He's a very generous man and very "pro art".

By and large I see where you're coming from - Vangelis has a fabulous philosophy underpinning music and its connection to Humanity, the World and indeed the Universe.

However - he has not given music away free of charge (except on one or two occassions I've read about) and indeed I remember reading he was furious about the unauthorised release of The Dragon and Hypothesis. I also believe he has even had difficulty in securing copyright to remaster albums like Opera Sauvage and Soil Festivities in recent times; suggesting he does not have control over much of his albums releases.

So overall, I strongly suspect he has had absolutely no input into the availability of full commercial albums on archive.org.

Out of interest, I'm going to do a little digging on this when I have the time - I'd like to know just how these (and other) albums are available there.

Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Kevin Nolan,KNECT.
www.knect.ie

Postby Richie Royale » Sat May 05, 2012 10:34 am

Just pointing out that the interview I linked to is from 1982.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Mon May 14, 2012 10:31 am

I find this even amongst the so called names that have 'made it'. The utter enlightened 'I'm touched by some special gift' crap that these guys come out with once they've got the Lambo, the haircut and babes, is amazing. Read the 'enlightened' advice they come out with on FB...man, utter nonsense.

But even worse are the 'names' that take your products with the agreement of providing an endorsement and then they feel they are above it and are entitled to freebies for as long as they live and thus hold back....This also applies to crappy record labels, thieving manufacturers and the like...

Yep, our industry has completely lost its credibility and therefore these 'views' simply add to the lack of any real depth and integrity......that we once used to have.

Now, flame away guys.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of these sanctimonious dikheds.....
Zukan

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses