You are here

How much band receive from a ticket sale vs venue?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

How much band receive from a ticket sale vs venue?

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 pm

I am sure this is negotiable but for a pretty accomplished band with a following
that can get 250 'ish' attendance in a venue what would be typical, 50/50 venue vs band.

cheers
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Re: How much band receive from a ticket sale vs venue?

Postby Dave Gate » Mon May 14, 2012 12:37 pm

It depends what deal you can strike with whoever does the bookings at the venue. The most common deals are:

1) Flat fee plus a percentage after agreed costs are covered (staffing, equipment hire, publicity etc.)

2) Straight percentage after agreed costs are covered

3) You hire the venue for an agreed fee and keep all the door money - but the onus is on you to sell the place out.

I've seen all three work, and I've also seen all three fail. The most common in my experience is deal 1, but if you're not a known quantity then don't expect a massive guaranteed fee. No booker in the world is going to just take your word that you can pull 250 people, so you'd need to provide some sort of proof. One way of doing that is to put your money where your mouth is and hire the venue yourself the first time; that way the venue risks nothing and you can prove everything.
Dave Gate
Regular

Gear List: reverse only.

Postby zenguitar » Mon May 14, 2012 12:55 pm

And if you can guarantee those numbers, and they are the sort of people who like a pint or 4, some venues can even be persuaded to give you the venue free because they will make their money over the bar.

And it's always worth a try. I do feel very uncomfortable about paying for the privilege of providing 400 thirsty punters to put money over the venue's bar, especially venues that have expensive bar prices.

Definitely something to keep in mind when negotiating. The more people you bring in, the more beer they sell.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby Scramble » Mon May 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Humans are machines built to enable genes to survive (whether or not the humans realize it). Similarly, bands are machines built to enable beer to be sold (whether or not the bands realize it)!
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Mon May 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Nice replies thanks it was just something out of interest, rather than planning on breaking the next big thing, lol. Cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
online mastering
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Mon May 14, 2012 4:02 pm

I think that I should add the caveat that I'm speaking as someone who worked in a purpose-built venue with two rooms holding 1500 and 400 people respectively, and that's the sort of deals that our booker was doing. However my mate who used to run the pub where I have a pint from time to time used to charge a £20 deposit on his 120 capacity function room, which he returned if more than 40 people showed up - it was just to cover the cost of one barperson to look after the bar in the room, in case no beer was sold.
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue May 15, 2012 6:15 pm

zenguitar wrote:The more people you bring in, the more beer they sell.

What we in the folk world call liquid rent.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's StudioNumber 1 in a field of 1.

Postby The Korff » Wed May 16, 2012 10:08 am

Dave's ballpark figures are pretty much spot-on, in my experience.

We've got a few smaller local pub/venues round our way (capacity closer to 100) that do things slightly differently: they don't charge on the door (because they're pubs), but the landlord will often give the promoter, say, £150 if they can fill the place for a night.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Postby Dave Gate » Wed May 16, 2012 11:13 am

I should also have added that the percentages in deals 1 & 2 tended to be favoured towards the band - 80/20 or 70/30 were typical.
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby Emmet » Wed May 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Dave Gate wrote:I think that I should add the caveat that I'm speaking as someone who worked in a purpose-built venue with two rooms holding 1500 and 400 people respectively

53 Degrees?

For the O/P, if you do reckon you can get 250 punters in a venue, you should be looking to hire a venue yourself and promote yourself. Venue hire....£500 approx. 250 x £7 tickets = £1750 = £1200 profit (less promo costs) plus merch on top of that.

Boom!
Emmet
Regular

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Wed May 16, 2012 3:24 pm

80/20 or 70/30

Thats the figures I was wondering about, thanks.
This is purely out of interest.

SafeandSound Mastering
online mastering services
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Thu May 17, 2012 6:00 am

Emmet wrote:
Dave Gate wrote:I think that I should add the caveat that I'm speaking as someone who worked in a purpose-built venue with two rooms holding 1500 and 400 people respectively

53 Degrees?

For the O/P, if you do reckon you can get 250 punters in a venue, you should be looking to hire a venue yourself and promote yourself. Venue hire....£500 approx. 250 x £7 tickets = £1750 = £1200 profit (less promo costs) plus merch on top of that.

Boom!

You've hit the nail on the head, there. But I don't have any connection with them now, having left in 2010.
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby Emmet » Thu May 17, 2012 10:17 am

play there every year..nice place.
Emmet
Regular

Postby atechnogirl » Tue May 29, 2012 11:16 pm

If you log up 10 gigs, and join PRS, you will get some money from them too, under the gigs and clubs scheme. Just make sure you note down every gig, and that the license payer has been registered with PRS.
atechnogirl
Regular

Postby feline1 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:33 am

atechnogirl wrote:If you log up 10 gigs, and join PRS, you will get some money from them too, under the gigs and clubs scheme. Just make sure you note down every gig, and that the license payer has been registered with PRS.

Actually, you no longer have to submit gigs in batches of 10: due to their amazing new automated on-line web-form, you can submit them one-at-a-time as you do them.

If the venue does not have a PRS live music license, you can report them and PRS will turn up in a van and bundle them in and take them to jail.

The amount of money per gig from PRS is usually about £5 in total, split pro-rata amoungst all the songs performed, between all their co-writers/and/or/publishers. I would say "peanuts", but actually in many bars you would be hard pressed to afford a packet of peanuts these days with £5.
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~