You are here

Peter Hook launches music industry degree

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Postby Theremax » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:31 am

To be fair he's probably got a wealth of experience to pass on but I'm always wary about wrapping these things up in a formalised degree (with the associated fees). If he wants to put something back, why not just mentor people already in the industry?
Theremax
Regular

Re: Peter Hook launches music industry degree

Postby johnny h » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 am

Theramin wrote: Peter Hook launches music industry degree

To be fair he's probably got a wealth of experience to pass on but I'm always wary about wrapping these things up in a formalised degree (with the associated fees). If he wants to put something back, why not just mentor people already in the industry?

The guy is an idiot. He mimes dj sets. His time has passed.

http://www.thefader.com/2008/01/28/peter-hook-busted-for-fake-djing/
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 am

I'm deeply suspicious of people who talk about "putting something back". It usually means they're looking for new ways to get more out.
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:40 am

Maybe it is lessons on how to take a pre-mixed CD and then play that to a crowd whilst pointlessly tweaking knobs and getting paid for it. He could get Mistabishi to help out giving the lecture.

At least Paris Hilton DJs live, even if it is terrible.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Theremax » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:48 am

johnny h wrote:

Ha - I'd forgotten about that!
Theremax
Regular

Postby Theremax » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 am

Richie Royale wrote:At least Paris Hilton DJs live, even if it is terrible.

Well, with a bit of help!
Theremax
Regular

Postby feline1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:52 am

Hookey? This would not so much be a degree in basket weaving as a degree by basket casing /facepalms gently/
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby The_BPP » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 am

My uncle used to live next door to Peter Hook in Didsbury.

Apparently, he does a very impressive fire works display.

I hope this helps the topic in some small way.
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby Phil O » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:59 am

I wonder if there'll be a module on playing your bass 6" from the ground
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby GlynB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:47 am

Just what the world needs, another degree.
GlynB
Regular

Postby grab » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Phil O wrote:I wonder if there'll be a module on playing your bass 6" from the ground

Entitled "Don't do this unless you want to f*ck up your shoulder and spine", no doubt.
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Also available:

"The Future of Feminism" - by Mullah Omar.
"European Studies" - Nigel Farage.
"Landscape Painting for the Enthusiastic Pensioner" - Tracey Emin
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm

johnny h wrote:
Theramin wrote: Peter Hook launches music industry degree

The nephew of a friend of mine, quite a few years ago now, was in a band that was to some extent sponsored (not finacially) by the great Hook, and what they had to say about him was not very complimentary, in fact they sacked him! But what they did say, well suffice it to say he had an ego the size of Wales and was constantly banging on about how New Order done him wrong, he bored the liver out them, they said he would be better renting himself out as a human sleeping pill!

And a degree from Preston Polytechnic, well, go figure how much use that will be LOL
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Those on this course can join the over 1,000 music business graduates that UK universities shove out every year and the 150 to 200 post-graduate MAs and PhDs that hope for gainful employment. I received several CVs today from music tech and music business grads - and all of them addressed me as 'Hi there!' and each and every one of them had grammatical mistakes!

So remember - Asda needs you! Them shelves don't fill themselves, you know! (Unless you have a 2:1 in a real business degree; then they'll give you a real job!)
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:42 pm

I find it very sad that a university (never mind that it's a former Polytechnic) which has some genuinely world leading research groups (I know that you won't believe me on that, but it's true, my ex-wife used to belong to one of them) feels it necessary to launch something as facile as this.
Dave Gate
Regular

Gear List: reverse only.

Postby johnny h » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Dave Gate wrote:I find it very sad that a university (never mind that it's a former Polytechnic) which has some genuinely world leading research groups (I know that you won't believe me on that, but it's true, my ex-wife used to belong to one of them) feels it necessary to launch something as facile as this.

It is very sad that an institution like that is used to feed the ego of that washed up idiot, wasting the time and money of young people in the process. I wish someone with the means to stop this would do so - is there any sort of organisation in the education system at all?
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Dave Gate wrote:........which has some genuinely world leading research groups.......

One swallow (or a handful of them) doesn't make a summer!

But hand it to Cap'n Hook, he's managed to persuade some impressionable 'tuned in and turned on' academic that such a course will flourish, yeah well, we'll see, to be sure the Hookster will make a few bob out of it
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 pm

What a Rotter!

Postby Dave Gate » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:17 am

For what it's worth. I think that someone should have said "hang on a second, this is really bad PR, and will play right into the hands of the 'ex-poly, Mickey Mouse degree' types" and also that, to be honest, if they really wanted Peter Hook's input why not just hire him as a guest lecturer for a couple of hours to speak to students on existing courses?
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby Veeagra » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:23 am

Lesson 1, don't let someone buy a nightclub with your money.
Veeagra
Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:26 am

Dave Gate wrote:For what it's worth. I think that someone should have said "hang on a second, this is really bad PR, and will play right into the hands of the 'ex-poly, Mickey Mouse degree' types" and also that, to be honest, if they really wanted Peter Hook's input why not just hire him as a guest lecturer for a couple of hours to speak to students on existing courses?

+1
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 am

OneWorld wrote:
Dave Gate wrote:For what it's worth. I think that someone should have said "hang on a second, this is really bad PR, and will play right into the hands of the 'ex-poly, Mickey Mouse degree' types" and also that, to be honest, if they really wanted Peter Hook's input why not just hire him as a guest lecturer for a couple of hours to speak to students on existing courses?

+1

If they give that guy the time of day they deserve nothing but contempt and pity. As do the suckers who sign up for the course. Really a degree? Such a ridiculous concept to allow an academically and vocationally worthless waste of paper to be called a degree. More a certificate of idiocy.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:45 am

But if you want to learn about the music industry you could do a lot worse than learn from someone like Hooky, he knows it inside out! Unlike a lot of other talking heads who have never been anywhere near it other than a book and lots of internet research.

Postby johnny h » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:01 am

ow wrote:But if you want to learn about the music industry you could do a lot worse than learn from someone like Hooky, he knows it inside out! Unlike a lot of other talking heads who have never been anywhere near it other than a book and lots of internet research.

What pearls of wisdom is he likely to depart? How to put a free mixmag cd into a cd player and mime dj gigs? How to have one of the most bloated egos in the music business? How to have long running petty disputes with everyone you have worked with?

Think I can let that golden opportunity pass me by.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:55 am

Like I said, he might have been useful as a guest lecturer, but among others so that the students could make up their minds about how useful what he said was. But it's not really a Masters level course, if you ask me.
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 pm

johnny h wrote:
What pearls of wisdom is he likely to depart? How to put a free mixmag cd into a cd player and mime dj gigs? How to have one of the most bloated egos in the music business? How to have long running petty disputes with everyone you have worked with?

You missed, how to run a club into the ground!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacienda-How-Not-Run-Club/dp/1847371353
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:27 pm

johnny h wrote:
ow wrote:But if you want to learn about the music industry you could do a lot worse than learn from someone like Hooky, he knows it inside out! Unlike a lot of other talking heads who have never been anywhere near it other than a book and lots of internet research.

Yeah!

Postby Fen_Tigger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:07 pm

ow wrote:But if you want to learn about the music industry you could do a lot worse than learn from someone like Hooky, he knows it inside out!

"You see what I did back then? Never, ever do that..."
Fen_Tigger
Poster
"Playing the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order"

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:33 pm

In unrelated news, Jeffrey Skilling, former CEO of Enron will be giving a series of lectures on corporate governance, Fred Goodwin, former CEO of RBS, will be conducting seminars on successful mergers and acquisitions and the role of due diligence in banking and last, but not least, Richard (The Gorilla!) Fuld, former CEO of Lehmann Brothers, will be heading up a new course on how to manage corporate risk.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:53 pm

"Quick Hooky run! They're after me now! I'll hold 'em off, get the motor started!"

Next