You are here

BA Olympic Apocalypse Advert Editing Catastrophe...

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

BA Olympic Apocalypse Advert Editing Catastrophe...

Postby molecular » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Somebody just brought THIS to my attention.

Don't they listen? Don't they ever listen past the first three words? Do they have the faintest idea of the apocalypse they are inciting on behalf of the sporting community?

AND when somebody said they'd used this I suggested as a joke that they've probably removed a horridly a-rhythmic number of lines to make the end fit the 1 min mark and they only f****** have, as well...

UGH.
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.

Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Re: BA Olympic Apocalypse Advert Editing Catastrophe...

Postby narcoman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:22 pm

Don't see what's wrong with it, apart fom Strummer wouldn't have authorised it if he was alive.

Works and works well. And there's nothing wrong with the symmetry, rhythms or use of the edit. Yes, it's edited, but it's done with musical sense.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby molecular » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Well, the edit could have been worse, for sure - I suppose that one is a matter of taste. I find it really grating, though. Those two missing beats from "you've got a friend" in that RAC advert used to drive me up the wall!

You have to admit, it is a song about London descending into an apocalyptic mayhem of rioting and nuclear disaster and about fearlessly accepting a complete obliteration of everything it stands for... which is at best grist to the mill for Have I Got News For You.

I also live not far from a forestry plantation part funded in memorial to Joe Strummer and his desire to offset carbon emissions, which just adds another layer of irritation to the whole thing.

I can live with Johnny Rotten selling margarine - strikes me he was always a muppet - but not the Clash. They actually knew what they were talking about.
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:01 am

narcoman wrote: apart fom Strummer wouldn't have authorised it if he was alive.

Mick Jones presumably has though. Also, in their defence, 'London Calling' was originally a BBC call sign.

Personally, I think it's about as appropriate as using Springsteen's Born in the USA as a campaign song...

DM
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

And of course there must be something wrong. In wanting to silence any song.

Postby narcoman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:08 am

molecular wrote:

I can live with Johnny Rotten selling margarine - strikes me he was always a muppet - but not the Clash. They actually knew what they were talking about.

Jones never did. He just wanted to be " keef". As I say, if Strummer was alive it wouldn't have been cleared.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby feline1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:29 am

molecular wrote:

You have to admit, it is a song about London descending into an apocalyptic mayhem of rioting and nuclear disaster and about fearlessly accepting a complete obliteration of everything it stands for... which is at best grist to the mill for Have I Got News For You.

I'm sure David Icke will be a long shortly to explain all about Illuminati Mind Control and what They want you to do...
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Paul Farrer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:05 am

just confirms what we all knew anyway.

1. Ad agencies are looking for something 'cool'.
2. It mentions London in the title.
3. Nothing else matters. At all.
4. They would probably have spent more on the casting director's personal assistant than they ever would have on licensing music from The Clash.
5. They would probably have spent more money on post it notes and Lattes than they ever would spend on a music editor to chop the track up in a musically co-hearant way.
6. I prefer Virgin Atlantic.
7. err.
8. That's it.
Paul Farrer
Regular

Postby turbodave » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:16 am

Sod all this......I am more concerned with NONSENSE
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby Chaparazzi » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:50 am

Often, I'm asked to edit songs in a similar way. Some of the agency creatives I work with will choose a track for it's direct out of context meaning and ignore it's lyrical context and value. Opinions are somewhat subjective on this but if it ultimately results in negative press for the advertiser then I suppose you can't argue. Thing is it rarely does. 'Little boxes' on the O2 ad is another example of a track being totally out of context. The contextual meaning of many songs can get diluted at new generations of consumers are placed in the firing line of the advertisers. I find this an interesting subject and would like to find more examples of 'out of context' music in advertising. I'm sure most artists stand by their morals until they see the sync fee and PRS potential.
Chaparazzi
Regular

Amazing take, spot on, just perfect....right....one more time.

Postby corsa 1.6i » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:57 am

Chaparazzi wrote:I find this an interesting subject and would like to find more examples of 'out of context' music in advertising.

well just look at the way the goalpost have changed over the decades - remember the 70's and frys turkish delight and how that had some kind of exotic ethnic vibe??

fast forward to present day and what have we got advertising chocolate? a gimp in a monkey suit playing along to phil colins thats what

how times have changed eh? and they call it progess
corsa 1.6i

Postby narcoman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:33 am

Paul Farrer wrote:
5. They would probably have spent more money on post it notes and Lattes than they ever would spend on a music editor to chop the track up in a musically co-hearant way.

What's not coherent about the edit? Sacrilege yes, musically incoherent?
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby Madman_Greg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:54 am

Most people only know two words in the song anyway, and they are the two key ones that matter to the ad men on terms of delivering their message.

In general the edits sound OK, but if you listen closely you can hear where they have chopped stuff off.
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby narcoman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:10 am

im guessing you guys have never watched TV or films before
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby Frisonic » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:11 am

I laughed like a drain when I first saw it! BA have indeed used an apocalyptic song to promote the part they feel they will play in the London Olympics. Someone mentioned this already but it crossed my mind too: Its even worse than Ronald Reagan using the conviction Democrat Bruce Springsteen's 'Born In the USA' as a Republican campaign song (a song which, like 'London Calling' sounds very up beat and patriotic but is actually about the shame felt by many Americans post Vietnam and the last years of the Cold War). I also realise that 99.9999% of people who see the ad wont care even if they suss the faux pass. But I also found some of the the visual content disturbing: Specifically the number of jet air liners that BA had apparently had to crash land in central London. The imagery of 'engines stopping running' and airplanes falling out of the sky scored a home run with me first time I saw it pop across the screen and, whilst it seems to fit nicely with Joe Strummer's original lyric it presumably falls a long way short of BA's marketing aspirations (not to mention the runways at Heathrow). Put the two together, I suppose you be kind and conclude its deliberate, in the same way that soap powder ads are supposed to be annoying, but a less kind interpretation would be that they had entirely failed to think about the combined impact properly at all. Let's hope nobody drowns during the swimming or off one of the Thames Clipper commuter boats during the event! I can't defend this obviously very expensive ad. I agree with monecular: Fail.
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Still strictly project but lately on the run.

Postby narcoman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 am

Frisonic wrote: but a less kind interpretation would be that they had entirely failed to think about the combined impact properly at all.

I think you offer the UK public at large a measure of intellect which they may not live up to.

The track has been used in synch before; usually as some rallying call even though that was not the writers intent. As with so many other cases, works often transcend the artists message. Witness how many love songs are actually often about very different things yet the individual reads their own message. So yes, the song has little connection with lauding London as the place to be but that in itself is a "fail". A failure to understand that works have a life way beyond that of the author.

Further, It can only really be a "fail" if that's how the majority see it. Little bit like arguing with a ten year old that Katy Perry is crap. We all know she is - but the minority is the one left with egg on its face whilst the rest laugh thinking how stupid we are for being so smug. Unles, of course, some mighty tabloid decides to poke fun .... now, I wonder..... who do I know....?..
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 am

Talking about advertising means the advert has worked.

According to Wiki, Strummer let Jaguar use it in 2002.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Frisonic » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:48 am

molecular wrote: I can live with Johnny Rotten selling margarine - strikes me he was always a muppet

My understanding is that John Lydon was paid £250k for his first Country Life campaign, which he used pretty much all of to fund PIL's return to touring in the noughties with an 11 date tour of the UK and near Europe. It was such a success they have ever since been making excellent money playing to packed houses everywhere from Israel to Kazakhstan (to 80,000 including Putin and Medvedev). You can think what you like about Mr Lydon but his muppetry got him to a position where he was able to command a fee of that magnitude 40 years after everybody thought he'd had his 15 minutes. And he used it to buy himself and his friends another 15 minutes that seems to have now lapsed into at least 45... Unlike BA's recent offering, whoever made those Country Life ads understood irony (waving Union Flag at Queen/reducing rural idyl to a lousy lifestyle choice whilst wearing a country suit* etc.). It being a dairy product not withstanding, I thought they milked Mr Lydon beautifully.

* Both John Lydon and the late Joe Strummers used to regularly attend a certain barn at a dairy and cider farm on the Somerset Levels for heavy scrumpy sessions (actually I think there was more than just scrumpy involved - the ash trays were always very full anyway). So to be fair he has a better insight into the lifestyle of a dairy farmer than many people might realise).
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Postby molecular » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:49 am

narcoman wrote:im guessing you guys have never watched TV or films before

No it just takes a VERY long time for me to get annoyed enough to post something here! Straw that broke the camel's back I guess
molecular
Frequent Poster

Postby molecular » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:03 am

Frisonic wrote:... to be fair he has a better insight into the lifestyle of a dairy farmer than many people might realise

All great, although I suspect Anarchism is a very bad business model for an industry dependent on animals.

Also, while I agree that the ad campaign turned the posh country life ideal into a spoof very successfully, it also did the same for the sex pistols (not for the first time...). They have long become one with their own harmless cartoon-ish send-ups, and strike about as much fear into the establishment as a Jamie Oliver Sainsbury's advert.

For whatever reason, this hasn't happened with the Clash, despite previous ad shenanigans, and I would have it stay that way if I could.

Essentially it comes down to people like BA using a song like London to jump on the Olympic "Let's all celebrate britishness" bandwagon, by trying to hi-jack quite a disturbing song about everything that is wrong with Britain. So, Narco - you might be ok with the technical quality of the editing and the fact that tone "works", but maybe the word for it is artless. The whole thing is painfully, painfully crap. I know it's advertising and it's supposed to be painfully crap, but it's smug as well, because in this instance it doesn't know it's crap, it thinks it's edgy and London-y.
molecular
Frequent Poster

Postby molecular » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:06 am

Frisonic wrote:My understanding is that John Lydon was paid £250k for his first Country Life campaign, which he used pretty much all of to fund PIL's return to touring in the noughties with an 11 date tour of the UK and near Europe. It was such a success they have ever since been making excellent money playing to packed houses everywhere from Israel to Kazakhstan (to 80,000 including Putin and Medvedev). You can think what you like about Mr Lydon but his muppetry got him to a position where he was able to command a fee of that magnitude 40 years after everybody thought he'd had his 15 minutes.

15 minutes was plenty.
molecular
Frequent Poster

Postby Frisonic » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:06 am

narcoman wrote:
Frisonic wrote: but a less kind interpretation would be that they had entirely failed to think about the combined impact properly at all.

I think you offer the UK public at large a measure of intellect which they may not live up to.

The track has been used in synch before; usually as some rallying call even though that was not the writers intent. As with so many other cases, works often transcend the artists message. Witness how many love songs are actually often about very different things yet the individual reads their own message. So yes, the song has little connection with lauding London as the place to be but that in itself is a "fail". A failure to understand that works have a life way beyond that of the author.

Further, It can only really be a "fail" if that's how the majority see it. Little bit like arguing with a ten year old that Katy Perry is crap. We all know she is - but the minority is the one left with egg on its face whilst the rest laugh thinking how stupid we are for being so smug. Unles, of course, some mighty tabloid decides to poke fun .... now, I wonder..... who do I know....?..

I agree with all of that except those of us who have a vague understanding of the industry expect advertising creatives to operate at a higher level. Especially ones with such huge budgets (that was not a cheap ad). I'm someone who believes advertising is an art form. I'd rather watch a brilliantly constructed 30 seconds of advertisement than an hour and a half of most films. They're selling to the great unwashed, yes, but at the top of their game they are doing it at levels of sophistication the great unwashed could never even conceive. As you very well know! And to be fair the apocalyptic message in 'London Calling' is not exactly subliminal.
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Postby blue manga » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:49 am

Frisonic wrote: I'm someone who believes advertising is an art form.

then u do the spotty little self absorbed urchins way too much credit.

Advertising, in general - is selling junk, to people that don't need it. that's all.

The track does not gel with the spot, actually .. something orchestral (also British, if you like) would have worked better.. although, talking points, are always good.

But if a flailing BA can ingratiate themselves with the wide demographic (both today's and yesterday's and the day before's youth) who have some affinity with this music, they would much rather just use this track - and feel cool / loved for a minute ..

The ad' doesn't even directly sell anything as such - it's just a brand builder .. and that's why they have hijacked (no pun intended) the track..

I don't think it's really going to make any difference on whether there is an apocalypse or not though .. so I wouldn't get too worked up about that..

It's just an ad' which is a bit sickening because of the way the sound track has been used .. the sound track doesn't even work with the corporate careful sanitized images and brand tbh .. but that's not the point .. it's cheap (not monetarily - creatively) ingratiation ..

Apocalypse will either go ahead or not, either way.
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:56 am

blue manga wrote:
The ad' doesn't even directly sell anything as such - it's just a brand builder ..

It is working as it is being talked about. The best way to boycott adverts is to not talk about them, no matter how annoying they may be.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby blue manga » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:18 pm

blue manga wrote:.. although, talking points, are always good.
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby Frisonic » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:24 pm

blue manga wrote: Advertising, in general - is selling junk, to people that don't need it. that's all.

That's the economy! Including much of the music industry although their consumer base have got slightly out of the habit of buying the product. Advertising is merely one of the means by which people go about doing the selling. BTW I didn't say all advertising was art, just that it can be and the best of it is.

You're right about this ad being strictly about brand building. I think it even goes so far as to suggest to its British audience that they should stay home and support Team GB during the Olympics rather than get on a BA plane? But for me, because I responded to the misuse of 'London Calling' as I did, the associations with the brand are negative. I was left feeling "Virgin wouldn't have made that mistake, crass as their own advertising usually is". So the impact on me has been to feel Virgin Atlantic are a better experience (and more British if you like - I couldn't care less about sovereignty myself) than BA.
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Postby Fen_Tigger » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:47 pm

narcoman wrote:
molecular wrote:

Jones never did. He just wanted to be " keef". As I say, if Strummer was alive it wouldn't have been cleared.

Dunno about Keef, from what I remember from "The Last Gang in Town" Mick wanted to be Ian Hunter...
Fen_Tigger
Poster
"Playing the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order"

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:21 pm

I have to say I did pass comment on this to the wife the other night, nowt is sacred. Historically most forms of counter culture are absorbed and regurgitated in a benign / twisted form. A bit of respect is in order towards peoples original intention I think in an ideal world. Thats not a world we live in right now.

I just wonder how many human beings eye sight could be saved with £9,000,000,000.00, yes thats 9 thousand million. Not to mention the impact on their relatives whom many will be supporting.
It puts things in perspective for me. I will not be watching the opening ceremony.

These people know the details.. http://www.sightsavers.org/about_us/default.html
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

And of course there must be something wrong. In wanting to silence any song.

Postby DaleSmith » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

Hammer. Nail. Head.

DaleSmith
Regular

Postby jpalmer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:34 pm

Breaking news: the advertising world is not a place of idealism or moral/creative sanctity.

I thought it was stating the obvious but unless it's for a band's album, adverts are never about the music used in them. They cut, copy & paste the music until it's twisted into a soundscape that fits the brand, not the other way around - even if it takes the original meaning of a song and completely goes against the meaning/ideals of its creators.

And isn't the fact that it's been edited down to fit the timing of a commercial kind of what you'd expect from any ad made during the last, I dunno, 10-15 years? If you want to hear the original unedited song, I doubt whether a 60 second commercial is the place to look.

Music in this context is like a font or a colour scheme; just a tone and a texture. In the case of using popular songs it almost always annoys the hell out of 'true' fans. So what. No, nothing is sacred and why should it be? It's just a brand trying to sell you something - if you're too clever, worthy or liable to put sacred cows on pedestals, just ignore it, something will be along shortly more suitable for your demographic...
jpalmer
Regular

Next