You are here

Music Publishing...

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Music Publishing...

Postby Escoba » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi there everyone, new to this forum.

I'm trying to get my head around music publishing.

Is there any recommended books or websites to help?
I've been reading a book from an American on music publishing but I believe they have different publishing rules and regs so I really wanted to find out more about UK's /Euro music publishing

At help is much appreciated

Thanks
Escoba

Re: Music Publishing...

Postby narcoman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:59 pm

There isn't much difference in terms of rules and law. The main differences are in payment structures. What do you want to know?
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Escoba » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:20 pm

narcoman wrote:There isn't much difference in terms of rules and law. The main differences are in payment structures. What do you want to know?

Thanks Nacroman

That's one of the main things I'd like to know is payment structures? Who gets what etc? Also what is MCPS?

Thank u
Escoba

Postby narcoman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:49 am

MCPS is the organisation who collect money for the recording of published works (generally for commercial gain but there are other areas too). Important - it is the money for the recording of the work, not the recording itself. That is a different royalty.
PRS is the organisation who collect money for the performance of published works.

Who gets what:

The publisher tales the publishers share and distributes that part to the published members of a track (generally the writers!!)
The writer gets the writers share direct.

The above agencies collect the money at source and send half to the writer and half to the publisher.

So...

Sale of recording of published work ----> money (8.5% of the dealer price) -> MCPS -> publisher and writer

Performance of published work ----> money --> PRS -> publisher and writer

Publishing splits vary from 90/10 deals in favour of the writer all the way to 100% to the publisher for many libraries
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Escoba » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Thank u so much!
Escoba