You are here

Never had it so good!

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Never had it so good!

Postby jonnie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:23 am

Now I'm old enough to remember getting a demo on cassette tape (Dolby C noise reduction no less!)
getting a wad duplicated,buying Jiffy bags, running down to the Post Office - and paying 75p post to various "big labels" did they listen to them? probably not!
In this day of electronic communication abundance, its so easy to just concentrate on your music,then a few clicks on the web and voila!
Even if your a novice starting out, prices of equipment are staggeringly low compared to the early 80's when I started. You can get away with say 3, 2nd hand Emu proteus modules, master keyboard,small mixer (maybe 8/12 channel) computer with sequence software and really you can get some great results for say 600GBP! Way back when I started a 2nd hand 16 channel mixer would set you back easily 600GBP! So its never been a better time to invest in some great equipment - go to myspace, click music and type in john monaghan, I used 3 Emu proteus modules. master board, old office computer/ancient copy of Cubase. obviously I used a small digital recorder for the guitar/vocals - but the system does work!
jonnie
Poster

Re: Never had it so good!

Postby narcoman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:17 am

yup in one way. Absolutely.

The downside is we no longer have a filter or barrier to entry in terms of working hard to be good! The tech hides all manner of inability.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:55 am

Plus, if you want to be heard there's a thousand more outlets gummed up by many million more 'artists' encouraging the more entrepreneurial amongst us to use novel means to draw attention to our product. T'was ever thus.

We've never had it so good? Depends what 'it' is.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

People with black cats shouldn't get black stair carpet.

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Hardware (and/or software) isn't the main cost....

A hit record, a commercially successful piece of music, has to be something that moves the listener enough to make them spend. This requires a healthy level of musical, lyrical and technical expertise, which takes a long time to achieve, which costs a lot more in the long run.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:09 pm

jonnie wrote:
In this day of electronic communication abundance, its so easy to just concentrate on your music,then a few clicks on the web and voila!

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby jonnie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Yes;
with the music field open to more lightweight "composers" it does muddy the field for serious artists in it for the long haul vying for exposure - however from a music retailers point of view (which i used to be in Glasgow) there's nothing like selling gear and advice to the next budding muso with his head full of aspirations (the bulk of the majority of music gear sold is bought by enthusiastic amateur musos - not by pro's who generally keep their top flight guitars/equipment for years!) whereas the "amateur market" has a higher frequency of sales turnaround.
jonnie
Poster

Postby Frisonic » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:51 pm

The big labels may not have listened to much of the unsolicited demo material they were sent back in the day. In 2012 we may not know we are born when it comes to the 'democratization' of instruments, real and virtual, and the means to record and process them into a published, digital product. Its true. As musicians we've never had it so good. Unfortunately the flip side is audiences do not value the music they hear in the same way and more seriously, they have far less band width in their attention span to actually listen to it in a meaningful way, as we generally did those hard won recordings that got produced and published up to say about 2000.

Its feast, not famine. But it sometimes feels more like gluttony than nourishment. And few seem able to remember what any of it tasted like. Too many chocolates?
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Still strictly project but lately on the run.

Postby VOLOVIA » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Absolutely, isn't it just bizarre? Totally, with the available free time in our lives and the shear amount of music, free or otherwise, that is available now!

In shame and disbelief I find myself listening more and more to music by the 'preview all' function in iTunes: it plays full minute of each song on a CD and this seems to satisfy me nowadays!

The other day I was listening (don't judge!) to the missing albums in my collection from Santana, quite a few since he recorded tens.. but I was fulfilled with this cheeky peek, not wanting to commit to any purchases, and I am not THAT stingy! Too much stuff, and in one minute, nothing 'hit me' enough to part with the best part of 80 p.

I was also catching up with the Rolling Stones, with their 30+ new compilation CD. One minute of those (awfully recorded early) tracks was more than enough FOR ME (did they use a bass player or a rumble maker?).

It's like a cake addict working in a bakery. First you rejoice, then scoff, then get sick at the sight of sugar.. I am scared, really scared now!
VOLOVIA
Regular

VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER

Songwriter/guitarist

Postby narcoman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:19 pm

you just mentioned my new hobby
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Do you know, thinking about it, I listen to much less music than I used to. Anything recent usually comes to me via my offspring and they tend to be as incessant as I used to be. That, combined with the constant drone of the radio means I get quite enough of that to keep me happy.The last few CDs I bought were replacements for some I lent out and never saw again. Sadly, I don't feel like I'm missing much.

I do have quite a collection of YouTube videos of fave musicians from around the world, though. Folky stuff recorded in little clubs and presented as ads for the club and the band I find most satisfying. Modern tech has certainly made that kind of project possible.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

People with black cats shouldn't get black stair carpet.

Postby jonnie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Maybe as we get older - we just listen less in every aspect of life!certainly the younger generation are incredibly teched up with an array of musical replay weapons at their disposal than we ever had in the 70's/80's. Just had a horrible thought...imagine buying your new shiny car, and as an optional extra,free music downloads for a year! (maybe I'll opt for the metallic paint finish! There will always be different musical platforms,every industry is the same,amateur,semi and pro. but as a naturally curious breed we always long for something new and exciting - music is no exception whether you make it or listen to it! (now where did I put that Hendrix LP?)
jonnie
Poster

Postby GlynB » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Best way to enjoy music is... to stop listening to so much of it!

Starve yerself for a few weeks, listen to nothing. Then play that recommended album by (insert name here) and it will sound so much fresher.

I can feel it happening to me, i listen to too much and it starts to lose its magic... so I listen to radio Four for a few weeks and come back to music and find myself loving something and being excited by it again.

Defo like alcohol, the more you have the less affect it has. If you crave the hit, abstain for a while.
GlynB
Regular