You are here

Copyright question

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Copyright question

Postby ScudS » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:52 am

So i am taking a crack at registering the copyright here in the U.S. If using Form SR is it correct to list all 4 band members as authors with the the sole composer and lyricist being credited with sound recording, performance, music and lyrics and the other 3 members as sound recording and performance only? Or are the other 3 members not included at all? I assume work for hire would be none for all. Correct also? Everything is all original. Thanks.
ScudS
New here

Re: Copyright question

Postby ScudS » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:30 am

Nobody can offer advice on this?
ScudS
New here

Re: Copyright question

Postby GaryM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:28 am

ScudS wrote:So i am taking a crack at registering the copyright here in the U.S. If using Form SR is it correct to list all 4 band members as authors with the the sole composer and lyricist being credited with sound recording, performance, music and lyrics and the other 3 members as sound recording and performance only? Or are the other 3 members not included at all? I assume work for hire would be none for all. Correct also? Everything is all original. Thanks.

I had a look at http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formsr.pdf and it says:

Generally, for the claim to cover both the sound recording and the underlying
work(s), every author should have contributed to both the sound recording and
the underlying work(s).

... so I think in your case the songwriter should fill in Form PA and register the song and the band should fill in form SR and register the recording. Though I don't have any experience with registering copyright in the USA.
GaryM
Regular