You are here

Question About Radio Royalties

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Question About Radio Royalties

Postby Roco » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:31 pm

I understand some of the basics about getting radio royalties via PRS, but I've just been looking through the current royalty rates and there's something that still confuses me.

For example, here's what the PRS site has for Kiss 100 royalties:

Kiss 100 FM (Census) R0748 Census 91 £ 1.26 16.5
Kiss 100 FM (Sampled) R0131 Census 91 £ 14.87 16.5

Why is there two separate entries for Census and Sampled? I always thought generally a radio station used only one of those methods.

How would you know whether your track was going going to fall under the 'Census' method and get just £1.26 per minute, or under 'sampled' in which case it would get £14.87 per minute?
Roco
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:00 pm

Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby feline1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:03 pm

they're just going to give all the money to Adele anyways, so it hardly really matters, does it?
User avatar
feline1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~


Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby Roco » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 pm

lol. I've had some worthwhile payouts in the past (by my standards - I've got a long way to go before Adele will be looking over her shoulder!), sometimes from really obscure stations around the world, so it's something worth taking seriously.
Roco
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:00 pm

Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby feline1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 pm

At least twice now over the past decade, PRS have grandly announced they've teamed up with an audio fingerprinting service (first it was Neilson, then it was Soundmouse), who would be able to automatically analyse all the output from radiostations and mean ludicrous days of some person in an office writing down a day's playlists with a pen and sending the list to PRS and them "extrapolating" to 365 days per year from that to pay people royalties would be gone.

But every time, when I asked "er, so how do we submit recordings to be fingerprinted so that they'll show up in the analysis?", I just get an "er, um, only a beta at the moment, move along there, nothing to see, lols" rubbish in return and replies from the PRS help desk that suggest they don't even understand the conceptual difference between a musical work and recording of a musical work.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck!
User avatar
feline1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~


Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby balvenie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:26 pm

If your music gets played and you are a PRS member you will get an income. If your music is played worldwide you will also get a good income if you subscribe to GEMA etc. It is all about understanding publishing, making sure you are not pounced on by a shark (your usual friendly Tony) and protecting yourself.
balvenie
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby redalert » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:14 pm

I've had numerous plays of my tracks on radio, but have never seen a penny in royalties - what's the crack there?
redalert
New here
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby narcoman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:22 pm

redalert wrote:I've had numerous plays of my tracks on radio, but have never seen a penny in royalties - what's the crack there?

You PRS registered?
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:00 pm
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby redalert » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Yep!
Registered with 'em all - PRS, MCPS, PPL.
redalert
New here
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby narcoman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:08 pm

then it;'s just bad luck that you've not been in a "sample". The payment system is skewed towards play listed acts - if they ever sort out the fingerprinting tech (which lets face it is so simple I could implement it in an afternoon) then everyone will get paid for each play....
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:00 pm
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby feline1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:17 pm

narcoman wrote:then it;'s just bad luck that you've not been in a "sample". The payment system is skewed towards play listed acts - if they ever sort out the fingerprinting tech (which lets face it is so simple I could implement it in an afternoon) then everyone will get paid for each play....


For at least half a decade, *ALL* BBC radio and television has provided 100% accurate complete and total playlist census info to PRS for every second they broadcast.

Funny thing though, when helping a friend get some royalties for having incidental music used in a BBC sitcom, I got to see the state of some of the "cue sheets" the BBC were emailing to PRS, and it became crystal clear why he'd never been paid! They were the Microsoft Excel equivalent of something a drunken tramp might scrawl on the back of a fag packet. In the dark. Using some lipstick.
User avatar
feline1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~


Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby narcoman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:16 pm

feline1 wrote:
narcoman wrote:then it;'s just bad luck that you've not been in a "sample". The payment system is skewed towards play listed acts - if they ever sort out the fingerprinting tech (which lets face it is so simple I could implement it in an afternoon) then everyone will get paid for each play....

For at least half a decade, *ALL* BBC radio and television has provided 100% accurate complete and total playlist census info to PRS for every second they broadcast.

Funny thing though, when helping a friend get some royalties for having incidental music used in a BBC sitcom, I got to see the state of some of the "cue sheets" the BBC were emailing to PRS, and it became crystal clear why he'd never been paid! They were the Microsoft Excel equivalent of something a drunken tramp might scrawl on the back of a fag packet. In the dark. Using some lipstick.

Yeah - as you've seen; there is a huge difference between what they say, and what is real.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:00 pm
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Re: Question About Radio Royalties

Postby MarkOne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:41 pm

The payment system is skewed towards play listed acts


So it really does all get paid to Adele then
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Peruses Gap, Milky Way


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests