You are here

My first major label placement overseas (UK) - advice needed

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

My first major label placement overseas (UK) - advice needed

Postby Sdtime » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Recently an instrumental I created here in the U.S. made it onto a well known UK pop groups' album. I received credit as a writer on the album and a good percentage of the writers share for the song. The terms were all solidified contractually with help from my entertainment attorney.

The album will most likely only be released in the United Kingdom. As I am living in the United States, I am curious what may be the best track I can follow towards collecting my share of overseas sales/performance royalties. I am curious if anyone has advice or has experienced a situation like this.

Info that may be useful:
*Registered with ASCAP (writer)
*I have been informally offered access to a publishing deal but am also curious if there are ways to collect royalties on my own.

I apologize for any missing or incomplete info. I am new to the business of publishing and could use general advice. Also I hope this thread may help others in a similar situation. :bouncy:
Sdtime
New here

Re: My first major label placement overseas (UK) - advice needed

Postby narcoman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Probably best to seek out a UK publisher on an admin deal. Look at Bucks, Imagem or similar. They do good rates and work hard.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Sdtime » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:40 am

Narcoman, That's exactly the information I'm looking for. Thank you!

Now to seek out the best terms possible.
Sdtime
New here

Postby narcoman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 am

you should be able to get a 90/10 deal for admin really. If you wanna PM me privately I may be able to hook you up with someone who can help
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby balvenie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Unless your "Attorney" can argue your tiny contribution in a UK court, and all the expenses your contribution made to the overall profits then all is lost. Oh, all is lost anyway, because, you did not do your publishing sums in the first place. As usual...

Edited to remove unnecessarily aggressive and dismissive comments -- HR
balvenie
Regular

Postby narcoman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 am

balvenie wrote:All you have read is rubbish. Unless your "Attorney" can argue your tiny contribution in a UK court, and all the expenses your contribution made to the overall profits then all is lost. Oh, all is lost anyway, because, you did not do your publishing sums in the first place. As usual...

He's not having top "argue" anything. He's a bona fida credited songwriter on a record doing very well looking for a route through to the UK for other placements as well as collecting his already assigned royalties.

narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby BigRedX » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Does the OP even need a publishing deal?

Surely if you are member of the relevant royalty collection agencies in your home country, so long as they have the correct international agreements with the other royalty collectors then you are covered?

Obviously if you want someone to help exploit other things you have written then a publishing deal is probably the way forward, but for simply collecting royalties AFAICS all a publisher would do is take a cut of monies already due to you.
BigRedX
Regular

Postby narcoman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:18 pm

BigRedX wrote:Does the OP even need a publishing deal?

Surely if you are member of the relevant royalty collection agencies in your home country, so long as they have the correct international agreements with the other royalty collectors then you are covered?

Obviously if you want someone to help exploit other things you have written then a publishing deal is probably the way forward, but for simply collecting royalties AFAICS all a publisher would do is take a cut of monies already due to you.

No - he doesn't need one for this. But If I was him I'd be looking to exploit this and get further connections. He's levered himself into a great start up position - now its time to push it.
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby balvenie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:00 pm

Sigh..so PRS are the first stop. and maybe GEMA..but does anyone know how to collect from Columbia..or Japan, or USA? Waiting to hear from the experts on here, except Feline, who can't get past Brighton.
balvenie
Regular

Postby narcoman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Yup.
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby balvenie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:09 pm

My fav person who cuts through all the ****
balvenie
Regular

Postby narcoman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:13 pm

haha

I've actually found the USA a real pain. I've nearly always just gone ahead with an admin deal through EMI. Just saves so much arsing around. Columbia is easy - SAYCO are fine and they have a decent team there (well for projects that seem to have promo behind them)

JASRAC unfortunately art a huge proverbial pain in the ass but a I do have great connection with a lovely German bloke working in Tokyo. Cuts through the crap of what is an incredibly red tape organisation.
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby balvenie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:19 pm

I have always taken your advice Narco :blush:
balvenie
Regular

Postby narcoman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:20 pm

not the rude ones I hope. I mean nobody should do those things unless accompanied by a responsible human being.....
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby balvenie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Now you are being silly..but I like it (cross legs)
balvenie
Regular

Postby balvenie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Incase anyone thinks I am not a girl I Am!!
balvenie
Regular

Postby narcoman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:05 am

:D
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby TheBev » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:16 am

Get a room people.. :blush:
TheBev
Regular

"The tech gets better, the user error remains the same.." Roberts Plant

Postby balvenie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:22 am

You get in the bowl! :D
balvenie
Regular

Postby narcoman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:27 am

LMAO !!!

Anyway - night aLL....
narcoman
Frequent Poster