You are here

The new Soundcloud

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

The new Soundcloud

Postby Frank Rideau » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:00 pm

This begins to be a common story.

1. A music or social networking website is doing great, building a nice community
2. They decide to go for an upgrade.
3. The result sucks.
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Re: The new Soundcloud

Postby OneWorld » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Frank Rideau wrote:This begins to be a common story.

1. A music or social networking website is doing great, building a nice community
3. The result sucks.

Why?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Chaconne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:01 pm

I tried the Beta, but it was so dysfunctional I had to switch right back.

Is it obligatory now? I still got old pages.

Anyhow, they do have to be careful, or else its all back to myspace. Which
actually was fine until they changed it!!!
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rideau » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Next SoundCloud is now the new SoundCloud, for everyone, -they say.
Frank Rideau
Regular

Postby oggyb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:20 pm

I prefer it to the old version. Have done for months.
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Postby Theremax » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm

oggyb wrote:I prefer it to the old version. Have done for months.

I've switched ours today and must say I much prefer it too. Also looks quite pretty with all our artwork more visible!
Theremax
Regular

Postby johnny h » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:05 am

3. The result sucks.
Just changed now, seems pretty good. Change isn't always bad.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:44 am

Seems ok to me and Ive got about twenty tracks on it. No complaints so far, I have to say. Just the front end seems to have changed...
JPH
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:33 pm

I hadn't seen it yet, and my pages looked identical to me...

...until I logged in and it informed me that I was running an old version of Soundcloud, so I clicked to see the new one...

...and really liked it! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby oktafish » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:32 pm

I tried and found that it looked great , the layout was perfect unfortunately when I pressed play to listen to music nothing happened. I mean Nothing, no sound , no scrolling - dead , so I rolled back. Hmmm...
oktafish
Regular

Postby A. AuCr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:18 pm

The profile page looks terrible, forced line-breaks mid-word in my band's name, descriptions for external links are gone and most of the profile information I entered is invisible without extra clicks. Looks very amateurish.

Groups subscriptions are nowhere to be found. Supposedly they're working on updates around the group functions at the moment.

And I don't see updates on what the people I follow are checking out, liking and commenting on.

Personally, I'm back to the classic view.
A. AuCr
Regular

Postby Frank Rideau » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Same here. Don't like the profile page. Have to scroll for truncated bio and description. but there is indeed nice bigger artwork.

And I don't have anything against changes. :tongue:
Frank Rideau
Regular

Postby Arthur Stone » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:36 pm

3. The result sucks.
Yes. A shift in emphasis from grassroots creator/publisher to consumer.

It is true that the new artwork is glossy and attractive but, like many other paying customers, I use SC for audio publishing and there seem to be no advances in that area and more of an emphasis towards mobile apps and promotion of established artists.

Several other websites have made a switch to the W8/mobile app style and the punters aren't impressed. I appreciate SC have a few bugs and maybe they will act on feedback and shift the focus onto what differentiated the site from others...it's sense of community and connection between aspiring artists.
Arthur Stone
Poster

Postby Jonnypopisical » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Am I missing something - it looks no different to me! :?
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster

Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Postby Frank Rideau » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:05 am

I was surprised by all the praises after my initial post. Maybe it's me and I'm wrong. Or just a reaction to my critic? Again I went there and played around. The new song player for example. Apart from looking nicer, it's kinda less clear. The comment bar is smaller, and user's icon are so small, you don't have a clue who posted a comment. Worse, when you want to read the comments, you click on an Icon and the name of the user appears and is hiding the other commenters beside so you have to move the mouse around if you want to read the next comment.
The top menu was something very clear and concise before and you knew where to find your things quickly. Now it has changed to something similar to Myspace, with little nice icons with a little nice heart on it. Nice little nice thingy for chicks.
It was easy to see when someone was already subscribed to you with Followers/Following maps. It was also quick to see in what groups someone was. Now you don't have any clue of this anymore.

I'm just tired of this. The internet community is a pile of crap, if you want to know. There is no community. There is business and customers. I pay for Soundcloud. I'm a customer. I expect they'll improve what I pay for because it will be necessary, useful and improved. Not to look nicer and hipper and with little icons with a heart on it.
Frank Rideau
Regular

Postby ChrisCarter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:49 am

I switched yesterday just to get rid of the constant 'nag' bar and found the new version buggy and unusable. There's less information/tracks per page, some buttons are not working/inconsistent and I couldn't access our 'Private' files properly. Very disappointed, have gone back to the old version.

http://soundcloud.com/industrial-records
ChrisCarter
Poster

Twitter | Website | iTunes

Postby Arthur Stone » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Most paying customers (on audio engineering forums) have switched back to classic as the new format doesn't offer the tools and functions that creator/publishers need.
Arthur Stone
Poster

Postby oggyb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:36 pm

I probably don't have enough info or tracks uploaded to notice these issues.
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Postby Chaconne » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:40 pm

No - I have had to switch back to classic, to many issues - its not ready.

Quote Frank "Not to look nicer and hipper and with little icons with a heart on it."

That just about sums it up. Its the simple concepts we need, but once thats done and becomes successful, they get bored and realise there is nothing else for their little creative hipster brains to engage with - so they start faffing about. No one really cares about 'Facebook' - the program, who created it, what colour it is - they just want to use something simple - anything.

Thats why myspace was good at the start. Look - here is some space - do what you want with it - put your sh*t up there and have fun. But- then it gets big, ad men come sniffing....

Soundlcloud have to be careful because people are paying, and if you think you can mess people about - look what happened to a service that was free.
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rideau » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:07 pm

You nailed it so much Chaconne. And it makes me sick.
Frank Rideau
Regular

Postby oggyb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:53 am

Frank Rideau wrote:You nailed it so much Chaconne. And it makes me sick.
That's a bit strong.
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:53 am

Chaconne wrote:I tried the Beta, but it was so dysfunctional I had to switch right back.

Is it obligatory now? I still got old pages.

Anyhow, they do have to be careful, or else its all back to myspace. Which
actually was fine until they changed it!!!

MySpace should be used as a business/marketing model example on how to watch your users leave in droves and hand all your business on a plate to Facebook.

MySpace was fine, natty, quick, functional, transparent easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, then they 'improved' it what a dog's dinner that was.

I used to get 100+ visits and up to 150+ plays each day and then during the makeover phase they messed my userid up such that all people got was a blank page, so I had to start a new account with a new id as the MySpace setup said "User Already registered" when I tried to use my proper ID, a complete washout it was.

And when I did set up a new account, it was slower, clunkier, confusing, unresponsive - everything a website should not be. Just goes to show, sometimes things are best left to the enthusiastic amateurs rather than bloated pros. What help did they give me, well of course, none. Ok it is free, but I would have bought into it, had it not been such a shambles of a site. When MySpace was in its original form, you'd have a list of tunes, click on them and immediately they played, ok we only had 6 tunes back in the day, but that was enough to give a showcase.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Well the new SC doesn't work on IE7, but I doubt they care much about that. :beamup:
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Frank Rideau » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:32 pm

oggyb wrote:
Frank Rideau wrote:You nailed it so much Chaconne. And it makes me sick.
That's a bit strong.

Yeah maybe.

But go on Oggy, tell us what is better with the new version, I think I put down what I didn't like about it, I'm curious to hear some pro comments about it now (and no irony intend in the post, really).
Cheers,
Frank Rideau
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:40 pm

I switched straight back to 'classic'. Makeover doesn't meet my needs.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Just went on there today and found I'd been dumped into the new version - hated it - got out as fast as I could. It's not often I take an instant dislike to something, but this was just totally wrong.

I also sent them an email saying so (prolly won't get any response).
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Save paradise, Pull up a parking lot!

Postby OneWorld » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:01 pm

There you go SOS, you got all this coming when you do a site makeover!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:25 pm

It seems there is quite a storm brewing over there. Lots of paying musicians extremely annoyed about the changes - and there a lot of seriously brain dead ideas on the new site - protest songs, very restrained but no nonsense and hard-hitting complaints, and threats to pull out.

I was thinking of becoming a paying user in the new year. I won't do so while the site is in the mess it's in now.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Save paradise, Pull up a parking lot!

Postby Chaconne » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:36 pm

I dont think some negative reactions to this are necessarily over the top.

As mentioned before, the common problem with these sites is that they underestimate the importance to the user of these sites, while overestimating their importance in what happens when these things succeed.

Soundcloud as well as being a bit of fun, is also a site where you can find collaborators, remix work, business contacts, interested record labels, or as a place to sell / advertise work. If you have invested time and effort into building up an interested base of followers the feeling that this can go 'poof' overnight, or start glitching IS a sickening thing.

So either its just a bit of social fluff where you 'heart' each other, or a serious networking tool. Thats what happened to myspace, it became THE thing, no messing with demos or other parties, just a nice important neutral meeting ground - almost a business card. But this fact completely passed them by.

Its like facebook not realising that people use this occasionally as a serious tool to keep in touch with families - or disseminate news, and while the important things in the world are played out in this context - they contemplate useless things like 'timeline'.

Its like a stoopid college based gossip app goes global by accident, becomes the new telephone and they have no idea what they have really done or show any sense of responsibility. They all act like google - like they are a bunch of laidback philanthropic hoody wearing hipsters - while one eye is always looking to sell everything on for the next big advertising / personal data deal.

/ rant over
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Philosophy Of Sound » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:48 am

How do I switch back to the old 'classic' profile? I can't seem to see that option anywhere after activating the new soundcloud, which I also find much less clear and harder to navigate...

Cheers,
MK

https://soundcloud.com/philosophyofsound
Philosophy Of Sound

Next