You are here

Piece in the Grauniad today about songwriter mechanical royalties from YouTube

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Piece in the Grauniad today about songwriter mechanical royalties from YouTube

Postby feline1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:17 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/18/can-songwriters-make-money-youtube

I'm not really any much the wiser after reading that.
It's the usual "PRS made a secret deal with Google and refuses to tell its own members what it is" (!? how can terms & conditions be secret from the people they apply to?! Whither Franz Kafka?)

Typically, MCPS don't appear to have ever paid anybody anything, and can't even tell us what their own rules are.
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Re: Piece in the Grauniad today about songwriter mechanical royalties from YouTube

Postby oggyb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Yes, an interesting article (and so is the one about the record companies, linked) but you're right, there's not much to go on in terms of "so... how do I do this?"
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Re: Piece in the Grauniad today about songwriter mechanical royalties from YouTube

Postby feline1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 am

I hate ads on Google anyways. If a click on a vid and it wants me to watch a non-skippable ad for a minute first, I usually just click a different one instead.
I hate those daft adds superimposed on the bottom too.
I never put ads on my own channel.
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby oggyb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Have to say I agree about the pre-roll ads. They're obnoxious.

However, I don't mind the bottom ads so much, especially if they mean the creators get some compensation, instead of Google benefiting endlessly from other people's content.
oggyb
Frequent Poster