You are here

Do I need a bar code for each track of an album?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Do I need a bar code for each track of an album?

Postby lovesexy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi all

Just wondering if I need barcodes for individual songs from an album. The album will be released on CD and digital. Give the fact that these days people are able to download single tracks, do I need one bar code for the album and codes for each song?
lovesexy
Regular

Re: Do I need a bar code for each track of an album?

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi there, no, typically you have one for a collective release.
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:29 pm

The barcode tends to be used for the physical album in my experience. Individual tracks need ISRC's and there may be advantages to registering your own rather than obtaining them from your aggregator.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby joswee » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:04 am

spam deleted
joswee

Postby lifemore » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:18 am

spam deleted
lifemore

Postby MikeW. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:44 pm

The individual songs on an album are typically identified with ISRC and ISWC numbers. The ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) is used to track sales of a specific sound recording. One song can have multiple versions and therefore multiple ISRCs. The ISWC (International Standard Musical Work Code) is used to track a specific song on a number of different sound recordings. ISWC numbers identify the individual musical works.
MikeW.
Poster

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 pm

James Perrett wrote:The barcode tends to be used for the physical album in my experience. Individual tracks need ISRC's and there may be advantages to registering your own rather than obtaining them from your aggregator.

James.

What are these advantages, and how do you register them yourself, rather than relying on the aggregator ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:12 pm

<pedant>
PPL don't create ISRCs, PPL allocate a 3-character-registrant-code to you, so you can create your own ISRCs (using that code)
</pedant>
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby feline1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Gone To Lunch wrote:
James Perrett wrote:The barcode tends to be used for the physical album in my experience. Individual tracks need ISRC's and there may be advantages to registering your own rather than obtaining them from your aggregator.

James.

What are these advantages, and how do you register them yourself, rather than relying on the aggregator ?

James is getting a little confused, I think :)
You don't actually "register" your ISRCs with anyone. Your national ISRC-administering-body (PPL for the UK) allocates you a 3-character-registrant-code.

Once you have this, you create your own ISRCs with it, and you don't have to "register" them anywhere, you can just write them on a grubby white board or the back of an envelope, or in a spreadsheet on your computer...... they're your codes and you issue them to your tracks. No-one else can issue codes with your 3-character-registrant-code in them, so they're unique to you.

What you will also want to do, however, is register your recordings with your national collection society for recording rights and performers. (In the UK, this is again PPL).
This will generally involve registering details of your recordings (including the ISRC you've assigned) on the collection society's database.
The advantage to doing this yourself is that you may do it better, more quickly and accurately than any 3rd party would (and not be charged an admin fee for the pleasure).
Registering your recordings with the collection society is the first step to them actually ever paying you any royalties.
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby molecular » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:06 pm

I don't know quite what he meant, Feline, but I'm pretty sure the aggregator I use offers us the choice of having them generate ISRC's using their 3 digit code, or for us to generate them using ours. We have our own code so send them our own numbers when we release - and we have them embedded at mastering stage. You could refer to these processes as 'registering'... :angel:
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.

Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby James Perrett » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:24 am

I'm afraid I didn't have the time to explain the process fully - so thanks for taking the trouble to do that Feline.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby feline1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:32 am

molecular wrote:I don't know quite what he meant, Feline, but I'm pretty sure the aggregator I use offers us the choice of having them generate ISRC's using their 3 digit code, or for us to generate them using ours. We have our own code so send them our own numbers when we release - and we have them embedded at mastering stage. You could refer to these processes as 'registering'... :angel:

Sure - but they're really just "using" your ISRC codes, not "registering" them.

(The semantic distinction being that "registering" implies that your ISRC will not be "official" or "recognised" until it has been through some sort of process or accepted by some kind of official standards body - but that's not the case. They're your codes, you issue them, and that's that. Your aggregator, all the online retailers, all the collection societies etc - they just use the code you told them to use. It's similar to your track titles: they're your titles, you make them up - if you say your track is called "ATTACK OF THE MUTANT LLAMAS" then it is, end of story. The difference is that another label or artist could also create a different track called "ATTACK OF THE MUTANT LLAMAS", but they couldn't dream up an ISRC code the same as yours, cos they don't have your 3-letter-registrant-code. That's unique to you.)
(lol sorry am in MAXIMUM PEDANTRY mode today)
:headbang:
feline1
Frequent Poster

Postby molecular » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:25 am

feline1 wrote:
molecular wrote:I don't know quite what he meant, Feline, but I'm pretty sure the aggregator I use offers us the choice of having them generate ISRC's using their 3 digit code, or for us to generate them using ours. We have our own code so send them our own numbers when we release - and we have them embedded at mastering stage. You could refer to these processes as 'registering'... :angel:

Sure - but they're really just "using" your ISRC codes, not "registering" them.

(The semantic distinction being that "registering" implies that your ISRC will not be "official" or "recognised" until it has been through some sort of process or accepted by some kind of official standards body - but that's not the case. They're your codes, you issue them, and that's that. Your aggregator, all the online retailers, all the collection societies etc - they just use the code you told them to use. It's similar to your track titles: they're your titles, you make them up - if you say your track is called "ATTACK OF THE MUTANT LLAMAS" then it is, end of story. The difference is that another label or artist could also create a different track called "ATTACK OF THE MUTANT LLAMAS", but they couldn't dream up an ISRC code the same as yours, cos they don't have your 3-letter-registrant-code. That's unique to you.)
(lol sorry am in MAXIMUM PEDANTRY mode today)
:headbang:

It's true. It's all true. :frown: :blush: :frown:
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.

Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com