You are here

Confused with all the barcode talk

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Confused with all the barcode talk

Postby lovesexy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:03 pm

I've been reading about where to obtain a barcode but I'm still confused. I need an EAN-13 barcode if I understand correctly.
Now, why do people buy from the likes of http://www.barcode1.co.uk/cds/ when they can create them one themselves?
lovesexy
Regular

Re: Confused with all the barcode talk

Postby BigRedX » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Because you are buying both the number as well as the physical barcode graphic.

The number has to be correctly formatted and be unique if you want to sell your product anywhere that requires you to have a barcode.
BigRedX
Regular

Postby lovesexy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:11 am

So I have to buy one then?
lovesexy
Regular

Postby BigRedX » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:35 pm

What are you selling, where and how?

Physical product (CDs, vinyl etc.) in shops then you will need one, although TBH I'm struggling to see the value in old-style physical distribution deals with the current state of record shops.

Downloads through an aggregator - it will depend on who you go with and whether you already have one for a physical version (see above) but most likely you will need to buy one as part of the distribution process.

If you run your own label and are registered with PPL you will need a barcode number before you can register any releases.

BTW if you have a UPC12 code from your US-based aggregator you can turn it into an EAN13 by simply adding a "0" to the front.
BigRedX
Regular