You are here

Spinal Tap v Vivendi

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Spinal Tap v Vivendi

Postby Mixedup » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:10 pm

Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Re: Spinal Tap v Vivendi

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:19 pm

The cynic in me says it will be an ugly mess with the only winners being the lawyers. But it will be interesting to watch it play out.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby InactiveX » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:16 am

It's such a fine line between clever and stupid.
InactiveX
Regular

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:51 am

It all depends on what their contracts said, of course. If they were contractually obliged to get a certain share of merchandise revenue, for example, then clearly they've been ripped off. If their contracts didn't specify this then fairness has nothing to do with it. They weren't gullible youngsters when they made the film so no claim of undue pressure etc, will fly. Hindset is a marvellous thing.

He's quite the litigator, Shearer. Didn't he sue or threaten to sue the Simpsons, too, about something or other? Poor lamb only gets $300,000 for each episode, must be hard to keep body and soul together.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster
Freedom of speech means freedom to offend

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:52 am

It's such a fine line between clever and stupid.

Serves them right for doing it in Dobly. You don't do heavy metal in Dobly.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster
Freedom of speech means freedom to offend

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:08 am

Wasn't he a house elf in Harry Potter?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Wealth gravitates upwards.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:30 pm

[rant mode]
Am I the only one who watches and waits in grim yet hopeful expectation of 'Spinal Tap' being able to actually bring lots of publicity to the very unfair practices made against almost all creative folk?

Surely most lay people would actually be horrified when they are informed that huge corporations claim that all major films/music tours/festivals etc. etc. incur colossal and ongoing expenses that effectively render them non-profitable for decades?

And that this is the reason why few if any creatives ever get more than an advance payment for their services/performances/talents, with no sign of any royalties accrued?

And that meanwhile billions of $/£ are being minted away by these corporations, their employees, accountants and backers, while the creators are left wondering why they have to travel on buses when the corporations are driving around in Ferraris, Rolls Royces and the like.

Yes, I know that the industry has been like this for decades, but I still hope that some good may come out of this.

[/rant mode] ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Am I the only one who watches and waits in grim yet hopeful expectation of 'Spinal Tap' being able to actually bring lots of publicity to the very unfair practices made against almost all creative folk?
Martin

Not in the slightest! But I think people in the creative fields tend to suffer a bit from a combination of perceptions that a) you're being paid to play so that should be its own reward* and b) it's all a cushy number, not like a REAL job.
As a result stuff like this doesn't tend to trigger the same emotions in people that it might do if it was happening in another profession.

* Because obviously that pays the rent...
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Martin Walker wrote:[rant mode]

+1. If these mega-blockbusters really weren't making any money, they would not be produced at all. The money is simply accounted elsewhere.
CS70
Frequent Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Glad I'm not the only one with fingers crossed hoping this may just do all creatives some good in the long run ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby awjoe » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:53 pm

How come he/they took so long to take action? Made film in 1984 and only just recently decided he/they were getting ripped off?
awjoe
Frequent Poster
"Against stupidity we are defenseless."  - ascribed to poor old Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who felt defenseless against stupidity

Postby CS70 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:23 am

awjoe wrote:How come he/they took so long to take action? Made film in 1984 and only just recently decided he/they were getting ripped off?

Best to ask them of course.. we can only guess. Could be due to the perspective is of a long and potentially costly litigation, which is not something one would enter lightly.

They may have had the idea all along but not taken action - like with most complex endeavors, you can well have the idea early on but wait until life is somewhat established (both as reputation and financially) before attempting them. Or just need to get the experience on how to do it.

Besides, the web-based marketing (and pheraps funding) ideas have been exploding recently and they're not obvious to everyone yet...
CS70
Frequent Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Dave B » Thu May 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Re Why it took so long. It could simply be a case of Harry Shearer finally having the money to sue for an audit of the accounts. However much I adore Spinal Tap, they aren't A-listers in either acting or music (criminally) so they may simply not have cash to spare. HS is now quite well off and could well be able to afford to ask this kind of question. And with a lot of the major companies, asking for something without a big (financial or legal) gun pointed at their head is often ignored.

I know ... so cynical ... (sigh)
Dave B
Frequent Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)