You are here

Managers and agents

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Managers and agents

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04 pm

I need advice on managers and agents.

I have been composing music for publishers (TV background music etc) for 20 years, and also songwriting and producing music. I am tired of using so much time looking for the work when all I want to do is spend time creating music. I'm not an solo artist/singer but I am a multi instrumentalist.

How would I find a manager or agent that will get me more work and take my career to the next level.

Any advice on what I should do or maybe suggest a different approach I can take in order to further my career?

Thanks
Marco Mastrocola
Regular
Marco Mastrocola Composer Musician Lecturer

Re: Managers and agents

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 am

Find all the people you can, who are at that 'next level' and look up who their agents are and write to every agent and follow that up with a telephone call.

The trouble with agents is, they don't want to know you until you are 'hot' - then they are all over you like a mustard plaster.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby DANSOS » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:01 pm

you should record some demo with professional help and try to send it to record company. Start with the small record company and maybe you will get CD recorded:-) think about video for this record.
DANSOS

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:00 pm

DANSOS wrote:you should record some demo with professional help and try to send it to record company. Start with the small record company and maybe you will get CD recorded:-) think about video for this record.

Done it already. I'm way beyond doing demos, finished masters is what I do. I have hundreds of instrumentals published for use on TV etc, and they have been used on TV for the past 20 years. I have a complete album of pop songs where I perform all the instruments and I co-produced.

I need a good manager to manage my career from now on.
Marco Mastrocola
Regular

Postby DANSOS » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 am

so add advert that you are looking for a good manager. I think this is really expensive option, not sure how much it will cost you. Maybe you should try it in other countries as well?
DANSOS

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:50 am

DANSOS wrote:so add advert that you are looking for a good manager. I think this is really expensive option, not sure how much it will cost you. Maybe you should try it in other countries as well?

Thanks, Ill try that
Marco Mastrocola
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:10 pm

There are agents who specialize in this. In the USA the larger film companies won't even talk to the talent, they want to talk to your agent. I tried an agent for awhile. The agent took 13 to 15% depending on how the budget was structured.
The problem is that agents generally don't find you work unless you are one of the A list composers, they expect you to keep hustling and then they will do all the paperwork and negotiating leaving you free to deal with only the creative end.
I am not an A list guy so after two years saw little advantage having an agent do what I could do anyway so we parted ways. I've learned enough, probably like you, about what a good contract looks like and all the non-creative issues we have to deal with.
But you might luck out with an agent and be at the right place at the right time. So what should you do?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:45 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:But you might luck out with an agent and be at the right place at the right time. So what should you do?

How do I find an agent? More importantly how would I know if the agent is any good? They must have a track record of what they have done mustn't they?
Marco Mastrocola
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:The problem is that agents generally don't find you work unless you are one of the A list composers, they expect you to keep hustling and then they will do all the paperwork and negotiating leaving you free to deal with only the creative end.
I am not an A list guy so after two years saw little advantage having an agent do what I could do anyway so we parted ways.

I had exactly the same experience some years ago with an agent, when I was authoring computer games. She had some big programming names on her roster, took me out for one expensive lunch, but never did anything for me project-wise, so we parted company after a couple of years :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Without an agent, your career is going absolutely nowhere.

Why?

Because if I am producing even a budget movie, say under $1m, I am going to approach my favourite agent and get a single complete package from them for the score, with studio, composer, arrangers, musos, studio, conductor, the lot. They (quite naturally) use the people on their books, who are experienced in the gentle art of movie scoring.

Making a movie is far too complex an operation, to then add to the whole difficulties by fart-arsing about with some composer knocking together tracks in his bedroom, who may or may not know how to deliver those tracks and what formats I need.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:47 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:Find all the people you can, who are at that 'next level' and look up who their agents are and write to every agent and follow that up with a telephone call.

How do I find who their agents are? Internet searches don't seem to be that effective.
Marco Mastrocola
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Look at the websites of those top composers in the field that interests you. They sometimes have the name of the agent or agents company that represents them. Then the trick is to get through to them or their personal assistant.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Marco Mastrocola wrote:
The Red Bladder wrote:Find all the people you can, who are at that 'next level' and look up who their agents are and write to every agent and follow that up with a telephone call.

How do I find who their agents are? Internet searches don't seem to be that effective.

You could always make out that you're interested in commissioning the services of the composer & see who you get directed to. Or maybe just contact people who have used their services in the past, say how impressed you were with their output & ask politely if they have contact details?
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

If you can get someone to commit to an imaginary man, you can get them to commit almost anything.

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:38 am

You can work it from the other end. Look at which agencies were commissioned for movie scores. Start with the blockbusters and work down!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster