You are here

Unhappy Soundcloud

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Well, according to this story in the Register all is not quite as it could be there:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/1 ... not_dying/

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Wealth gravitates upwards.

Re: Unhappy Soundcloud

Postby Dave B » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:42 pm

Yes, it's been doing the rounds all this week. I shall be very sad if Soundcloud does go - it's an excellent service for those of us who don't pay for it.

In many ways, I'm still surprised that it's free. TBH, if they told me 10-20quid a year for what I have now, I'd fork out. It's been rock solid and reliable for me. But then, I'm not exactly a power user.

Current thinking is that someone like Amazon or Google will snap it up in it's upcoming Christmas Sale. Hopefully someone who sees the benefit in keeping it broadly what it already is rather than forcing us onto an inferior platform.

Wait and see mode engaged
Dave B
Frequent Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby LdashD » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Dave B wrote: - it's an excellent service for those of us who don't pay for it.

In many ways, I'm still surprised that it's free. TBH, if they told me 10-20quid a year for what I have now, I'd fork out. It's been rock solid and reliable for me. But then, I'm not exactly a power user.

Exactly, I'd willingly pay for the privilige , felt like this the last time they were in trouble, so will def do so if and when, industry needs to get behind them, straight forward, no nonense, very important site for up and coming , brilliant easy way to share files/music/ideas, good for promotion too, down to the individual to attract traffic, all the big name dance acts are on there.

Sending out an SOS, Save Our Soundcloud.
LdashD
Frequent Poster
Lucid - Diverse Original Prolific Aesthetic - Renaissance man or Jack of nowt? jury's out, you decide, as it's all here on my YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/globalwarning

Postby Scramble » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:16 pm

LdashD wrote:Exactly, I'd willingly pay for the privilige , felt like this the last time they were in trouble, so will def do so if and when, industry needs to get behind them, straight forward, no nonense, very important site for up and coming , brilliant easy way to share files/music/ideas, good for promotion too, down to the individual to attract traffic, all the big name dance acts are on there.

You've been able to pay for Soundcloud for quite a long time now. £5 a month for some extra features, £8 a month for even more.

One of the problems with Soundcloud for me is that you couldn't re-order your tracks, unless you went for the paid upgrade. Which means that the free version is unusable for anything semi-serious, but £60 a year is not worth it for what is quite a bare-bones, visually boring site.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby LdashD » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Scramble wrote:You've been able to pay for Soundcloud for quite a long time now. £5 a month for some extra features, £8 a month for even more.

One of the problems with Soundcloud for me is that you couldn't re-order your tracks, unless you went for the paid upgrade. Which means that the free version is unusable for anything semi-serious, but £60 a year is not worth it for what is quite a bare-bones, visually boring site.

Yeah I know, but you know it’s free innit?

I mean if they appealed, or if someone with clout started a petition whatever.

For starters, the likes of me, with hardly any listens could be charge a quid, 50p a track whatever… that’s almost free and now I think about it, it would prob remove a lot of crap in the process too, not mine of course.

One man’s bland… I like it, don’t want no bleedin’ biographies, if I dig it I’ll dig deeper, it’s easy on the eye and the tracks are laid out in front of you, the pic may even entice you, I’m only interested in the music, couldn’t give a monkey’s wot the possibly sensitive precious artist thinks or likes etc, lets ‘ear the music first.

It’s unobtrusive, I’ve never had one spam email from them, only emails when they changed something, they’ve been hanging by a thread for yonks, industry don’t like ‘em I suppose cos it’s free, I’m only guessing, wot I’ve read, but they seem like decent sorts…

Black Bladder should get on their case an’ earn ‘imself a few bob in the process.
LdashD
Frequent Poster
Lucid - Diverse Original Prolific Aesthetic - Renaissance man or Jack of nowt? jury's out, you decide, as it's all here on my YouTube channel.

Postby Dave B » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Scramble - hear you on that one. This is where a lot of sites seem to fall down : bad pricing policies. If someone gave me a bare bones site with sensible functionality for a cheap price, I'd pay it and I suspect that I wouldn't be alone. But 60quid? For something that I use occasionally to host stuff that I can put elsewhere. It's a great platform and I'd be happy to bung them _something_ for it, but let's get real here.
Dave B
Frequent Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby Biodiode » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:08 pm

It would be sad if it does go, as I have almost 80 tracks hosted by them. I decided to back them up to Orfium just in case things do turn for the worst as I don't fancy individually uploading those again.

I could however never understand why soundcloud was in essence a free service. I am sure any serious musician, amateur or professional, would be willing to pay a few quid a month. Look at how cloud storage works, 15gb free then if you want 100gb more you pay a £1.99 a month.
Biodiode
Poster
http://www.biodiode.com

Postby Chaconne » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:45 pm

The dumb thing is that soundcloud has been a success culturally- and this is often just an accident and something you cant bottle.
Luckily I pay what I started paying being an early adopter - and being able to alter what the top tracks are is central to its function.

Someone needed to understand what soundcloud had become, the No 1 site for producers, and be happy with that. Not worry about Spotify, iTunes or anything else - this is for producers, which is an amazing unique selling point being able to communicate and get occasional free stuff and be in touch with music at the cutting edge.

But you could see this was not enough by the stupidity of not realising that the ability to put new work or 'hits' at the top of the page was a basic must have - not a luxury. People 'click by' and need to be wowed instantly. Thinking you could fleece people for this was just rude basically and betrayed a basic inability to empathise with how music online works.

I will be very sad if it goes - a site for hosting music with no adverts that became 'the new myspace' - only a group of incompetents would mess with that, but its just this madness that takes over people wanting to take over the effing world when all anybody wants is a simple space.
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby LdashD » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:49 am

They could open it up for licensing tracks to Companies, big and small, sign up to it through email, let companies/individuals trawl through Soundcloud, one universal fee across the board, or similar, even commissions… no extra paid promoting, just the luck of the draw, just like life itself, a lottery… I got loadsa stuff I’d stick up for that kinda deal, or if they must, make us pay for that service, not me though.

I like that you’re confronted with a big pic of a waveform, you can see the drops and you can scroll thru to them whatever, it’s the music that’s important after all.

Like Youtube it’s become a cultural storage medium, a museum, a music gallery, all the worlds unsigned music (& more) stored and freely accessible and all in one place, brill for us, brill for the world, if not Soundcloud then something else the same, or very very similar.
LdashD
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:56 am

I've always felt that they've had a bit of a deathwish. It is a great idea but I've found that it can be cumbersome to use at times and slow to load. Lately they've been insisting that I install their app if I want to listen to tracks on my phone or tablet - so I've given up following Soundcloud links most of the time.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby johnny h » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:09 am

They've spend a ludicrous amount of money building luxury offices in some of the most expensive cities in the world. And for what? The site looks pretty much identical to how it did 5 years ago and the mobile app is still crap.

I don't want them to disappear but the management the last few years has been absolutely terrible.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:29 am

I'm sure no musicians who use it (SOS does) want SoundCloud to disappear, but as a business owner I've never fathomed why on earth they needed 420 employees!?

Their hosting costs must be astronomical, with so many users/tracks, and no inkling of how many tracks will get uploaded tomorrow by their customers, in one month's time etc - a total nightmare to do any forecasting.

@James - I understand the upload speed for free accounts is well below what it is for their paid accounts.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Sound Advice tips: www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice
Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours and more: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:47 am

Forum Admin wrote:@James - I understand the upload speed for free accounts is well below what it is for their paid accounts.

I was thinking of the time I have to wait before I can play anything if I go to one of their pages. My upload speed is pretty dire anyway so I probably wouldn't have noticed Soundcloud being slow. Their continued use of Flash also causes problems sometimes.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm

James Perrett wrote:Their continued use of Flash also causes problems sometimes.

I don't have Flash enabled on Safari and can play anyone's SoundCloud tracks perfectly OK. AFAIK they implemented HTML5 a few years ago.

Try setting your browser to block Flash when on www.soundcloud.com and see if that improves matters?
Forum Admin

Postby Scramble » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 pm

James Perrett wrote:Soundcloud being slow. Their continued use of Flash also causes problems sometimes.

I find this too, on some browsers.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Scramble » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Forum Admin wrote:I'm sure no musicians who use it (SOS does) want SoundCloud to disappear, but as a business owner I've never fathomed why on earth they needed 420 employees!?

It's the old rule, a company that moves to swanky new offices will invariably go on the downhill slide after that.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby LdashD » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:51 pm

I’m guessing, business wise, maybe it’s a hippy kinda thing, that’s wot it always seemed to me down the years, seeing them & reading about their prob’s.

They had a very small office in Old St, (silicone roundabout) London, (very expensive now, tech firms are moving out) that I often passed by, lots other tech companies sharing the same space, perhaps they had similar around the World/Europe.

Too much staff I wouldn’t know about, but it doesn’t mean they were all on big salaries, plus I always felt that they haven’t sold or merged whatever, cos they want to preserve it as it is, maybe they care, even a little bit, I wouldn’t know.

I would imagine that any business, for arguments sake say SOS, should it ever fold, (highly unlikely though) would worry more about their staff being unemployed than they would be about me & others not being able to mouth-off ‘ere etc, so for all I know that may or may not have some bearing, they care about their staff, perhaps they’re friends too, this fairly reasonable if so.

It’s a maxim that you’ve, ‘Got To Be A Bit OF A Bastard To Be In Business’ I’m just saying even so, you can still make some decent dosh without fleecing people…

It’s possible that like perhaps SOS, Soundcloud might, to a certain extent, care about its punters, doesn’t want to fleece them…

Seems to me they started agroovy little business, and it just sky-rocketed, I’d hazard a guess that they’re struggling cos they don’t know how to continue in the same vein cos they need much more money and they don’t want to take it out of us poor ol’ musos pockets, I dunno, it just seems like that to me.

I haven’t had any issues with slow uploads, a free account from a desktop PC, nor have I ever seen an advert, don’t use it that much though, only when connecting with other musos, it’s just nice to have some stuff on a platform like that to share links with, send people to whatever.

Save Our Soundcloud, if not, replace it please.
LdashD
Frequent Poster

Postby radian » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Even if it keeps going somehow, it's lost the feature I was using most: Groups

( ...and the ability to quickly load the Android app and make a private recordings. Now it goes: log in again, ad, open menu where 'record' has been hidden....)
radian

Postby Scramble » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:01 pm

LdashD wrote:I’d hazard a guess that they’re struggling cos they don’t know how to continue in the same vein cos they need much more money and they don’t want to take it out of us poor ol’ musos pockets

I think the problem is more likely to be the reluctance of musicians (or anyone) to pay for anything they don't have to. Soundcloud does have paid options, so it doesn't look to me like they're not happy to take money from musicians. And £5 a month isn't much to take out of anyone's pockets, as long as you're providing a good and useful service. If musicians started signing up to one of Soundcloud's paid services en-masse then my guess is that Soundcloud would be happy, and would (reasonably enough) be patting itself on the back for providing such a good service that musicians want.

But as I said earlier, £60 a year is a lot for such a bare-bones site. You can run a proper website for less than that. You can run a Bandcamp site for free. I know some artists use Soundcloud seriously, but in my mind Soundcloud just screams 'place for starting-out bands and home projects to throw up a few demos, which soon get forgotten about.'
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby den83 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Any decent alternatives to soundcloud?
den83
Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:01 pm

The current 64,000 dollar question : what do we use instead?

I don't have anything on there which would be a loss if vanished, but it would be nice to know who to check out
Dave B
Frequent Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:47 pm

den83 wrote:Any decent alternatives to soundcloud?

HearThis.At might be worth a look? Germany-based. Started in 2013. It offers many similar features as SC, though their free 1GB of uploads account does have a maximum 'listens' and 'downloads' restriction (but it gets reset every Sunday, I understand).

Free account only allows MP3 upload files, but Premium paid-for account removes this restriction.

Last time I investigated, their annual sub was 33 euros, or 4 euros per month. (You have to create a free account and log in before you see upgrade pricing.)

https://hearthis.at
Forum Admin

Postby LdashD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
den83 wrote:Any decent alternatives to soundcloud?

HearThis.At might be worth a look? Germany-based. Started in 2013. It offers many similar features as SC, though their free 1GB of uploads account does have a maximum 'listens' and 'downloads' restriction (but it gets reset every Sunday, I understand).

Free account only allows MP3 upload files, but Premium paid-for account removes this restriction.

Last time I investigated, their annual sub was 33 euros, or 4 euros per month. (You have to create a free account and log in before you see upgrade pricing.)

https://hearthis.at

Really? And can you also point me in the direction of a replacement for SOS should the need never arrive, thought not.

Missing the point or maybe it's just me, i dunno, i guess it maybe personal how we see these things.

Lots of big Dance names and labels A+R stuff on there, upload it to 'em and they'll release it if good enough, Calvin 'arris und Slippin' etc do this... it's a cool site cos nowt's forced upon you... classical musicians could... any bod bleedin' could.. it's nice to 'ave it all in one dead simple place, innit or, er, innit not?

Me I don't dig deep, it's just a personal storage/promotion/sharing site, not so for others, every bod does it differently, my thing's youtube cos i do vid's, but soundcloud does wot it says on the tin, there is no alternative to Sound On Sound...

SOS
LdashD
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:12 pm

LdashD, I didn't say that HearThis.At was an exact replacement for SoundCloud. There is a lot of similarity in function, IMHO. I was merely proffering an answer to den83's query.

SOS has a lot of files on SC and we would definitely not like to see them disappear!

SOS ran an article back in 2010 promoting SoundCloud to our audience, which helped it gain some traction with home recordists, producers, sound engineers in its infancy, and I totally love the fact that my PreSonus Studio One Professional DAW software of choice has a built-in upload to SC function, as I believe do Logic Pro and other programs. It lets me backup my musical doodlings and share private links, easily and conveniently.

I agree SC presents a unique offering, and every user/subscriber probably views what it offers differently, and values it in different ways. Same for SOS.
Forum Admin

Postby den83 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:40 pm

LdashD wrote:
upload it to 'em and they'll release it if good enough, Calvin 'arris und Slippin' etc do this... it's a cool site cos nowt's forced upon you... classical musicians could... any bod bleedin' could.. it's nice to 'ave it all in one dead simple place, innit or, er, innit not?

SOS

Eye up me duck, wharra if'n we all gann'in 'n gannered 'by 'ere in a canny way'n spoke in dialects that wurr all aburrt, well, we'll nay be botherin' whayeverer ye knaaa wayest ye gorra when n'reit on reit it oot in yer scribblin'. We'd all berrer off'n wiya subtitles, aye? Ahh canna tell wherevver the frig yer on aboot. Can yers talk proper like in yers posts?

innit?

Where's me scran, I'm clamming
den83
Poster

Next